Hacking Need Advice On Downgrading 3DS XL 9.2 To 4.X

TheRomGuru

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I Got Two 3DS XL Consoles I Wanna Downgrade My Black One From 9.2 To 4.X Firmware Using The Gateway Downgrade File Method. My Question Is If I Can Even Do The Downgrade, My 3DS XL Was On Firmware 7.x When I Bought It In 2014 I Believe (Doesnt The 3DS Have To Have Already Been On 4.x At One Time To Be Able To Downgrade To 4.x) Or As Long As Its On Firmware 9.2 Or Lower I Can Downgrade ?

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but... Why would you downgrade? Currently 9.2 is the best firmware out there.

You can install rxTools + Menuhax + Ctrbootmanager and be able to coldboot into CFW.

D

Deleted User

Yes you can downgrade it even if it hasn't been on 4.x before.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How Can I Autoboot With CFW I Always Have To Use The Browser Method To Load Gateway Or rxTools Into EmuNAND ?
You can't autoboot Gateway yet, but you can autoboot rxTools.

TheRomGuru

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Since I Have rxTools On My Other 3DS And I Want To Downgrade To 4.x Mainly Because Of Being Able To Boot Into Gateway Without Need Access To The Internet To Do So Every Time :wacko:

So Besides Backing Up SysNAND Before Downgrading Is There Anything Else Important I Need To Do Like Format SysNAND or EmuNAND ?

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Since I Have rxTools On My Other 3DS And I Want To Downgrade To 4.x Mainly Because Of Being Able To Boot Into Gateway Without Need Access To The Internet To Do So Every Time :wacko:

So Besides Backing Up SysNAND Before Downgrading Is There Anything Else Important I Need To Do Like Format SysNAND or EmuNAND ?
If you insist on downgrading, here is the video tutorial made by a member on here whom I forgot the username (apology to whoever the video maker is)

Note: Download the files from gateway website, not from video description. Files on the video description maybe outdated.

If I am not mistaken, Gateway Menu will make you to back up your NAND before it let you downgrade, so nothing to worry. Just remember don't interrupt and make sure 3DS always have power!

Last edited by tivu100,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet 4.x SysNAND & 9.X EmuNAND :yaysp:

Should I Format The SysNAND To Try An Get Rid Of System Update Notification
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-delete-predownloaded-update-spotpass-nag.381489/

Read to make sure what you can do. Be careful and remember to turn off your wifi! Good luck.

Alternatively, you can format system memory. However, it may delete EMUNAND settings & database too if you were using your NANDs linked. So the following process will ensure your EMUNAND has everything intact, but it will unlink your NANDs -> Press format system memory -> eject your SD -> continue to to format system memory -> when it reboot re-insert your SD.

Last edited by tivu100,

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Even without switching to rxTools, I would just have downgraded MSET on 9.2 instead of downgrading the whole sysNAND...
Now that the sysNAND is on 4.5, GW will use the old encryption for savegames making them incompatible with the previous ones.

Plus, as already mentionned several times, 9.2 supports menuhax for booting other CFW so nothing prevents you from having rxTools on menuhax and Gateway on MSET.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Even without switching to rxTools, I would just have downgraded MSET on 9.2 instead of downgrading the whole sysNAND...
Now that the sysNAND is on 4.5, GW will use the old encryption for savegames making them incompatible with the previous ones.

Plus, as already mentionned several times, 9.2 supports menuhax for booting other CFW so nothing prevents you from having rxTools on menuhax and Gateway on MSET.
Gateway doesn't support downgraded mset on o3DS though.

The encryption thing is only an issue if he plays retail carts on his console.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Ninja'd in both case. :ph34r:

Damn, knew I should have got a bigger sign! :ph34r:

2r6gxsz.jpg

Reactions: tivu100

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The encryption thing is only an issue if he plays retail carts on his console.
True story. I forgot I was the only one to do this on this whole subforum :P (jk)

Gateway doesn't support downgraded mset on o3DS though.
What do you mean exactly ? That we can't downgrade MSET on o3DS ? I did it and run rxTools on it (in case menuhax fails, I still can boot it this way). Or did you mean that once MSET is downgraded we can't put Gateway on it ? I actually never tried but I would be surprised if it didn't work.
edit just tried, my DS linker doesn't want to display its menu :(
So yeah, I'll probably join the "use CFW instead" train.

Last edited by Hayleia,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
True story. I forgot I was the only one to do this on this whole subforum :P (jk)

What do you mean exactly ? That we can't downgrade MSET on o3DS ? I did it and run rxTools on it (in case menuhax fails, I still can boot it this way). Or did you mean that once MSET is downgraded we can't put Gateway on it ? I actually never tried but I would be surprised if it didn't work.
edit just tried, my DS linker doesn't want to display its menu :(
I mean that Gateway can't boot from downgraded mset. So in his case that won't help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1