Homebrew Need Help finding A 9.0/9.1/9.2 3DS Game

zbw2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i'm thinking about buying a used 3DS to use things like gateway and ninjhax but while I was looking for one online it was a lot easier to fine 3DS's with a system version grater that 5.0.0 than one with less than 4.5.0.

Basically what i want to know is what games come with a 9.0, 9.1, or 9.2 system menu update on them. If i can get one that has the right version on it I will be able to update from the card and then use all of the exploits i need to.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
You don't need to update to 9.x to use Ninjhax or Gateway, they both work on anything from 4.5 up to 9.2 and everything between.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you plan on getting a Gateway and aren't using a 2DS or N3DS, you can buy the 3DS that's greater than 5.0 but less than 9.0, downgrade to 4.2, and use emuNAND with the latest system version (presently 9.5.0-23) for everything else.

If you are using a 2DS, you can do the same thing minus the downgrade, so you'll have to rely on the internet browser exploit. Any non-N3DS between 4.1-9.2 will work with Gateway.

zbw2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you plan on getting a Gateway and aren't using a 2DS or N3DS, you can buy the 3DS that's greater than 5.0 but less than 9.0, downgrade to 4.2, and use emuNAND with the latest system version (presently 9.5.0-23) for everything else.

If you are using a 2DS, you can do the same thing minus the downgrade, so you'll have to rely on the internet browser exploit. Any non-N3DS between 4.1-9.2 will work with Gateway.

i thought gateway used the ds exploit on 4.x or the spider exploit on 9.0/9.1/9.2. how does gateway work in between ?

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are adamant on getting on 9.0-9.2, then the only game cart that has that update is a newer batch of Super Smash Bros. It comes with 9.2.0.20 iirc, but you cannot tell the difference via box from the 9.2 cart or 7/8.x cart (not sure if its 7.1 or 8.1)

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are adamant on getting on 9.0-9.2, then the only game cart that has that update is a newer batch of Super Smash Bros. It comes with 9.2.0.20 iirc, but you cannot tell the difference via box from the 9.2 cart or 7/8.x cart (not sure if its 7.1 or 8.1)

Right. I managed to find one and the box is identical to the 8.1 box, sadly :/

But if you buy a brand new copy of the game from a store that's fairly popular (my local Best Buy restocks a lot, I guess it all depends where you live) then there's a good chance it'll be from the newer batch and have that 9.2 update on it.

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right. I managed to find one and the box is identical to the 8.1 box, sadly :/

But if you buy a brand new copy of the game from a store that's fairly popular (my local Best Buy restocks a lot, I guess it all depends where you live) then there's a good chance it'll be from the newer batch and have that 9.2 update on it.

Honestly, I wouldn't expect any major changes on the boxes to tell them apart

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I wouldn't expect any major changes on the boxes to tell them apart

Well, Mario Kart 7 had a B on the stock number instead of an A, and that version had the 1.1 update included. A few other games have B-versions too (even a C-version of Mario Kart 7), but from what I can tell those are just aesthetic changes on the box now, instead of denoting cartridge revisions.

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe on the back of the cart, by the pins, it'll say something about a 9.2 update? I remember When I was looking for a v1.0 copy of SSBM back in the gamecube days, it would say what revision it was on the center of the disk.

zbw2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, so i know now that i dont need a 9.2 system for gateway but would i be able to tell what version smash is by the number on the cartridge?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
There is a way to update to 9.2 without a game. You have to update emunand to 9.2 using CIAs built with UpdateCDN or 3DNUS, then use rxTools to flash a firm0/firm1 bin files from a working 9.2 dump. Since you don't have 9.2, you'd have to obtain these files from someone else. I have successfully updated my 4.5 3DS XL to 9.2 using just CIAs built using UpdateCDN. (used 3DNUS to build eShop CIA as the one from UpdateCDN wouldn't install). Then injected the firm0.bin/firm1.bin files to emunand using rxTools. (files must be named emu_firm0.bin and emu_firm1.bin and you need to have version 1.3 or higher as rxTools 1.2 and older did not feature emunand injection yet)

The emu_firm0/emu_firm1.bin files should be located in a folder called "nand" at the root of your SD card. That's where rxTools expects them to be when injecting partition dumps back into emunand. rxTools doesn't yet support injecting directly to sysnand. But even if it did, it would not work in this case as you wouldn't be able to boot into rxTools after updating system to 9.2 (as then you'd have to install the CIAs directly to sysnand. But that's a very bad idea as I have just mentioned). The system will likely lockup if you try to use anything after updating to 9.2 directly. (normally the 3DS reboots, but DevMan doesn't force you to do that)

Either way, you must use emunand to update to 9.2, then inject working firm files from an existing 9.2 dump, then extract that emunand and flash it to sysnand using Gateway menu.

That's pretty much how I did it. I did notice the friends list menu locked up the first time I tried to use it after updating to 9.2. I formatted from system settings and it worked fine after that. So certain settings you had on 4.x may not update correctly once on 9.2. If you notice certain things locking up like the friends list, you'll need to format the system to reset it so that it works. ;)

redmagejosh

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
There is a way to update to 9.2 without a game. You have to update emunand to 9.2 using CIAs built with UpdateCDN or 3DNUS, then use rxTools to flash a firm0/firm1 bin files from a working 9.2 dump. Since you don't have 9.2, you'd have to obtain these files from someone else. I have successfully updated my 4.5 3DS XL to 9.2 using just CIAs built using UpdateCDN. (used 3DNUS to build eShop CIA as the one from UpdateCDN wouldn't install). Then injected the firm0.bin/firm1.bin files to emunand using rxTools. (files must be named emu_firm0.bin and emu_firm1.bin and you need to have version 1.3 or higher as rxTools 1.2 and older did not feature emunand injection yet)

The emu_firm0/emu_firm1.bin files should be located in a folder called "nand" at the root of your SD card. That's where rxTools expects them to be when injecting partition dumps back into emunand. rxTools doesn't yet support injecting directly to sysnand. But even if it did, it would not work in this case as you wouldn't be able to boot into rxTools after updating system to 9.2 (as then you'd have to install the CIAs directly to sysnand. But that's a very bad idea as I have just mentioned). The system will likely lockup if you try to use anything after updating to 9.2 directly. (normally the 3DS reboots, but DevMan doesn't force you to do that)

Either way, you must use emunand to update to 9.2, then inject working firm files from an existing 9.2 dump, then extract that emunand and flash it to sysnand using Gateway menu.

That's pretty much how I did it. I did notice the friends list menu locked up the first time I tried to use it after updating to 9.2. I formatted from system settings and it worked fine after that. So certain settings you had on 4.x may not update correctly once on 9.2. If you notice certain things locking up like the friends list, you'll need to format the system to reset it so that it works. ;)
Would you happen to have a guide for that? I hape a 3DS which i currently have at 8.1 and want to update it to 9.2 so I canlogin to nnid since on 8.1 it forces me to update for some reason. I want to update the sysnand to a 9.2

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I posted a basic guide on this here:

http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-pbt-cfw-import-cias-on-your-sysnand.383242/page-3#post-5381272

Note that you need to get rxTools 1.3 and use UpdateCDN/3DNUS to get your CIAs. You can also use a game rom to update emunand instead and go from there. Just make sure you use the correct region rom/CIAs and that you don't accidently install n3DS only stuff as that will cause a bricked emunand. Make sure emunand boots before you flash it to sysnand. If emunand doesn't boot you did something really wrong or installed n3DS stuff on a non n3DS system (as will be the case for awhile until an exploit for n3DS comes out)

Just note that updates from games will not install the browser, so I recommend at least getting the CIA for the 9.2 browser. Gateway's exploit should still work with whatever browser you happen to have before updating, but note that systems that never got updated via internet and were launch consoles will not have the browser installed, so you should never update those past 4.5 without installing the browser first.

Of coarse you also need the firm0.bin and firm1.bin files from a known to be working 9.2 dump. Those I can't provide here for obvious reasons.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a way to update to 9.2 without a game. You have to...(long description deleted)

I'm pretty sure that that
1) would be excessively complicated for a newbie, and
2) do him no good anyway since he has no reason to want 9.2 specifically. (He just asked for 9.2 since he wasn't aware the browser exploit works on lower firmware as well.)

redmagejosh

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
I'm pretty sure that that
1) would be excessively complicated for a newbie, and
2) do him no good anyway since he has no reason to want 9.2 specifically. (He just asked for 9.2 since he wasn't aware the browser exploit works on lower firmware as well.)

As a matter of fact I'm not that much of a newbie and I need 9.2 since I have a 3ds that is on 8.1 an won't let me log in to nnid without updating so I can't play online however that did not happened to me on my other 3ds that is on 9.2. I read a couple of post from another guy who had the same issue on 8.1 and 7.1 so it seems to be related to that issue

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need 9.2 since I have a 3ds that is on 8.1 an won't let me log in to nnid without updating so I can't play online however that did not happened to me on my other 3ds that is on 9.2.

You don't use the 8.1 to log in. What you do is leave your SysNAND at 8.1, and create EmuNAND, then update the EmuNAND to 9.5 and log in from that. Nowhere in the process do you need 9.2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte