Need Help Controlling Graphics Card Fan Speed RPM

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Sly 3 4 me, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Sly 3 4 me
    OP

Member Sly 3 4 me GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hello, I recently bought a graphics card and the fan only runs at one speed (Speedfan and other programs do not even recognize the RPM of the fan). It has a two pin/wire connector for the fan, meaning it only controls the voltage. It is not able to control the fan because it doesn't have three or four pins. Right now the fan is around three times louder than my CPU fan, which I find rather comical. The fan idles on 25C and is 32C while playing Skyrim and other games. I have considered actually unplugging the fan to see if it is able to operate at a moderate temperature without it, but I'd rather not for obvious reasons. 32C seems fine to me, I don't think the fan needs to be running at the speed that it is.

Is there a way for me to modify it through the bios, programs, etc to be able to control it or set the normal speed to be lower? I'd rather avoid decreasing the voltage because I'm not sure if that will cause any damage to it. Is there a way to modify the BIOS on the card to indicate a lower default RPM? It operates at this speed steadily, which isn't too bad since it's the only thing I actually hear...

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    what card is it?

3. Sly 3 4 me
    OP

United States
  4. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    did you check in nivida control panel?
    http://www.fanhow.com/knowhow:Change_nvidia_video_card_fan_speed_27843686

5. Sly 3 4 me
    OP

United States
    Yes, I have that installed with my normal control panel and an Nvidia Monitoring utility I thought might help. The Core Bus and Memory Bus can be adjusted resulting in some red lines and then reverting back to an acceptable amount, but the Fan control is pretty much junk considering the lowest it goes is 136.84%, and the highest it goes is 236.84%, which both don't actually change it at all as it's a two pin configuration as mentioned.

[​IMG]

6. Attila13

Member Attila13 Praise the Creep!

Romania
    Did you tried with the MSI Afterburner?

7. Sly 3 4 me
    OP

United States
    Yeah, it doesn't change when adjusting the slider and applying it.

8. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    if you're not afraid of manual work and electrical tape, you can always fit one of those:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118217
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995073
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995011

9. Sly 3 4 me
    OP

United States
    Yup, I actually just purchased one of those from Amazon, the first one you linked. Hopefully it will work as I'm not 100% familiar if only plugging in two of the pins into the three pin adapter will allow me to control it. If I were to set it and leave it at a certain setting, will it most likely retain that speed between system power on and off?