Gaming Need For Speed - Pro Street

1ns4nity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else had a look at the videos on IGN Yet? THe Wii version could possibly be decent looking! heh.

The video is a off-screen cam shot though....

I hope they dont only have wiimote controls for the steering as it looks like it still really sucks..... anyone thinks they will actually produce a REAL steering wheel for the Wii?

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
a real steering wheel? :wtf:

Other than a plastic covering, I doubt they would do anything while they allready have sensors in the remote.

Sucks too.. excite truck was a good change, but if they choose to do that steering type to MKwii, im going to be pissed >:(

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Huh? No positive reactions here on the Wiimote controls for racing games...

I have to admit that I haven't played ExciteTruck (or any other racing game on the Wii for that matter) but I was planning to buy this because of the Wiimote controls... Just why are they so bad?

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I loved the controls for Excite Truck, thought they where great!

As for Mario Kart Wii, I hope they use motion control. It works so great, why not use it?
smile.gif

1ns4nity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They work great? Are you sure?

The turning radius is only ~ 90degrees each way and there is lag between your movement and the cars reaction.

If you tried NFS:Carbon, the normal analog control is SO MUCH better and all the reviewers agreed about it.

The motion sensors are very poor estimates of a real steering wheel....would only be good in silly kiddy driving games IMHO.

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a real steering wheel? :wtf:

Other than a plastic covering, I doubt they would do anything while they allready have sensors in the remote.

Sucks too.. excite truck was a good change, but if they choose to do that steering type to MKwii, im going to be pissed >:(

Can't agree, I found ET's controls to be very tight and responsive for what it was. Sure it would be nice if they included analog support in the new NFS and Mario kart... but I was happy with the motion controls. Outside of wii sports its the only time I felt motion controls were warranted.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the NFS series went downhill when EA went downhill. I remember when EA were well respected and took time with their games, use to always look forward to play their games in the 16-bit days.

The next great Wii racer should be NitroBike which is by the makers of ExciteBike 64, looks pretty damn good too.

xbandaidx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok now if any of you have played any racing games such as Excite truck (not sure about NFS carbon) but the controls is done where you hold the wii remote and have the face of it faced towards you.

now in the video of Prostreet you can see the player isn't holding it like all the racing games before it, he's holding it like you would hold the controller if you were playing Super Paper Mario. So my first guess is that this "KID" is not holding it right (technically its the same, but the wii remote can sense how its being held anyways), and I say kid because if you look at the players hands, it looks like a 11 year old playing this. Plus he appears to be playing the wii like every other newb to the Wii, ridiculous movement that's not needed.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think the NFS series went downhill when EA went downhill. I remember when EA were well respected and took time with their games, use to always look forward to play their games in the 16-bit days.

The next great Wii racer should be NitroBike which is by the makers of ExciteBike 64, looks pretty damn good too.
EA pretty much only released NFL and NBA games for the 16-bit consoles. And they released one every year. I don't think they've taken their time on anything, ever.

Barta

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can't agree, I found ET's controls to be very tight and responsive for what it was. Sure it would be nice if they included analog support in the new NFS and Mario kart... but I was happy with the motion controls. Outside of wii sports its the only time I felt motion controls were warranted.

What about kororinpa? That game is screaming for motion controls
biggrin.gif

I sure hope that game developers make the controls configurable and don't force us to play with controls
which don't feel right.

xbandaidx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are three different levels of controls in this game, each using a certain amount of physics. There is Family style which does pretty much all the braking for you, a moderate control which lets you do some of the breaking, and allows for some physics to be taken into account, and the expert which has full physics being taken into account and you must do all the braking. Now I dont know if controls are configurable in the sense of what button does what so far. But this is what I've read.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok now if any of you have played any racing games such as Excite truck (not sure about NFS carbon) but the controls is done where you hold the wii remote and have the face of it faced towards you.

now in the video of Prostreet you can see the player isn't holding it like all the racing games before it, he's holding it like you would hold the controller if you were playing Super Paper Mario. So my first guess is that this "KID" is not holding it right (technically its the same, but the wii remote can sense how its being held anyways), and I say kid because if you look at the players hands, it looks like a 11 year old playing this. Plus he appears to be playing the wii like every other newb to the Wii, ridiculous movement that's not needed.

I believe that you are wrong about how to hold the remote for Excite Truck. I found the controls were more responsive when the buttons were facing the ceiling. This was confirmed for me when doing jumps and tilting the controller. When it was totally level the truck was slightly pointed down, so maybe there's a slight angle compensation based on how a normal person would typically hold a controller (at a slight angle). I do not think at all that the button side of the controller should be perpendicular to the floor, which sounds like what you're suggesting.

I personally thought the controls were really great for ET once I got used to the small turning radius, which didn't take all that long really considering it was the first game I played on the Wii.

xbandaidx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

now in the video of Prostreet you can see the player isn't holding it like all the racing games before it, he's holding it like you would hold the controller if you were playing Super Paper Mario.  So my first guess is that this "KID" is not holding it right (technically its the same, but the wii remote can sense how its being held anyways), and I say kid because if you look at the players hands, it looks like a 11 year old playing this.  Plus he appears to be playing the wii like every other newb to the Wii, ridiculous movement that's not needed.

I believe that you are wrong about how to hold the remote for Excite Truck. I found the controls were more responsive when the buttons were facing the ceiling. This was confirmed for me when doing jumps and tilting the controller. When it was totally level the truck was slightly pointed down, so maybe there's a slight angle compensation based on how a normal person would typically hold a controller (at a slight angle). I do not think at all that the button side of the controller should be perpendicular to the floor, which sounds like what you're suggesting.

I personally thought the controls were really great for ET once I got used to the small turning radius, which didn't take all that long really considering it was the first game I played on the Wii.

Really? I might be wrong, but I always thought it was played with the face towards you, because all the steering wheels will have it faced towards you when you use those?

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

now in the video of Prostreet you can see the player isn't holding it like all the racing games before it, he's holding it like you would hold the controller if you were playing Super Paper Mario. So my first guess is that this "KID" is not holding it right (technically its the same, but the wii remote can sense how its being held anyways), and I say kid because if you look at the players hands, it looks like a 11 year old playing this. Plus he appears to be playing the wii like every other newb to the Wii, ridiculous movement that's not needed.

Really? I might be wrong, but I always thought it was played with the face towards you, because all the steering wheels will have it faced towards you when you use those?

That would mean something if they were first party attachments, but they're not. So they probably went with the only way to set up the wheels so that you could still push the buttons while it was in the wheel shell. See what I mean?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr