OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE ! (10/28/2015)

yellows8 would like to have an icon and a splashscreen for themehax. you can find the details at the following link or below : https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax/issues/26

yellows8 said:
It would be nice to have the following gfx. Note that if the gfx would include "themehax" at all(text or visual), "menuhax" should be used instead.

Submissions should be in PNG format. One way to send submissions is by leaving comments on this issue. Deadline is around when the next release is finished, hopefully.

• A dedicated 48x48 icon for the application included with this repo. Note that a mere {HOME + wrench} icon isn't good enough, since by the icon alone that would imply "Home Menu Settings".
  • An image that will be displayed on the main-screen instead of the junk, during boot when hax is triggered. This will be the default image which can be setup by the app if the user uses the option for it. The PNG dimensions must be either 800x240 or 240x800(the latter is the framebuffer-form)."The first half of the image(in terms of pixels) is for 3D-left, the rest is for the 3D-right. The 3D-right should be same as 3D-left if no stereoscopy is used by the image."

UPDATE ! (10/24/2015)

48x48 icons :

- i need one for an eshop-like app that can't be the official one but can totally look like it. i don't think i need to guide you too much over what it should look like, shopping isn't a super abstract concept. ideally should fit in with the rest of the homebrew launcher but if it looks nice and stands out that can be good too.
- same thing as above but for a screenshot tool ! same "restrictions" apply.

UPDATE !

so ninjhax 2.0 should be out soon and i'd like the homebrew launcher to have a "run region free" entry in the app list or something. for that to happen i'd ideally need a nice 48x48px icon that i could put there. obviously the icon should evoke region free somehow, but keep in mind that there will be a text description next to it so people shouldnt be too confused anyway. deadline for this is at some point next week as i plan on releasing ninjhax 2.0 around then if all goes well. (full disclosure there are still a few weird bugs that need fixing so i can't 100% guarantee a release date right now, but i do think i have things mostly under control)

obviously it should fit in with the homebrew launcher aesthetic that @Arkhandar and @Fluto came up with :

hbl_bucket_by_arkhandar-d7vqo0j.png

the way i see it we'd replace one of those entries with a "region free boot" kind of thing and be done with it.

as with last time i can't really give any rewards other than credit in he readme an such.

thanks !

------------------------ original post ------------------------

hey everyone

a bunch of people and i have been working on bringing a 3DS homebrew solution to the masses for a while now and we're almost done (probably). we're building a simple homebrew menu to accompany the launch (in the same vein as the original wii homebrew channel) and since we're not artists we're looking for someone who could make us a nice original logo or something.
the initial menu will be fairly simple (don't want to waste too much time working on it for now), but it will be made opensource upon release so that people can contribute to improving it. with that in mind, I think it'd most likely going to be like what you find on your average R4 on the bottom screen, ie a list of homebrew apps with a name/description and its icon to the left.
that would leave the top screen open to a big ass logo, which could potentially be animated (given that the animation isn't anything too crazy; think the bubble in the wii homebrew channel for instance). we'd like someone to come up with that logo and if that works out then they could also help make the bottom screen a bit nicer too.

rules are as follow :
1. no copyrighted material may be used
2. fyi top screen resolution is 400x240
3. we haven't come up with a final name for the menu yet, so feel free to be creative. "3DS homebrew menu"/"3DS homebrew channel" is probably what we'll end up going with unless we get better suggestions
4. you have about a week to come up with something
5. you're doing this work for free and are releasing your work to the public. you'll be properly credited and all but that's pretty much as good as it'll get in terms of "remuneration"
6. i'd rather everyone post their work here, but if you want to keep it secret for the time being feel free to instead send it to this email address : [email protected] (or via PM)
7. noone's name/nick/whatever should be part of the logo screen. that includes my own name, your name or anyone else's. again you'll be properly credited (as will anyone who's contributed to the effort); just not on the logo screen.

not going to lie, i have pretty high hopes for this, so please help us if you can !
thanks

Last edited by smealum,

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can we start a poll with suggestions about the app name? for me 3DS Homebrew Channel sounds pretty good. And before leaving, as always, I thank you again for your work smealum, 3 year have passed to see some homebrew light on the 3DS and now is a reality thanks to you :D.

Reactions: randomdev

outlaw1994

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
so if im not mistaking you want a logo for the top screen how detailed and advanced do you want it as i could prob do up a nice one for you
Edit oh yeah also can i make it animated in a gif i can send each frame of the gif if you need it as i dk how animation works on 3ds

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey Smealum,

I think we all have pretty high hopes for this!

For a logo on the top screen, should that come in a 3D (for 3DS) and 2D (for 2DS) version? It would also be a lot better if you and your team can come up with a catchy, short name that doesn't look or sound like a trademarked name -- "The 3DS Homebrew Channel" would then be immediately under that (if it detects its running on a 2DS, replace with 2DS?).

One suggestion would be "Prometheus" after the Titan who stole Fire from the Gods (Ninty+Licensees) and gave it to the people. You can then stylize the logo as a two hands held up with the offering of fire; taking a little liberty you can make it a key that is on fire. The key unlocking the 3DS, of course.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey Smealum,

I think we all have pretty high hopes for this!

For a logo on the top screen, should that come in a 3D (for 3DS) and 2D (for 2DS) version? It would also be a lot better if you and your team can come up with a catchy, short name that doesn't look or sound like a trademarked name -- "The 3DS Homebrew Channel" would then be immediately under that (if it detects its running on a 2DS, replace with 2DS?).

One suggestion would be "Prometheus" after the Titan who stole Fire from the Gods (Ninty+Licensees) and gave it to the people. You can then stylize the logo as a two hands held up with the offering of fire; taking a little liberty you can make it a key that is on fire. The key unlocking the 3DS, of course.

Good backstory for the name, sounds badass, "Prometheus by Smealum"

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey smea, do you know the icon size? I'm willing to bet the house pouring brew would make a nice matching one! Also a good sound would be a quick intro tune followed the "glug, glug, glug" of a beer pouring.

BejittoSSJ5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question, smea. Have you (or anyone else) decrypted 7.x firmware yet? And if so, would you be able to install this HBC on a 7.x 3DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating