Need Help from Religious Christians

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by nintendofreak, Mar 11, 2007.

Mar 11, 2007
  1. nintendofreak
    OP

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    Im here again, working on a essay... Males and Fashion. Ill keep it short. Im trying to make the point that in the renaissance era, kings and rulers dressed "fashionabally" because they were trying to match their dress to that of the the Christian god, or saints. (thus even bigger reason to say that they were "appointed by the lord himself".) well, does it describe anywhere in the bible that saints dressed a certain way? Ive been to church some times before, and seen all the saints on the glass windows, but wondered.. how do we know that is how they looked like?

Thankee to all [​IMG]

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I do think you will encounter may people around these parts capable of giving you a sensible/informed response (I for one am not a fan of religion, that being said if it helps you get through the day though and you make no effort to convert me or laws then I have no objection).

The cynic within me says that most of that was made up as they went along and as and when it was needed (i.e. the tailor decided to erm make a donation) or to bear resemblence to the accepted dress of the time/peoples own vision of what should have been:
    [​IMG]
    Wasn't he purpordedly born in the middle east?, I am pretty sure neo-Nazi leaders have darker skin.

Back to the matter at hand I do not recall any passages describing clothing but unless it read something along the lines of "Jesus and his 13 man black ops team clad all in black appeared bows drawn before diving into a frenzied orgy of killing, maiming and torture" I doubt I would recall it.

*flame on*

3. nintendofreak
    OP

United States
    nah, im not one to flame, agree with you, just dont try to convert me, and im cool with it [​IMG]

But so true with Jesus being anything but "white"...

really makes you wonder...

4. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Apart from the description of the clothing of the priests in the old testament (when they built the temple), I don't think there's anything in there like that.

I don't know where you got the idea from, but that's gonna be damn hard to try and research, and that's if it has any sort of basis in truth at all.

Edit: Actually, the widespread perception (it's prolly in there somewhere) is that Jesus and the apostles wore simple, 'humble' clothing - nothing expensive or over-the-top at all.

5. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    I think if you look past the bible and look towards the external dogma, you'll find more of what you're looking for. Certainly there was fancy dress "back in the day" and you need not look further than the parable of the wedding feast to see what happens when you don't "look sharp" when you're supposed to (hint: darkness, gnashing of teeth.) However, Christianity has always skewed away from physical grandeur, the way I read it anyway. Certainly once you're dead you get the goodies, but while alive you're expected to be humble. Jesus wasn't big on rich people, unless they cast off that raiment first, camel through the eye of the needle and all that, y'know. I'm guessing that the Europeanization of the religion brought the whole fancy dress stuff to the table, and then I would hope, to emulate the kingdom of heaven, not earth.

Take all my opinions with a grain (or pillar) of salt though, since IANABS (I am not a biblical scholar [​IMG] )

..or a Christian for that matter.

That didn't help at all, did it?

6. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Seeing that saints were of both sexes, appeared throughout a period of 2000 years, came from different social backgrounds, countries and cultures, well, the only thing their clothes had in common is "don't be naked" (and even that rule had a few exceptions.). So no, there was no dress code for saints. And since they didn't actually know they were going to be saints (due to most of their beatifications coming a hundred years after their death), that makes establishing a "saints-only" dress code even more impossible.

The contemporary "saint" dress was defined by folk stories and legends, enforced by the clergy, always trying to influence both the rich and the poor into obedience, and into donating money to, well, the Church. So any fashion trend towards wearing "what the saints used to wear" was severely influenced by the Church trying to milk more money from the stupid rich. And looking around nowadays, nothing much has changed.

7. nintendofreak
    OP

United States
    Dirtie- your right saints are suppose to represent people at the time, and i doubt that everyone was rich enough to buy fancy clothes. and representing the poor through the eyes of the poor was probably a bigger deal for the saints.

mthrnite- wiki-ed the " parable of the wedding feast". Found it quite amusing.. not a pain to read like i had expected it to be

veho- you make a good point on the "trying to gain money from the rich" is there some sort of article on the internet/ book that would support this? You know essays, gotta cite sources [​IMG]

thanks Dirtie, mthrnite and veho! you've helped me capture my thoughts [​IMG] now to work on it.. in a while [​IMG]

8. Dirtie

New Zealand
    Just look at the whole history of the Catholic church throughout the Dark Ages [​IMG]

9. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    good point FAST6191,
    iv always wondered why Jesus was portrayed as white and long haired. He was a middle-eastern jew, so he should resemble something closer to an arab than an extremely white man with blush.

And he would have most likely worn very minimalistic clothing, how else would he have conveyed his humbleness

10. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    minimalistic clothing, yes.

He didn't have very many things/belongings since he was always traveling and preaching and healing. The only things he owned was the clothes on his back.

Most likely saints dressed in robes, since it was fucking hot out there. It's light and covers your whole body.

So what matters most would most likely be -the type of material- :cough: silk :cough:.

11. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    There isn't much in the Bible about how people dressed as far as I know.

Most of the drawings of people like Jesus and such are made up as to how people dressed and looked in that time period.

We're not even entirely sure as to what race some of the biblical people are. Moses for example has always been portrayed as a white man but in actuality, the chances of him being a black man is probably more accurate.

12. GameGeezer

Member GameGeezer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Rulers during that period dressed the way they thought saints would dress because they told the people that they derived their power from god. The more the populace bought into the theory and associated the rulers with the divine the more real power the rulers had over their subjects. I don't think the rulers actually knew what the saints wore and since they came from different periods there probably wasn't a special saint suit.... but it was important that the kings and rulers represented themselves as being sanctioned by and representative of god.

13. Dirtie

New Zealand
    Probably not the kings so much, but certainly it's a valid theory when you apply it to the pope (who is supposedly God's representative on earth) and the bishops of the time - remember, in those days they did have a LOT of the political power.

14. GameGeezer

Member GameGeezer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Since church and royalty were so closely related on all matters during that time the royalty represented themselves as being divinely sanctioned as well. The line between church and state was not well defined and often one did the bidding of the other.

15. Dirtie

New Zealand
    Agreed. [​IMG]