Need advice from Australians.

ProjectVirtue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So my Family is going to Australia for the summer. We're visiting the northern part first and then the southern part. I was wondering what the weather will be like. When its June, australia (southern hemisphere in general) is winter. I did some research the other day and it said it was pretty variable. Some places snow, while other places are still 20 degrees.

So i was wondering what kinda clothes i should bring with me. If its gonna be relatively warm or comfortably cold since i'm from Canada.
if you guys could help me out, it'd be great. Just like, what kinda winter seasons you guys get down there on average.

thanks
biggrin.gif

roguefan99

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Okay the northern part is probably a lot like Florida for you. Its gonna be warm, and probably dry. I went to Brisbane last year in July and it was T-shirt weather the whole time I was up there. Most days were around 24-28 celcius max, cant remember minimums

The Southern part should be cold but still much warmer than Canada, its usually jeans, jumper, and jacket weather. If you are going to Melbourne, Adelaide or Hobart I recommend taking water proof gear as it occasionally rains (been raining a fair bit in Adelaide) in these places even though we are in a huge drought. Temps are usually around 0-8 min and 14-20 max (This is Celcius).

The Aussie weather site is listed at http://www.bom.gov.au/ (and yes that acronym makes me laugh).

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
Above Brisbane, along the east coast will be nice and warm. Winter doesn't really exist there
smile.gif
Sydney will be 15-20's with occasional rain. Victoria will be significantly colder with ceaseless rain
smile.gif

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
roguefan99 has the temperature ranges about right.

Being from a colder temp area our winter weather will probably be warmish for you, but I'd still be bringing some warm clothes because occasionally the weather can really dip and get freezing.

ProjectVirtue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
oh sweet. this sounds great then.
seems pretty close to Canada for the most part actually. well, more like our fall but meh xD

thanks alot guys
biggrin.gif

this'll make things easier

ps: anyone have suggestions for cities to visit? we are completely unprepared and are exploring by ourselves. no tour guides. I know melbourne and sydney are must-go places. Anywhere else? we have a whole month down there =o

ryohki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
it all depends on where you're going.
I mean, in Tasmania atm, it's bloody cold.
we're looking at minus temps overnight regularly.
if you're going to queensland, though, it'll be warm(well, not for queenslanders) but may be prone to sudden, short showers.

ProjectVirtue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
when you say warm but not for queenslanders. Do you mean...its considered warm for us and cold for them?

mmm. looks like we'll be packing one or two hoodies.
i peresonally have absolutely no idea where we're going. We have a month down there, we just got tickets, soooo. since i'm asian. my mom will prolly find some old university friend of something like that through her asian connections lol

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As one of the few Australians who has traveled most of Australia (and by that I mean, family gets in the car and spends a good part of 3-5 weeks driving 10,000+ kilometres around the country. Rinse and repeat for the first 15 years of my life
tongue.gif
), pack for both summer and winter. That said, don't pack any heavy coats that take up a lot of space, but given you are from Canada, you'll probably find the cold here to be warmer than what you are used to
tongue.gif

As for what to see, what type of things do you want to see? I'd suggest given your limited timeframe to possibly sticking to the east coast, but if you prefer natural landmarks (eg, Uluru, etc...) then you'll want to travel inland (possibly get a tour, or be prepared for driving).

roguefan99

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It will be warm for someone who lives in Canada, Brisbane was warm for someone who lives on the Sth Coast of Australia, and has only seen snow once!

Sydney, Melbourne would be worth a look. I would also recommend Canberra if you are going to Sydney and Melbourne (depending on how you are travelling). Its probably the "Tourist" place that I have been out of all the places I have gone. It has the "National" of everything, Parliament, War Memorial, Museum.

If you are into Nature then the Grampians is a stunning place to go, I went there about 5 times as a kid (I was like Lukeage I think, every school holidays I got shipped off), its a bit of a hike off the path (like all nature in Australia), but worth a look. Kakadu is worth a look, not sure what it will be like when you are up there but the weather should be good (its dry season), though all of these things are dependant on where you are because travelling around this country can be a pain (drive for a day to get somewhere, see it, sleep, drive back again!)

My recommendation if you can find them is check the Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria tourism websites if you are planning to go to these states. The Aussie Tourism site is at http://www.tourism.australia.com/ I believe (I know the South Australian one too).

ProjectVirtue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks roguefan for all the information.

i talked to my mom yesterday, She told me we're going to be sticking to the east coast, and we'll be dropping by sydney, melbourne, and queensland for sure. We're gonna be driving so, my dad will prolly make stops along the if it looks interesting.

well, its nice to hear the weather will be perfect. ahh, a summer where i'm not sweating to death ^^.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [changes you from AM to PM] Done :)