Need help on HD crash

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by SaltyDog, Aug 8, 2007.

Aug 8, 2007

Need help on HD crash by SaltyDog at 4:42 AM (902 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. SaltyDog
    OP

Member SaltyDog GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have a SATA drive that seemed to take a huge crap. I have several drives in my pc and all of a sudden i could no longer access my SATA drive. When I went to disk management it says the drive is now unpartitioned and needs a partition and reformatted. I DO NOT want to do this. I have a lot of pictures on this drive that I dont want to loose. Is there any program available that can help me restor my drive back? Or anything I can do. I just went kaput all of a sudden for some reason. Really frustrating. Thanks.

2. TheNeck

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    try connecting it to another sata port on your motherboard first, hopefully the sata port it is connected to is the problem. if not, most likely you will not be able to get any information from the hdd.

3. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    pr0n? I think it is gone... [​IMG] sorry dude

4. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Well... if it makes it easier for you the files are almost all there unless you threw a magnet onto it or something... but i don't know the name of the program that lets you recover shit before the HD goes completely to hell.

5. Linkiboy

United States
  6. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    Google "data recovery tools". Maybe you can find a program to help. But really you have no excuse not to back up. 1 GB thumb drives go for $10, DVD-r's, external USB storage 500MB.

Next time you know.

7. Linkiboy

United States
    You can also get a second hard drive and set up RAID 1

8. SaltyDog
    OP

Member SaltyDog GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks Linkiboy for the info. Got Stellar Phoenix and seems to be doing the trick. Gonna have to do a RAID for crap like this. Though when the drive gets problems that is usually the end of it. Oh and no it ain't pr0n, pictures of my son which I retardedly havent backed up on DVD. I would say this is a lesson learned but I am a dumbass and will prolly go through this again.

9. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    You might try to find a program to recover the partitions. I've accidently deleted a partition when messing around installing windows xp. I can't remember the name of the program that recovered it, but you could download a free demo. The demo would show you that it could recover your drive, but to actually recover it you needed to pay for the application.

I do think recovering my harddrive from a deleted partition was responsible for it breaking a few months later. Luckly I backed everything up.