GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if there's a software license for open-source code that allows: The free distribution of the source code, however no modifying without the creator's consent? And the free distribution of the program, with no modifications being allowed?

I have a project in sourceforge.net (search Golden sun FLASH) I currently have acedemic license, but that allows people to change and redistribute it under their name. I don't want that. That's 1 reason why i haven't uploaded any files. reason 2 is because i don't have a working battle engine yet.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some would argue that goes against the spirit of open source software but not me, that being said I would not personally go for a license that restrictive.

I would suggest you modify an existing license (there was one for a free MMO a while back that may work with a bit of modification, it dealt with the artwork though rather than the code behind it, Microsoft of all things may have an existing license that matches your criteria perfectly) or simply create your own stating those terms.
Just out of curiosity you appear to not want wholesale redistribution but would you find it objectionable for someone to utilise a section of code?

Bear in mind though such a license may make it extremely difficult to integrate other code for aything other than private use.

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i don't care if someone uses a section of my code, i just don't want someone to take my code, and then call it theirs, or add/subtract a little bit and call it theirs. (Ex: changing damage amount by one point, etc)

i guess i didn't think when i wrote "no modifications being allowed," you're right that does sound really dumb.

I wouldn't care if someone made modifications, but if they do, not to distribute it as what mine is called, or if they want to call it by the same name, to ask me first. (pretty much force manners)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see what you mean now.
Truth be told a license will not help prevent such a situation (for one you can disassemble a file and hack it that way and never have to even see your source code) and anyone who wants to will.
My suggestion still is try and find one that is mutually compatible with the majority of other licenses or write your own, this will help you integrate code and others use your code.

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thanks FAST. Disassembling files is hard, once i wanted to try to see if i could disassemble the OoT n64 ROM, and when i found one, it said that it could be dissassembled into machine code (via that disassembler) which doesn't help at all.
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.