One Stop Nintendo Shop on Mixer!
OP
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
So I'm currently running a 6790. I'm wanting to upgrade. What's the best 7000 series that isn't 600 dollars? I can give out approximately 400. Please don't go off on how Intel is better.

Thanks to anyone who helps.

Z

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
So I'm currently running a 6790. I'm wanting to upgrade. What's the best 7000 series that isn't 600 dollars? I can give out approximately 400. Please don't go off on how Intel is better.

Z
Intel isn't better with their onboard chips...
Nvidia is :creep:

more seriously, I can't help with that, but I'm curious as to why you won't go for an Nvidia card.

Reactions: 1 person

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine

Z
Intel isn't better with their onboard chips...
Nvidia is :creep:

more seriously, I can't help with that, but I'm curious as to why you won't go for an Nvidia card.
Nvidia are well-known as overpriced cards that love to burn down your house.
At least that's what the internet says...

OP, why do you want to upgrade anyway? I'd recommend you to save up some more money and get an even more powerful rig.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
You're thinking of the GTX 480 before vapor cooling got developed for it. The GTX 5 series had a die shrink and all used better cooling. The GTX 6 series is much the same with new technologies included.

There is no cooling issue with the GTX 660 or 670. I won't check the 680 since it's over your budget.

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
I use a GTX 560 Ti and honestly, it doesn't get very hot in terms of GPUs. I think the 5** line are a good investment, and as Originality (The Amazing COmputer Guy Who Helped Me With My Build) said, the GTX 5** improved heat problems dramatically.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You're thinking of the GTX 480 before vapor cooling got developed for it. The GTX 5 series had a die shrink and all used better cooling. The GTX 6 series is much the same with new technologies included.

There is no cooling issue with the GTX 660 or 670. I won't check the 680 since it's over your budget.
The issue in question affected the Nvidia Fermi GPUs that used the GF100 chipset. These CPUs would be the GTX 465, 470 & 480. The GF104 chipset was created to remedy the heat issues and came to in the form of the GTX 460 GPU. GF104 and all the later chipsets are perfectly fine in terms of power usage as well as heat is considered. As long as one avoids the GF100 chipsets one should not encounter many issues at all.

There's also the Nvidia Kepler GPUs (top end of 6xx series) that has come out recently and while I have not exactly researched the GPUs in question I also have not heard of any really big issues with this new lineup of GPUs unlike a certain early Fermi lineup.

Zaertix

OP
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
Well damn guys.

As I'm on mobile....

To whomever said upgrade my rig.... My rig is a powerhouse as it is. The only detriment is my graphics card hence the need to upgrade.

And yes Costello.... I meant Nvidia. I haven't slept much and I went retarded...

To everyone else, thanks for the laughs but can we get back on topic. Let me find the card I'm looking to buy and I want thoughts.

Also I'm sure it should already be known. I don't want Nvidia as Costello pointed out my mistake so we can stop with that train of thought.

Here's the card I'm thinking of upgrading to:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150601

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
So the HD 7870 I mentioned in the second post is not good enough for you?

Here's a link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127662

EDIT: or would you prefer a HD 7950? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your motherboard and power supply can handle it, you might think about picking up a second 6790 would be about the same performance as a new card and maybe save a few bucks?

Just a random thought.

D

Deleted_171835

hm, you want a powerful card, eh.

get three gtx 680's in three-way sli. or four 7970 cards in four-way CrossFire. :creep:

but seriously, the 7970 is a good choice and its around $400 now. might be a bit overkill, though. 7870 isn't a bad alternative.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I just checked (hence the newegg links). HD 7970 is roughly $450, which is over the stated budget.

EDIT: to answer the ninja post, 7970 work better than 7870 because no games need that much power. Yet. Ask again in a couple years time.

D

Deleted_171835

So why wouldn't a 7970 work better than a 7870?
I never said it wouldn't. It's certainly more powerful.

I'm just saying that it's more expensive and that a 7870 would likely be a better purchase as you still would be able to max out most current-gen games.

Zaertix

OP
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. A 7870 looks to be a good card. I'm on mobile so it's taking me a bit to read each card.

What's a good manufacturer? I've heard BFG and XFX are good

Zaertix

OP
Trophies
Website
mixer.com
XP
Country
United States

Alright I know I'm double posting but that's so these people can see my apology./

To anyone that felt I was curt or rude, I'm sorry. I was on mobile and little battery, so I wanted to get things out quick. Sorry if I came out as rude.

Any ways I like the 7950 but is it worth it as MSI?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
MSI use good components and their Twin Frozr coolers are very good at cooling. I've got a MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II/OC.
eDIT: don't worry about the brands in graphics cards. All it is, is different tweaks to the stock design by adding more memory, pushing the clock higher, and using their own power phasing technologies. And using better coolers of course.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: