Hacking Need help fixing bricked Wii using Bootmii.

kenshin9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone. I'm trying to fix my cousin's Wii. Someone else softmodded it for him, but luckily Bootmii is installed as Boot2. However, I can't do anything else from there. Without the SD card inserted, it goes straight to a black screen and nothing else. If I boot into Bootmii, I can't load the Homebrew Channel. It is a black screen as well. SaveMiiFree also doesn't work, if that can do anything for me. What other options do I have? Some info about the Wii from BootMii...

System Menu: 3.4U boot1b boot2v2

If you need some more information, I can dig some up. Thanks.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
do u have a nand backup? if so, try restoring it.

if not...
it sounds like HAXX vs JODI problem (when failing to launch homebrew), I'm guessing you have an older version of bootmii installed, which is trying to launch the older homebrew (title ID HAXX), but someone upgraded your homebrew (title ID JODI)... so when u launch homebrew, its trying to find the HAXX version, but its not there.

I can imagine solving your problem in a few (semi-complex) steps

1) make a nand backup in bootmii

2) use nand extractor to browse your nand, and extract all the folders inside it (title, tmd, shared1 etc.). Be sure to keep the same folder structure

3) launch show mii wads 1.2, change from show mii wads to show mii nand (in one of the header menu options at the top), change your nand backup path to whereever u extracted it to in the previous step. Now u should be able to see your nand

4) inside show mii nand, u need to modify your nand in 1 of 2 ways. 1) rename your HAXX title to JODI, or 2, find some1 with a JODI wad and insert that into your nand (so u will have 2 HBCs, HAXX and JODI). Then restore this new nand, and u should be able to access homebrew channel

5) now u need to use the homebrew channel to access dop ios or wad manager (if using wad manager, u can download the required wads using NUS Downloader), then u need to reinstall your system menu IOS and your system menu itself (I'm assuming its one of these that is preventing your wii from booting)

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
yes, that would also work! in fact it would be much easier to do!

only prob is getting cboot2 to work, I remember it took me a couple days, and I had to download twilight princess to get 2 small files from its update partition... if some1 were to PM some1 else who already has the files... they may save a lot of time *wink wink*

@longtom, do u know if cboot2 will launch a boot.elf file (ie the hackmii installer)? I know it can launch boot.dol files, but not sure about boot.elf files... if it cannot, I would use cboot2 to launch wiixplorer then use that to launch the hackmii installer.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
yup, loadmii and wiixplorer do pretty much the same thing, both can launch dols, but wiixplorer can also view photo's etc.

Hopefully wiixplorer or loadmii launches properly when using cboot2, I know some apps are not compatible w/ it

on a semi-unrelated note... do u happen to know how to take a nand backup (one made from fs toolbox, so it has folders like title, ticket, tmd, share etc.) and convert it to a nand.bin file typically associated with bootmii?

Reason I am asking is because I would like to be able to edit my nand with showmiiwads, then install it using bootmii

kenshin9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Yeah, my cousin doesn't have a backup of the nand file. I've read about the cboot2 briefly, but still don't know much about it. It sounds like you're onto something, so if you can point me in the right direction, that would be great!

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
longtom, were u talking to me or kenshin9

still hoping u might happen to know how to take a nand backup (one made from fs toolbox, so it has folders like title, ticket, tmd, share etc.) and convert it to a nand.bin file typically associated with bootmii

also, maybe it wasn't obvious, but I dont want u to do this for me, i want to learn how to do it myself

@kenshin9, we already gave u an answer... use cboot2 to launch wiixplorer or wiiload, then use that to launch the bootmii installer, and from there u can install a new version of bootmii which will be able to launch your JODI homebrew channel. After that continue from step #5 of my first post (post #2)

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
not sure if it's possible could have look into it but I don't think it'll work cause you could repack nand and install and a vital part could be on where one of your bad blocks are and you could brick your wii

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xflak40 said:
oooooh, forgot about triiforce, lol

ok, I'll ask Leathl about it, if you hear anything about re-packing the nand let me know!

@kenshin9, we got a little sidetracked, but good luck fixing ur cuzins wii!
I think some people can do it it's just they don't want to let their secrets out

kenshin9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, that's no problem. I try to pick up on whatever people talk about anyway. But I think I'm making some progress. I tried the cboot2 method with LoadMii. Strangely enough, I don't think it boots into it, but instead loads the Wii Menu, which I couldn't get to before through BootMii. Games in the disc channel seem to work, and I loaded a Secret of Mana VC game. It loaded, but seemed to glitch a bit. When returning to the Wii Menu through the home button, it went to a black screen and stayed there. I'm going to play around with this some more, but if you have any ideas or suggestions on what I could do, that would be great too.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
kenshin9 said:
Haha, that's no problem. I try to pick up on whatever people talk about anyway. But I think I'm making some progress. I tried the cboot2 method with LoadMii. Strangely enough, I don't think it boots into it, but instead loads the Wii Menu, which I couldn't get to before through BootMii. Games in the disc channel seem to work, and I loaded a Secret of Mana VC game. It loaded, but seemed to glitch a bit. When returning to the Wii Menu through the home button, it went to a black screen and stayed there. I'm going to play around with this some more, but if you have any ideas or suggestions on what I could do, that would be great too.
What you need do is just install ios50 v4889 use NUS to download and make wad get into HBC and run wad manager and install hopefully that does the trick
what was the last thing installed before it started to glitch could be a banner problem can you get into wii settings to delet the vc or wiiware thats been installed

kenshin9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an update. Thanks everyone for the help. I've got the Wii booting up properly now. The cboot2 method really helped me out, and then I used bannerbomb to reinstall the homebrew channel, then updated the system to the 4.0U firmware. The only problem now is that video doesn't seem to show in the VC games. Only sound comes on, and if I push the home button, video comes on again and I can see the frame of the game in the background. But at least the system is working now. So I'll just play around with it. Thanks again.

kenshin9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used Wanniko's firmware updater to bring it to 4.0U. And I already solved the problem with the VC games I just mentioned. Everything is as good as new!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself