Need Advice - Wii Resort Brickage

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by fearcain, Aug 22, 2009.

Aug 22, 2009
  1. fearcain
    OP

Newcomer fearcain Newbie

United States
    **EDIT**SOLVED

Goals:
    Reactivate a Systemenu after Wii Resort Update.
    Able to use Wii Resort without doing the ISO dump method. Told to use a backup loader or change setting in preloader v0.29 to not use updates.

Background:
    I had a 4.1U System Menu with HBC and Preloader 0.29 installed. NeoGamma R7 was my back up loader of choice and everything worked fine. Wii Resort Update installed. Systemmenu bricked. I think though it is related to having Preloader 0.29 in the ISO60 slot but I am not sure, ISO35 isn't working really either. Doesn't matter.

I basically just reinstalled the mod on the assumption that an update from Nintendo did not damage the System Menu itself, so it theoretically should still be intact. The only thing that could be modified to disrupt operation is anything I installed.

Basically what I did for a system with Preloader and HBC installed that is semi-bricked:

First off, Preloader would freeze a lot so I switched IOS60 to IOS35 and I regained stability.

Using Preloader I booted into Homebrew Channel.
    I ran DowngradeIOS35.
    Installed a patched IOS35 with Wad Manager to IOS35.
    Installed cIOS38rev14 to IOS35.
    Installed IOS60 - Unpatched to IOS249. I obtained IOS60 original from NUS Downloader and installed with Wad Manager 1.5 (1.4 gave error.)
    Installed IOS60 - Patched version over IOS249. Pretty much wanted 249 confirmed to reinstall. WadMan 1.5 again.
    Ran IOSDowngrader and let it finish.

Switched Preloader v0.29 back to IOS60 to IOS35.

I booted up into SystemMenu and voila it works. I do believe something was modified to directly IOS60 or IOS35 in the Wii Resort patch. Also with WIIConnect24, a new patch is available to download (4.1b US), I will just not use it for now till I can confirm it won't brick me.

2. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Why install SystemMenu v289? Just install 4.1 again.

Also, have you tried reinstalling Preloader yet?

3. fearcain
    OP

Newcomer fearcain Newbie

United States
    No I have not, I could try doing it but at the same time I wanted to ask advice first, and I truly appreciate the advice.

To be honest, all forums and information I searched made no reference to re-installing 4.1 That is my goal as you can tell, if you can elaborate as to how to do it, the only thing I can access on my Wii is preloader and its menu as well as HBC, I can not get into Systemmenu whatsoever.

4. Technik

Member Technik GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just use gecko or a disc launcher homebrew and you have launched the game without the update.

5. FenrirWolf

United States
    I suggest you try reinstalling Preloader. What could have happened is that IOS60 got reinstalled during the update, and Preloader will re-patch it upon install.

You really have to watch out for these old guides telling you to install old system menus. I don't know if yours is a boot2v4 Wii, but if it were, installing 3.2 on it would be a one-way ticket to a full brick.

6. fearcain
    OP

Newcomer fearcain Newbie

United States
    I will try Preloader re-install, something similar did happen when I had Preloader installed first then re-installed HBC/NeoGamma/CRev14 before. Reinstalling Preloader did fix a System Files are Corrupted upon bootup.

7. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So you have preloader and able to load HBC?

Use wadmanager to reinstall SystemMenu and required IOS to begin with.

You can use NUSD to download SystemMenu and IOS and pack them as wads. I'd recommend installing 4.1 SystemMenu which requires ios60.

8. fearcain
    OP

Newcomer fearcain Newbie

United States
    Does this function work under NeoGamma R7? If so I will just tell my wife she has to run it that way.

9. fearcain
    OP

Newcomer fearcain Newbie

United States
    Preloader won't reinstall, freezes at the PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY screen everytime.

10. FenrirWolf

United States
    Since you already ran the update, it might not prompt you again from the disc channel. Guess you'll find out after you're unbricked.

Oh, it won't reinstall? Hmm. You could reinstall the System Menu, but you have to be aware that doing so will delete Preloader and if that doesn't fix the problem, you'll be in trouble. v449 is 4.1u

11. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States

Did you press the 1 button?

It will not tell you this on the screen and will just sit there forever until you press the 1 button to begin the install process.

12. Izzy

Member Izzy GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    I've got the same problem, I can wait forever or press 1 whenever I want, nothing happens for me either.

13. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    IOS35 doesn't work? New Wii? If yes, install 3.2 and you are bricked.

Here's what i would do if i were you:
    - Reinstall 4.1
    - Get the trucha bug into IOS36 if it's not already there(TBR, select trucha + idenitfy patch)
    - Reinstall preloader(REQUIRED)
    - Install latest IOS35
    - Enable disc update skip hack in preloader

14. fearcain
    OP

Newcomer fearcain Newbie

United States
    In response about Preloader -> pressing 1 doesn't work, I guess I could of mentioned it, it literally is frozen.

WiiPower thanks for the reply and thank you for all of your support to the modding community with advice and software : )

Going to attempt your steps you provided. First step is finding a working homebrew app that re-installs 4.1.

15. fearcain
    OP

Newcomer fearcain Newbie

United States
    Just a simple question to help me out, if I downloaded the WAD for original 449... which IOS do I install it to or is their an application designed specifically for this? I have Any Region Changer but all it offers is to install v3.2 and I know it will brick my Wii.

16. fearcain
    OP

Newcomer fearcain Newbie

United States
    This seems silly, but I have fixed my issue. Can we get the title changed to "Wii Resort Update Brick Fix for SoftMod".

I changed the first post to include the fix I completed.

17. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Many of the steps you describe show that you do not understand them. And for most people the Wii Resort brick is the 4.0->3.2->3.4 brick, which can't be fixed. Also, your messing with IOS35 and the IOS downgrading later is really dangerous, since it bricks new Wiis.