Need help installing a linksys wrt54g wireless router on a 1port modem

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by rockstar99, May 25, 2009.

1. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    i need to install my linksys wrt54g wireless router on my adsl modem but my modem only had 1 ethernet port so if somebody could gimme a tut it would be helpful
    ps i want it for my wii n ds if that makes a difference

2. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    wall jack -> dsl cable -> modem -> ethernet cable -> wireless router

You need 2 cables, one from the wall to the modem, one from the modem to the router.

Hope that helps.

3. dark42

Member dark42 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Unplug your computer from the modem, connect the modem to the router's WAN port, connect your computer to one of the LAN ports.
    Then set up the router: on your computer open a web browser, go to 192.168.1.1, log in with the default username and password, change the default username and password so no one messes with them, set up WEP encryption to protect your WiFi. Normally I would recommend you use WPA2 but you want to use a DS so use WEP.

4. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    so i unplug the ethernet from the back of the cpu n stick it into which port internet port or one of the 4 lan ports then after that do i take the secnd ethernet cable n stick it in the cpu but where does the other end go plus every time i try to open the 192.168.1.1 page i get an errir that there is an ip conflict or something like that

5. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Does your isp use the same ip range for your connection as the wireless router does ?

You might want to google ISP name + linksys wrt54g problem .

If your isp uses the same address for assigning ip's you should be able to change your linksys one to say 192.168.100.1

This you do by connecting the wireless router directly to your pc and thus not having a conflict from the DSL modem (which you leave unconnected).

The manual (either online of physicle) should have enough information to allow you to change the starting range IP.

6. dark42

United States
    The first ethernet cable goes from your modem to your router's WAN port (they call this the "Internet" port).
    The second ethernet cable goes from your computer to one of the 4 LAN ports, it doesn't matter which one.
    After you get all that connected you should be able to get to the router's config page. If you still can't get to 192.168.1.1, post back and I'll try to help you.

7. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    i followed every single step but the internet doent work

8. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    sorry for bu8mping but i gotta go in 20 minz so could somebosy please help me

9. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    guys i got it connected and it works awesoe on my ds and wii but my pc cant use internet whenever the router is connected i just get a message that there is limited or no connectivity

10. dark42

United States
    On your computer, go to Control Panel > Network Connections. Right-click on the default connection, probably called "Local Area Connection", go to Properties. Left-click on the words "Internet Protocol" to select it. Press "Properties" below. In the box select "Obtain IP address automatically". Click OK in that box, then Close in the first box.

11. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It be really nice if you put some specifics on here instead of it is not working [​IMG]

Check if your computer is within range of your wireless router and dont forget that because one wireless device is working from that range doesnt mean another would have to as well ....

And dont worry no one is going to hack your 192.168.1.1 ip anyway [​IMG]