Need advise for bricked wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Zense, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Zense
    OP

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    Last weekend I bought a second hand wii for a cheap price since it was supposedly broken and I figured I would take a look at it.

So far I've found out that it (strangely considering where I bought it) is an ntsc 3.0 rvl001 wii. This is the info I have so far:

It boots to a black screen
    Priiloader is not installed
    Recovery menu works and shows 3.0u
    When trying to sync a wiimote its leds will only blink blue until it turns off.

I tried to open it up but it seems my trusty triwing screwdrivers have reached their eol so I have to pick up some new ones before I ruin any screws and end up in a miserable state.

What I figure so far is that it's either the bluetooth module (which I will test since I have 2 other "functioning" wiis I can borrow from), or some sort of softbrick, which I could try to fix by inserting a retail disc with an update during recovery mode (?) and hopefully fix.

The seller told me the wii might have been modded so it'll be interesting to see what I can find, since that could make fixing it easier.

Anyways, I was hoping someone more knowledgable could give me any advice or correct me on any assumptions I might've made.

2. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    I'd check the BT module first since that's a likely cause and does match the symptoms.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Brick#Full_Brick_.28System_Menu.29

Don't retail updates require you to select yes/ok though? If you have a spare compatible drive/modchip lying around you could possible create an autoboot disc.

Also, if it's been modded, have you tried to insert an SD card with bootmii installed on it?

Zense likes this.
  3. Zense
    OP

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    No I havent tried that I think.. Maybe actually I did. I'll give it another try. Are there files specifc for ntsc for bootmii? I figured when the seller said modded he referred to having a modchip. I

4. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    AFAIK it's just a line in the config file for video output.

Since you're going to open it anyway, you might as well look at the drive.

If you're lucky, it is just a drive mod as that will reduce the potential points of failure.

5. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    More than just a config file, also contains and armboot.bin or something like that. U can download it from one of ModMii classic's download pages, or search for the direct link

6. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    could be a banner brick. You can fix that with a mod chip and a self booting disc that has tools on it like anytitle deleter.

7. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Zense and XFlak like this.
  8. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    Yeah I got a list of URLs too (I just gotta scroll to the right section of Modmii's source code, lol)

9. Zense
    OP

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    I'll post my findings on monday when I'm back from a wedding and have access to the wii and new triwings.