tehnoobshow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi guys,
So my dad was gonna buy me a new PC next month but he's suddenly changed his mind and said he will buy me a laptop instead (according to him our current desktop pc is fine) and he's willing to dish out up 500-550 pounds. But i need help choosing a good laptop.

I want one that is very fast and is good for high quality games and i would like the hdd memory to be around 500-600gb.
Also i would like one with a good movie and graphics card.

Oh and i wouldn't mind if it had hdmi output.

with all this in mind any suggestions?

would really appreciate it

thanks

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Don't know much about laptops but..

~550 pounds won't be enough for a laptop good enough to play high quality games on *high settings*.

To be the most cost-effective, I'd leave the gaming for desktop computers unless you have enough money to dish out for a gaming laptop.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Make a list of Mobile GPUs that will play the games you want: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Game...ds.13849.0.html
Search through online shops with a filter (Newegg.com can do this, but you're in the UK) for those GPUs or find a list of laptop models that have those GPUs
Get a minimum of a dual core @ 2.2GHz
Get a minimum of 4GB of RAM (6GB is nice, 8GB is pretty much overkill)

I recently helped my friend shop around for a laptop for college and he found a real nice one for just under $600 USD -- but then his dad went out and bought him one (slightly faster CPU, slightly weaker GPU, bigger screen).

Raiser said:

~550 pounds won't be enough for a laptop good enough to play high quality games on *high settings*.
550 Pounds is $893 USD or $879 CAD... Stick to your first point.

tehnoobshow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raiser said:

To be the most cost-effective, I'd leave the gaming for desktop computers unless you have enough money to dish out for a gaming laptop.
Damn that only just occured to me........i may have persuade to buy a more expensive laptop might be able to to if i get three A grades in my next three science gcse's.

QUOTE(twiztidsinz @ Mar 20 2011, 07:23 PM) Make a list of Mobile GPUs that will play the games you want: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Game...ds.13849.0.html
Search through online shops with a filter (Newegg.com can do this, but you're in the UK) for those GPUs or find a list of laptop models that have those GPUs
Get a minimum of a dual core @ 2.2GHz
Get a minimum of 4GB of RAM (6GB is nice, 8GB is pretty much overkill)

I recently helped my friend shop around for a laptop for college and he found a real nice one for under $600 USD -- but then his dad went out and bought him one (slightly faster CPU, slightly weaker GPU, bigger screen).

Thanks gonna look at this with him when he gets home from work.........might take a look at it by myself in the mean time.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
tehnoobshow said:
Raiser said:

Damn that only just occured to me........i may have persuade to buy a more expensive laptop might be able to to if i get three A grades in my next three science gcse's.
Don't get me wrong, with that much you'll still be able to get a decent laptop capable of running most games, just not on the highest settings (low ~ medium most likely).

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
600 pounds is stretching it, but you can find a laptop that can play games at good settings for that price, just be sure to google components and check benchmarks for a general idea of how it will perform.

asus, toshiba and sony generally make good laptops for the money.

ultimately though, you would probably be better off making a desktop to play games.

I would help further, but the only major online retailer I know of is Newegg, being an american and all.

tehnoobshow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raiser said:
tehnoobshow said:
Raiser said:

Don't get me wrong, with that much you'll still be able to get a decent laptop capable of running most games, just not on the highest settings (low ~ medium most likely).
Well i guess a laptop with mid-high settings would also be ok.

QUOTE(Advi @ Mar 20 2011, 07:27 PM)
600 pounds is stretching it, but you can find a laptop that can play games at good settings for that price, just be sure to google components and check benchmarks for a general idea of how it will perform.

ultimately though, you would probably be better off making a desktop to play games.
Yeah 600 probably the max he would be willing to pay.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Advi said:

I would help further, but the only major online retailer I know of is Newegg, being an american and all.
I'd replace Sony with Acer.
I think my friend got an Acer Aspire and he plays just about everything he owns on high or medium-high settings at 50~60FPS.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
twiztidsinz said:
Advi said:

I think my friend got an Acer Aspire and he plays just about everything he owns on high or medium-high settings at 50~60FPS.
Has been mentioned before, depends on the hardware inside the machine, so we're not replacing anything here.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Advi said:

computing power =! quality, acer has pretty bad failure rates.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
twiztidsinz said:
Advi said:

Has been mentioned before, depends on the hardware inside the machine, so we're not replacing anything here.
Huh?

First off, no one in this thread (aside from me) mentioned Acer.
Second off, we're talking in general so specifics aren't an issue.
Advi was giving a list of cheap brands... Sony typically ISN'T cheap and Acer is, hence why I said "replace Sony with Acer".

QUOTE(Advi @ Mar 20 2011, 02:40 PM)
Can you back this up with anything more than anecdotal evidence?
Personally, I've not seen them fail any more than another big-name brand.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Berthenk said:
twiztidsinz said:
Advi said:

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/laptop-reliability-1109/
squaretradenov2009-lg3.jpg

tehnoobshow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Advi said:
twiztidsinz said:
Berthenk said:
twiztidsinz said:
Advi said:

I wouldn't mind an acer.......but probably gonna go for toshiba, sony or asus.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Advi said:
twiztidsinz said:
Advi said:
computing power =! quality, acer has pretty bad failure rates.Can you back this up with anything more than anecdotal evidence?

Good on you for not just randomly spouting off something as fact and actually having proof/evidence to back it up.

But, the data could potentially be skewed:QUOTE
Only malfunctions reported directly to SquareTrade are included in the data. Other malfunctions,
including software issues handled directly by the retailer, problems associated with product
recalls, and those fixed by software/firmware updates, may not be represented in this data.
But either way, you provided proof so I'm not going to argue and concede the point to you.

tehnoobshow

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
Consider the possibility of getting a Sandy Bridge laptop. Quote from wiki:
QUOTE said:
All mobile processors use Intel's Graphics sub-system HD 3000 (12 EUs).
Intel graphics aren't the best, but the HD 3000 has been shown to handle modern games like Starcraft 2.
I want to play games like fallout 3, Mass effect 1 and 2, Portal and Crysis.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
tehnoobshow said:
Wanna to play games like fallout 3, Mass effect 1 and 2, Portal and Crysis.
Want to try correcting the grammar?

I've heard Intel HD 3000 can play FO3 on medium settings, and I know it can play Portal flawlessly (Intel GMA 4500HD could, and that's 3 gens old). ME is a weird case though, since even though Intel GMA HD (last gen) is supposed to be good enough to run it, it won't launch. Don't know about HD 3000. As for Crysis... those who want to play it can use their gaming PCs using real graphics cards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: