Need advice on buying o3DS housing (current one is worn out and damaged)

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Wizardkoer, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Wizardkoer
    OP

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    So, I got my 3DS back in 2011 when i was 11 and in my twelvie years, I was stupid and the console's housing has a lot of dents and scratches (weird, right?). Anyway I'm wanting to replace the outside housing and the top screen frame. I plan to get these parts off eBay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131931304074

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ta-Repla...989834?hash=item4b0df94f8a:g:4ngAAOSw2xRYTg~y

I will be using an iFixit guide.

Anyway, I have a few questions:

1) Are there any better places to get the housing, because I'm looking for a colour not available here in Australia? :P

2) Any risks/precautions from people who've done this before?

3)Do I need any special screw drivers / tools for this? I've read online that a phillips head will do, but just asking for assurance.

Much appreciated if at least someone helps me out haha

2. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    1 idk sorry XD they should be cheaper :P lol
    2 what at least 3 dismounting videos and be careful with the ribbon cables and their connectors :x , attention on the ifix images but somethime sthey jump some steps idk?
    I busted my lower screen cable connection one trying to fix a problem ... I have to replace the to screen 3D/speaker/etc ribbon of mine and the connector need some " pressure" to work again .A.
    If you really are afraid of dismounting, use these skins instead XD

actually no... maybe a rill, everytime I oppened a o3DS I had to drill 2 screws because they where hold too strong there and got spent

3. BADDINOROX99

BADDINOROX99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 9, 2015
    United States
    1. I've found eBay to be the best place to buy spare parts

2. I've done it a few times just make sure you're very careful even after screws are off the you gotta watch out for clips and adhesive

3. no just a Philips screwdriver a small one preferably with a nice solid tip

4. Oschara

Oschara GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Just make sure you take it slow and watch videos on youtube and tuts on how to do it. Take IT SLOW and you should be good. Ive read that ebay has good replacement backs. You could even find custom ones. Good luck!

5. Wizardkoer
    OP

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    Aha alright I'll watch a few videos to know exactly what I'm going :)

Alright I'll buy a new small phillips head. I fix laptop motherboards all the time and always have to be careful with ribbons so I'd imagine a 3DS would be 20x more fragile.

Yea unfortunately only one seller sold a white one, and that listing is now gone :( . However, I found one on aliexpress so it should be good. Any links to some custom housings? I have the very first o3DS NOT XL and I'm using eBay Australia so some listings might differ :P