Hardware Need help fixing my N3DS XL

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So for a while now my N3DS XL has been having a strange issue. The system can randomly freeze, also messing with the on-screen graphics and also sometimes refuse to boot (just power led)
The system has had the homebrew launcher on it before but never had CFW. What I found most odd is that if I open a DSiWare or DS cartridge, the issues seem to disappear. Also, if I hold the system almost closed it sometimes stops the issues. My warranty has been void for a few years now and I am planning to try and repair it. If its a hardware problem I dont mind opening it up to try and see if anything is broken/loose. If anyone has any ideas please comment as I have no clue what is causing it. Apart from the fact that I have dropped the system from my bed countless times as I have been watching videos at night and fallen asleep.

Please help!
Thanks!

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
If you have never repaired one before, I would recommend you dont open it.
There are a number of tiny delicate connectors inside, and theres a high probability of making things even worse.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you own any physical game carts? I would like for you to remove the SD card and battery, reinstall the battery but not the SD card, and then play the game & mess with Home Menu. Report if the problems occur when not using the SD card.

Xathya

residence aparents trols of temps
Banned
Trophies
Website
knucklestheechidna.com
XP
Country
Australia
may the gpu frieds, sounds like.. shoulds contact nitendo xpress repair service asap to replace unit but before remov all trace of lumos or the ifixits woking at nitendo repair centres wil not repair konsole for ""tempers with system"

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
may the gpu frieds, sounds like.. shoulds contact nitendo xpress repair service asap to replace unit but before remov all trace of lumos or the ifixits woking at nitendo repair centres wil not repair konsole for ""tempers with system"
I don't think you read everything in the op. My warranty is void and I have never hacked it other than userland homebrew.

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you own any physical game carts? I would like for you to remove the SD card and battery, reinstall the battery but not the SD card, and then play the game & mess with Home Menu. Report if the problems occur when not using the SD card.
Haven't tried this yet but taking out battery and putting it back in does nothing. And what is strange is that if the system loads, I can carefully open a dsiware or ds cartridge and the issues vanish.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you read everything in the op. My warranty is void and I have never hacked it other than userland homebrew.

I believe @Xathya understands that. Based on his personal experience, your 3DS shows symptoms of failing GPU. We are only here to guide you with what we know or believe could be wrong with it. It is up to you to decide what you do with the information/analysis.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Haven't tried this yet but taking out battery and putting it back in does nothing. And what is strange is that if the system loads, I can carefully open a dsiware or ds cartridge and the issues vanish.

Does it happen without an inserted SD card?

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe @Xathya understands that. Based on his personal experience, your 3DS shows symptoms of failing GPU. We are only here to guide you with what we know or believe could be wrong with it. It is up to you to decide what you do with the information/analysis.

Does it happen without an inserted SD card?
Yes it still happens

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We could try recommending that you to install custom firmware [boot9strap, GodMode9, Luma3DS] and try a CTRTransfer in an attempt to fix your sysNAND if this is a software problem.

In process of eliminations with troubleshooting and repairs, I don't like to recommend the more extreme measures until all the easier/more simple solutions have been exhausted.

However at this point and with no CFW to test against, I am going to agree with Xathya and DeadlyFoez, that your 3DS may have internal damage that renders the GPU semi-operable & a heat reflow is needed. The GPU side for DS & DSiWare is not affected but your 3DS is.

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We could try recommending that you to install custom firmware [boot9strap, GodMode9, Luma3DS] and try a CTRTransfer in an attempt to fix your sysNAND if this is a software problem.

In process of eliminations with troubleshooting and repairs, I don't like to recommend the more extreme measures until all the easier/more simple solutions have been exhausted.

However at this point and with no CFW to test against, I am going to agree with Xathya and DeadlyFoez, that your 3DS may have internal damage that renders the GPU semi-operable & a heat reflow is needed. The GPU side for DS & DSiWare is not affected but your 3DS is.
I live in the UK and buying flashcarts is banned. Also, I'm willing to open the system but not hardmod and because on 11.4, those are my only options. Unless there is another way to install CFW.

I have a working 3DS on 9.2, if that helps. I also have a gateway card I can use.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live in the UK and buying flashcarts is banned. Also, I'm willing to open the system but not hardmod and because on 11.4, those are my only options. Unless there is another way to install CFW.
A ban would stop you from buying them in physical stores. There are several UK users on this forum. Have you considered purchasing them online discretely using GBAtemp's sponsor store, nds-card.com ? Or does this ban extends to privy customs check.

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A ban would stop you from buying them in physical stores. There are several UK users on this forum. Have you considered purchasing them online discretely using GBAtemp's sponsor store, nds-card.com ? Or does this ban extends to privy customs check.
I'm not sure of how much it's enforced, I just read some posts about it on this forum.

Quote from Eurogamer:

"It means that it is now illegal to manufacture, import, distribute or sell in the UK any device that is "primarily designed, produced, adapted or performed for the purpose of enabling or facilitating the circumvention of the ETM employed by Nintendo to protect its copyright"."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r4-cart-ban-more-details-emerge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure of how much it's enforced, I just read some posts about it on this forum.

Quote from Eurogamer:

"It means that it is now illegal to manufacture, import, distribute or sell in the UK any device that is "primarily designed, produced, adapted or performed for the purpose of enabling or facilitating the circumvention of the ETM employed by Nintendo to protect its copyright"."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r4-cart-ban-more-details-emerge

Well, I don't what to say. If you want to play it straight and clean, that's up to you.

Or, you can be like us, with unlimited power! Come join the Dark Side. :evil:
https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=149

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I don't what to say. If you want to play it straight and clean, that's up to you.

Or, you can be like us, with unlimited power! Come join the Dark Side. :evil:
I'd rather hardmod :P
If I ever have any spare money I'll pay for someone to do a hardmod. Unless I learn to do small soldering but I only recently learnt how to solder.
I will get someone I know who is skilled at electronics to check for anything loose or damaged. Thanks for the help though!

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Wish I could use that for video editing lol