Need artist(s) for 3DS homebrew menu region free logo

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by smealum, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smealum
    OP

smealum growing up sucks.

May 1, 2006
    United States
    SF
    UPDATE ! (10/28/2015)

yellows8 would like to have an icon and a splashscreen for themehax. you can find the details at the following link or below : https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax/issues/26

UPDATE ! (10/24/2015)

48x48 icons :

- i need one for an eshop-like app that can't be the official one but can totally look like it. i don't think i need to guide you too much over what it should look like, shopping isn't a super abstract concept. ideally should fit in with the rest of the homebrew launcher but if it looks nice and stands out that can be good too.
    - same thing as above but for a screenshot tool ! same "restrictions" apply.

UPDATE !

so ninjhax 2.0 should be out soon and i'd like the homebrew launcher to have a "run region free" entry in the app list or something. for that to happen i'd ideally need a nice 48x48px icon that i could put there. obviously the icon should evoke region free somehow, but keep in mind that there will be a text description next to it so people shouldnt be too confused anyway. deadline for this is at some point next week as i plan on releasing ninjhax 2.0 around then if all goes well. (full disclosure there are still a few weird bugs that need fixing so i can't 100% guarantee a release date right now, but i do think i have things mostly under control)

obviously it should fit in with the homebrew launcher aesthetic that @Arkhandar and @Fluto came up with :

[​IMG]

the way i see it we'd replace one of those entries with a "region free boot" kind of thing and be done with it.

as with last time i can't really give any rewards other than credit in he readme an such.

thanks !

------------------------ original post ------------------------

hey everyone

a bunch of people and i have been working on bringing a 3DS homebrew solution to the masses for a while now and we're almost done (probably). we're building a simple homebrew menu to accompany the launch (in the same vein as the original wii homebrew channel) and since we're not artists we're looking for someone who could make us a nice original logo or something.
    the initial menu will be fairly simple (don't want to waste too much time working on it for now), but it will be made opensource upon release so that people can contribute to improving it. with that in mind, I think it'd most likely going to be like what you find on your average R4 on the bottom screen, ie a list of homebrew apps with a name/description and its icon to the left.
    that would leave the top screen open to a big ass logo, which could potentially be animated (given that the animation isn't anything too crazy; think the bubble in the wii homebrew channel for instance). we'd like someone to come up with that logo and if that works out then they could also help make the bottom screen a bit nicer too.

rules are as follow :
    1. no copyrighted material may be used
    2. fyi top screen resolution is 400x240
    3. we haven't come up with a final name for the menu yet, so feel free to be creative. "3DS homebrew menu"/"3DS homebrew channel" is probably what we'll end up going with unless we get better suggestions
    4. you have about a week to come up with something
    5. you're doing this work for free and are releasing your work to the public. you'll be properly credited and all but that's pretty much as good as it'll get in terms of "remuneration"
    6. i'd rather everyone post their work here, but if you want to keep it secret for the time being feel free to instead send it to this email address : sme@lum.sexy (or via PM)
    7. noone's name/nick/whatever should be part of the logo screen. that includes my own name, your name or anyone else's. again you'll be properly credited (as will anyone who's contributed to the effort); just not on the logo screen.

not going to lie, i have pretty high hopes for this, so please help us if you can !
    thanks

Last edited by smealum, Oct 28, 2015
    I pwned U!, nxwing, ferofax and 34 others like this.

2. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Off topic: This thread should be on front page news to let everyone see.
    keep up the Great work Smealum

Ryanrocks462 likes this.
  3. mrfires

mrfires Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2014
    United States
    [​IMG]I think I outdid myself this time.

Miggg, XeR ッ, Games&Stuff and 67 others like this.
  4. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Can we start a poll with suggestions about the app name? for me 3DS Homebrew Channel sounds pretty good. And before leaving, as always, I thank you again for your work smealum, 3 year have passed to see some homebrew light on the 3DS and now is a reality thanks to you :D.

cynosura likes this.
  5. Kaphotics

Kaphotics badc0ded

Sep 10, 2010
    United States
    let's improve it a bit...

[​IMG]

Pingu, myforce2001, Amadren and 15 others like this.
  6. outlaw1994

outlaw1994 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 10, 2011
    so if im not mistaking you want a logo for the top screen how detailed and advanced do you want it as i could prob do up a nice one for you
    Edit oh yeah also can i make it animated in a gif i can send each frame of the gif if you need it as i dk how animation works on 3ds

7. purechaos996

purechaos996 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 5, 2008
    United States
    Connecticut
    I quickly made this, tried to base it off of the 3DS Software boot screen. I wasn't sure of the best way to show off the animation so I just made it into a .gif.
    [​IMG]

It's simple since I'm not exactly sure how much detail I could put into it given the 3DS limitations.

8. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    How about a tune for the intro? Is it needed?

9. fodder

fodder STARMAN

Aug 3, 2014
    United States
    Mine is very similar to the Wii Homebrew startup screen since I'm unoriginal, but this is a quick pic I made, probably going to make a few others.
    TheHomebrewChannel3DS.png
    If this was a gif or an animation the waves on top would move around and thee bubbles would float to the top

10. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    Hey Smealum,

I think we all have pretty high hopes for this!

For a logo on the top screen, should that come in a 3D (for 3DS) and 2D (for 2DS) version? It would also be a lot better if you and your team can come up with a catchy, short name that doesn't look or sound like a trademarked name -- "The 3DS Homebrew Channel" would then be immediately under that (if it detects its running on a 2DS, replace with 2DS?).

One suggestion would be "Prometheus" after the Titan who stole Fire from the Gods (Ninty+Licensees) and gave it to the people. You can then stylize the logo as a two hands held up with the offering of fire; taking a little liberty you can make it a key that is on fire. The key unlocking the 3DS, of course.

11. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Good backstory for the name, sounds badass, "Prometheus by Smealum"

12. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2014
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Here's my incredibly crappy logo! I made it in MS paint (I don't have any image tools) and while it's not too complex, I think it does it's job. :)

13. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    [​IMG]

I don't actually know what I'm doing, but I think this is okay. Feel free to one-up me, I know you will. :P

Like for clever slogan????

Edited out smea's name, per request

Games&Stuff, Ryanrocks462 and smealum like this.
  14. smealum
    OP

smealum growing up sucks.

May 1, 2006
    United States
    SF
    oh i forgot one thing : i don't want anyone's name on the menu. not mine, not the artist's, noone's.

BejittoSSJ5 and fodder like this.
  15. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
  16. DestinyFeather

DestinyFeather GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    This is just getting better and better

endoverend likes this.
  17. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    Hey smea, do you know the icon size? I'm willing to bet the house pouring brew would make a nice matching one! Also a good sound would be a quick intro tune followed the "glug, glug, glug" of a beer pouring.

18. Katana

Katana Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2014
    United States
  19. PixelPerfectPlays

PixelPerfectPlays Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2014
    United States
    Hey smea, its me from twitter @TheMainVoid, thought I'd make an account so I could post this
    menu.png

20. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2014
    United States
    Quick question, smea. Have you (or anyone else) decrypted 7.x firmware yet? And if so, would you be able to install this HBC on a 7.x 3DS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.