Hacking Need advise for bricked wii

Zense

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Last weekend I bought a second hand wii for a cheap price since it was supposedly broken and I figured I would take a look at it.

So far I've found out that it (strangely considering where I bought it) is an ntsc 3.0 rvl001 wii. This is the info I have so far:

It boots to a black screen
Priiloader is not installed
Recovery menu works and shows 3.0u
When trying to sync a wiimote its leds will only blink blue until it turns off.

I tried to open it up but it seems my trusty triwing screwdrivers have reached their eol so I have to pick up some new ones before I ruin any screws and end up in a miserable state.

What I figure so far is that it's either the bluetooth module (which I will test since I have 2 other "functioning" wiis I can borrow from), or some sort of softbrick, which I could try to fix by inserting a retail disc with an update during recovery mode (?) and hopefully fix.

The seller told me the wii might have been modded so it'll be interesting to see what I can find, since that could make fixing it easier.

Anyways, I was hoping someone more knowledgable could give me any advice or correct me on any assumptions I might've made.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd check the BT module first since that's a likely cause and does match the symptoms.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Brick#Full_Brick_.28System_Menu.29

Don't retail updates require you to select yes/ok though? If you have a spare compatible drive/modchip lying around you could possible create an autoboot disc.

Also, if it's been modded, have you tried to insert an SD card with bootmii installed on it?

Reactions: Zense

Zense

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'd check the BT module first since that's a likely cause and does match the symptoms.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Brick#Full_Brick_.28System_Menu.29

Don't retail updates require you to select yes/ok though? If you have a spare compatible drive/modchip lying around you could possible create an autoboot disc.

Also, if it's been modded, have you tried to insert an SD card with bootmii installed on it?
No I havent tried that I think.. Maybe actually I did. I'll give it another try. Are there files specifc for ntsc for bootmii? I figured when the seller said modded he referred to having a modchip. I

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
No I havent tried that I think.. Maybe actually I did. I'll give it another try. Are there files specifc for ntsc for bootmii? I figured when the seller said modded he referred to having a modchip. I

AFAIK it's just a line in the config file for video output.

Since you're going to open it anyway, you might as well look at the drive.

If you're lucky, it is just a drive mod as that will reduce the potential points of failure.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could be a banner brick. You can fix that with a mod chip and a self booting disc that has tools on it like anytitle deleter.

Zense

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'll post my findings on monday when I'm back from a wedding and have access to the wii and new triwings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y