Need help choosing a hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by dilav, May 20, 2008.

May 20, 2008

Need help choosing a hard drive by dilav at 6:06 AM (1,443 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. dilav
    OP

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I need help choosing a hard drive i want to put it in a external enclosure. What should i get 500GB 750GB or 1TB? Which ones are good? Brand...? Ive heard a few stories of 1TB drives dieing, my friends 1tb died within a month...is it just bad luck? should i get one?

2. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Get either a Western Digital or Seagate. 'Nuff said. DON'T get samsung (they don't deserve a capital s in my book). I've had many bad experiences with that brand...

ALSO beware that your external casing can support more than 500GB. Some cases don't support hard drives larger than 500GB.

3. tomqman

Member tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

United Kingdom
    ive had my samsung spinpoint for 3-4 years and its still running as good as it did back in the day. i have also a 6months ago brought another 500gb samsung spinpoint still running great. my mates also use then with no problems.

dont get 1TB ive herd of alot of problems with them.

4. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I've had an 40gig Western Digital since 2001, and it still works great on my old computer.

5. Lee79

Member Lee79 Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict

United Kingdom
    I have used Western Digital drives for the past 2 years and had none fail yet . Do not get a Maxtor i have had 2 fail on me and my friend had one fail on him as well after about 6 months of use.

6. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Samsung SpinPoint = good. And yeah, 1TB drives probably aren't a very good choice at the moment, get two/three 500GB drives and put them in RAID 0/1/5 (if I remember the numbers correctly)

7. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    I have a Western Digital "MyBook" World Edition (external network harddrive + enclosure). 500GB

I've had it for a lil over a year now, and it's been filled. I mean filled to the point of only having 42MB free.

It's only been turned off 7 times in the last year, total time being off around 2 days. So in the 360ish day's its been on, I'm still using it. Knock on wood!!!!

8. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    I have western digital external drives and Maxtor internal ones. The 40GB internal maxtor has lasted 10 years and is still going. I don't thing any of your drives have lasted that long.

9. dilav
    OP

United States
    Well, there are way too many opinions on hard drive brands i dont really care anymore. I had bad expierences with wd passport 120 gb, 160gb and the 230 something ones n they start to click and die, but thats just my expierence. Maxtors had been really good for me. But i heard 1tb drives die, and i guess it is true. Ill wait a while. As with enclosures i pay attention to that, found alot that support 1tb. If 1tb are good i would of prob got 2 1tb. with a enclousure that suport 2 hdd. Guess ill get 500 or 750 anyone heard anything bout 750?

10. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    always use RAID (along with regular backups of important data). disk drives fail, it's a fact of life.

I usually do something like:
    10% in raid-1 across 3 disks - put OS & critical data here.
    30-40% in raid-5 - put important data here (source code, digital photos, etc)
    the rest no raid - not so important stuff here. downloaded movies, iso's, etc. stuff that you'd rather have space than safety for.

so if you bought 3 500GB drives, that works out to like:
    50GB OS/critical data (plus 100GB wasted due to raid)
    300-400GB important data (plus 150-200GB wasted due to raid)pl
    750-900GB less important data

Also, an interesting note, temperature is important to drive life, but unlike CPU's, you don't want to get them as cold as possible. optimal running temperature is around 40-60C iirc, if you go outside that, either hotter or colder, drive life drastically shortens (this is based on a study by Google of thousands of disks)

11. dilav
    OP

United States
    I dont think my drives ever went pass that. As with the wd external drives i have no idea how hot/cold they run, they were 5400rpm ans i only had them plug in when i needed to use it. Dont know, but ill keep that in mind.

Thank you.

12. simoonsoon

Newcomer simoonsoon Advanced Member

United States
    uh make sure its got a fan.. dont get those super small things for laptops u kno