Need help buying new handheld console

Dudex199999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
So i've decided to buy myself a little handheld console to pass some time at work.
I've been interested more in Nintendo rather than Sony.
I have a budget of 50$ and am mainly interested in the gameboy advance and sp and aswell maybe the original ds. I had already 4 DS lites (don't ask why or how) and i never really enjoyed playing it but no because of the game but because of the console, i didn't like or enjoy the design and other things.
I've seen lots of used gameboys and DS (original) in eBay but i'm not really sure which console though.
The gameboy advance is the oldest but seems nice, the badside is that it can play only gba games, has no backlight or frontlight and i don't have any flashcard for it (which i do for the ds) so getting games would be a pain but i really liked the design, the gameboy advance sp seems also nice has backlight but the design and game problem and the ds looks nice aswell, liked the design, can play both games, i have flashcard, has backlight but i feel it will be the same gameplay as the DS lite and will be a waste of problem.
Im pretty almost all of you guys didn't really understand this "problem" mainly because it's written horribly (sorry im tired) and the problem is dumb but thanks for any help

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Get a PSP.

Has some very lovely homebrew developed for it
A sweet little emulation device- SNES, Mega Drive, GBA, Neo Geo, CPS1, ScummVM, GBC, GBA, NGPC, turbogrpahix- so no need to purchase gaems or flashcarts
Plays majority of PSX gaems
Has a decent screen, it's no OLED or LED but it does a job especially by 2000s standards

Or just man up and get a Neo Geo Pocket Colour.

Dudex199999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Get a PSP.

Has some very lovely homebrew developed for it
A sweet little emulation device- SNES, Mega Drive, GBA, Neo Geo, CPS1, ScummVM, GBC, GBA, NGPC, turbogrpahix- so no need to purchase gaems or flashcarts
Plays majority of PSX gaems
Has a decent screen, it's no OLED or LED but it does a job especially by 2000s standards

Or just man up and get a Neo Geo Pocket Colour.
My sister had a PSP, never getting close to it.
Thanks anyways

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gameboy advance is the oldest but seems nice, the badside is that it can play only gba games,

The GBA (and GBA SP) can also play original Gameboy and Gameboy Color games, in addition to GBA games. It was the GB Micro that only played GBA games (though many people really love the Micro despite this).

Katana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$50 and no PSP/DS Lite is tough.

I have a budget of 50$ and am mainly interested in the gameboy advance and sp and aswell maybe the original ds.

I guess you can find a pawn shop and search for a cheap DS, and get the GBA with the DS since it plays GBA games anyway. You could also try searching for a cheap Android phone that plays GBA games well via emulation (like the Samsung Galaxy Y) and get a bluetooth Moga controller with a built-in phone holder.

Dudex199999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
$50 and no PSP/DS Lite is tough.

I guess you can find a pawn shop and search for a cheap DS, and get the GBA with the DS since it plays GBA games anyway. You could also try searching for a cheap Android phone that plays GBA games well via emulation (like the Samsung Galaxy Y) and get a bluetooth Moga controller with a built-in phone holder.
Thanks for the answer, i think im going to the the original ds.
Is there such a big difference between the lite and original in gameplay? is playing the gameboy funner if i already played the ds?
Thanks

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
maybe the original ds. I had already 4 DS lites (don't ask why or how) and i never really enjoyed playing it but no because of the game but because of the console, i didn't like or enjoy the design and other things.
I've seen lots of used gameboys and DS (original) in eBay but i'm not really sure which console though.
If you didn't like the feel of the lite, I have a hard time imagining how the phat will give you a better feeling, because the lite is better in almost every way, unless you had issue in how the corners pressured against your palm, or the smaller Dpad.

If I get your post, you like the idea of a handheld but you hate clamshell, you also want a nice backlit lcd and don't want to spend more than 50$, and for that budget you want to be able to load tons of games from the "scene". That's pretty much the definition of a psp.

some other contender could be
GBA micro: good luck finding one in your price range, and flashcart are getting harder to find as days passes by
2DS : out of your price range
android device: you probably already have one
ps vita: pricey and hacking scene in turmoil

If the problem is because you like to cup your hand around the controller or to crimp it:
you can find handle attachment for psp's
I believe I saw a tutorial on how to attach a smart phone on a ds3 controller with a bunch of rubber bands, which could be a cheap solution if you already own both, otherwise dedicated solutions are available on the web.
A backlit moded gba
Nvidia shield (gen 1)
some chinese android tablet with dedicated controls (jxd)

Is there such a big difference between the lite and original in gameplay? is playing the gameboy funner if i already played the ds?
Thanks
games makes the gameplay, not the console, the rest is all in your mind

Though, Ill say that in a lot of ds games, the implementation of the touchscreen is actually distracting from the game itself, and that games that relies mostly on touchscreen interaction felt more casual and less immersive than games i played on earlier Nintendo handheld.
Whether you play them on the phat or on the lite this won't change.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you have $50, don't want a PSP and don't want a DS/Lite/i, your only options are open source handhelds. I would recommend a CAANOO or a Wiz, but those are more expensive, so consider a Dingoo instead.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a DSTwo Supercard? It may not be a new handheld, but it has plenty of homebrew, even GBA and SNES emulation, and can run standard DS homebrew. I'd still recommend a PSP over it for homebrew, but you already dismissed that idea. Outside of using a DS or PSP for a homebrew device, you won't get much that's very effective for $50.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should just save that $50 and not get anything. You already have DS lite and aren't interested in PSP. So what's left? A original DS is pointless cause a DS lite can do everything a DS can except play GBA games. Getting a GBA or older system is pointless cause you can just emulate them near flawlessly. Not only that, you can emulate them on a low-end Android or jailbroken iOS device, so portability is not even an advantage. Save your money. $50 is not going to get you anything nice.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do you have a DSTwo Supercard? It may not be a new handheld, but it has plenty of homebrew, even GBA and SNES emulation, and can run standard DS homebrew. I'd still recommend a PSP over it for homebrew, but you already dismissed that idea. Outside of using a DS or PSP for a homebrew device, you won't get much that's very effective for $50.
Emulation on the DS leaves a lot to be desired (partially due to the low specs, partially due to the screen which is simply too small) and he already said that he did not enjoy the form factor of the DS, so yeah.

Dudex199999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
If you didn't like the feel of the lite, I have a hard time imagining how the phat will give you a better feeling, because the lite is better in almost every way, unless you had issue in how the corners pressured against your palm, or the smaller Dpad.

If I get your post, you like the idea of a handheld but you hate clamshell, you also want a nice backlit lcd and don't want to spend more than 50$, and for that budget you want to be able to load tons of games from the "scene". That's pretty much the definition of a psp.

some other contender could be
GBA micro: good luck finding one in your price range, and flashcart are getting harder to find as days passes by
2DS : out of your price range
android device: you probably already have one
ps vita: pricey and hacking scene in turmoil

If the problem is because you like to cup your hand around the controller or to crimp it:
you can find handle attachment for psp's
I believe I saw a tutorial on how to attach a smart phone on a ds3 controller with a bunch of rubber bands, which could be a cheap solution if you already own both, otherwise dedicated solutions are available on the web.
A backlit moded gba
Nvidia shield (gen 1)
some chinese android tablet with dedicated controls (jxd)

games makes the gameplay, not the console, the rest is all in your mind

Though, Ill say that in a lot of ds games, the implementation of the touchscreen is actually distracting from the game itself, and that games that relies mostly on touchscreen interaction felt more casual and less immersive than games i played on earlier Nintendo handheld.
Whether you play them on the phat or on the lite this won't change.
Emulation on the DS leaves a lot to be desired (partially due to the low specs, partially due to the screen which is simply too small) and he already said that he did not enjoy the form factor of the DS, so yeah.
You should just save that $50 and not get anything. You already have DS lite and aren't interested in PSP. So what's left? A original DS is pointless cause a DS lite can do everything a DS can except play GBA games. Getting a GBA or older system is pointless cause you can just emulate them near flawlessly. Not only that, you can emulate them on a low-end Android or jailbroken iOS device, so portability is not even an advantage. Save your money. $50 is not going to get you anything nice.

Thanks for everyones help!
So from what i understood now, most recommend getting a psp, im not much a fan of the psp and my sister has one she barely uses so there's no point in getting another one or maybe no console at all. To say the truth i personally believe ill enjoy more of a GBA SP or gameboy advance even if there is no point in getting them when i can play with my sisters psp or get a ds which can play both ds and gba games. i will never play gba games with a ds. i don't want another ds lite after having so many, even though i really enjoyed downloading any game i wanted to my flashcard... maybe i should get a DS? im confused again...
Well thanks anyways!

eggmanfat120

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So i've decided to buy myself a little handheld console to pass some time at work.
I've been interested more in Nintendo rather than Sony.
I have a budget of 50$ and am mainly interested in the gameboy advance and sp and aswell maybe the original ds. I had already 4 DS lites (don't ask why or how) and i never really enjoyed playing it but no because of the game but because of the console, i didn't like or enjoy the design and other things.
The gameboy advance is the oldest but seems nice, the badside is that it can play only gba games, has no backlight or frontlight and i don't have any flashcard for it (which i do for the ds) so getting games would be a pain but i really liked the design, the gameboy advance sp seems also nice has backlight but the design and game problem and the ds looks nice aswell, liked the design, can play both games, i have flashcard, has backlight but i feel it will be the same gameplay as the DS lite and will be a waste of problem.
Im pretty almost all of you guys didn't really understand this "problem" mainly because it's written horribly (sorry im tired) and the problem is dumb but thanks for any help
Have you heard of a sega game gear? easy 25 buck handheld there. The only thing is to make sure the screen or sound isn't broken if you ever buy one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.