Need Advice Regarding Burning Backups (Should I get Dvd-Rs?)

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by boraborawayway, Jul 20, 2010.

1. boraborawayway
    OP

Newcomer boraborawayway Newbie

United States
    So I think I've softmodded my Wii to a pretty good point... I can play usb games, run homebrew, and have a custom 4.2U firmware installed, along with cIOS249 rev 17... and am able to update to rev 19 if i need to. The problem is when I try to run backups discs.

I've burned Okami and a Netflix disc, with no success at getting either of them to run. I burned them to Verbatim Dvd+Rs using ImgBurn, and have used the latest neoGamma, backupLauncher, and softchip.

neoGamma gives me the "error 1178, (disc id)"
    backupLauncher gives me "read error 324"
    and softchip gives me lotcl... something to do with... discid

I came to the conclusions that my problem has something to do with setting the booktype of the burner to Dvd-rom, something my burner is incapable of doing, and I know my wii disc drive is not one of the newer ones that can't read backup discs.

Should I take the risk and go ahead and buy some blank Dvd-Rs? Is there anyway to check if I just don't have the proper cIOSes installed? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

2. luminalace

Member luminalace GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    While the Wii can play DVD+R's I have always used DVD-R's, so I think you need to try that!

3. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Allow me to further elaborate on that. While I have never gotten a backup to work right, I have researched them a bit (I USB load now). DVD+R does work, but it needs to be booktyped at burn time to "DVD ROM" I believe. DVD-R's work as they are.

Some people argue to burn at lowest speed, or burn at 2.4x, half of the disks rated speed, or max... I have heard that early backup launching needed lowest speed possible, but with how it has advanced, I have heard max speed is the norm. (And 2.4x is for DVD+R's only).

But I have since moved to USB loading, so have not had a need to figure out why my backups of red steel werent loading.

4. luckwii

Member luckwii GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I prefer ImgBurn. It is free and I have never had a bad burn. I use Phillips 8X DVD-R, same thing they are cheap and always work. I burn at 8X max setting because that is what the DVD is rated for. Then, I always verify the burn at the end. If the burn is bad, it should verify bad. Use a slower speed if you see this happen.

5. boraborawayway
    OP

Newcomer boraborawayway Newbie

United States
    I appreciate the input. I was able to return the Dvd+Rs I bought in exchange for Dvd-Rs, I burned on ImgBurn at 8x and they run perfectly [​IMG]

It's lame how DL disks are all Dvd+R, since i can't burn them, as I wanted to put Brawl and few others on discs... however I did get an 8gb flash drive so that worked instead.

6. bugaveli

Banned bugaveli Banned

United States
    brawl DL works fine on a dvd+r dual layer if you set the booktype to dvd-rom

7. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    I'd recommend DVD-R as they have always worked for me. When I did try using a DVD+R it didn't work, but maybe that's just my Wii. But to be safe, you should get DVD-R