Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bah..my Norton Antivirus subscription ran out...I'm planning on going to Best Buy and picking up a real copy for like $40, but I'm not doing that until a couple weeks.

Until then, I need a good antivirus that's free, and can protect me well. Just to keep me safe until I buy Norton 2008 :|
Any suggestions?

EDIT: Actually, when going to Best Buy maybe I'll buy McAfee instead. I have no idea which one is better, so I think I'll do some research :\

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Avast! is definitely my favorite anti-virus. Its free, uses low resources, has active scanners, and doesn't bother you during games.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NOD32 free trial.

then perhaps you an acquire the full version for free X_X

What's NOD32? And why did someone post that it's "somewhat free"?
Is it better than Norton though?

And I didn't get the full version of Norton before because I had a free trial....
.........and I didn't feel like buying it xD

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NOD32 is an antivirus program that uses a very low amount of resources. It's also cheap if you want to pay for it.

NOD32, AVG, and Avast! are the best 3 antivirus programs.
Zone Alarm, Comodo, and Kerio are the best 3 firewalls.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NOD32 is an antivirus program that uses a very low amount of resources. It's also cheap if you want to pay for it.

NOD32, AVG, and Avast! are the best 3 antivirus programs.
Zone Alarm, Comodo, and Kerio are the best 3 firewalls.

Oh, ok. NOD32 has a 30day trial..I guess that's good. How would you rank AVG vs. Avast! though?
And my Norton firewall still works, so I'm good on that side.

I have found that Kaspersky has given faster scans than any of the other ones i've tried, including the free ones.

Is Kaspersky free?

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No kaspersky isn't free, but if you are looking to buy anti-virus software, i'd go with kaspersky.

Yea, it even has a higher rating than Norotn + McAfee on CNET. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Norton is horrid. It has one of the lowest detection rates of all the major AV software, major memory hogging issues; its like an octopus that you pay to wash your windows, but it doesn't do a very good job and when you tell it to go away its firmly wrapped around your chimney.

NOD32 (or ESET Smart Security if you want the firewall + antispyware also), is by far the superior choice.

Also, don't ever look to CNET for software reviews. They factor in bullshit like how easy it would be for your grandmother to use it.

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Norton is horrid. It has one of the lowest detection rates of all the major AV software, major memory hogging issues; its like an octopus that you pay to wash your windows, but it doesn't do a very good job and when you tell it to go away its firmly wrapped around your chimney.

NOD32 (or ESET Smart Security if you want the firewall + antispyware also), is by far the superior choice.

Also, don't ever look to CNET for software reviews. They factor in bullshit like how easy it would be for your grandmother to use it.

I see, thank you also. Most people do say Norton sucks...didn't know that for real.
How come NOD32 only lets you own it for 1 year though if you pay $40?

And CNET sucks too? Oh my gosh..the bad news just keeps on coming :'[
Thanks for guiding me, Urza.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, thank you also. Most people do say Norton sucks...didn't know that for real.
How come NOD32 only lets you own it for 1 year though if you pay $40?
Most AV software providers charge for yearly updates. After the first year, renewals are 28USD I believe.

QUOTE said:
And CNET sucks too? Oh my gosh..the bad news just keeps on coming :'[
I wouldn't say that CNET "sucks", but when it comes to software they don't give very useful scores, and for most other products you can find better reviews at sites that specialize in reviewing what you're looking for (for instance, going to phonescoop if you're looking for a new cell phone).

Sailor

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Most AV software providers charge for yearly updates. After the first year, renewals are 28USD I believe.

Ah, ok..thanks. Didn'tknow it was pretty common @_@

Urza said:
I wouldn't say that CNET "sucks", but when it comes to software they don't give very useful scores, and for most other products you can find better reviews at sites that specialize in reviewing what you're looking for.

Ah, alrighty then. I looked at their reviews for Mp3 players, and they scored one well so I'm gonna order it next week. *phew*

Hmm..so I downloaded the NOD32 30 day trial, and we'll see how that goes. By then if I haven't convinced my dad to buy it, I'll use Avast! until that happens. Thanks everyone for all help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr