Gaming Need advice, anything welcome.

eltrut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Recently i have decided that I need to buy a decent PC as for the last 2-3 years I have been making do with a laptop.

I'm leaning towards a HP Pavilion P6020a as it is cheap and sounds to me to be fairly powerful (although i know next to nothing about computer hardware) and was wondering if I should get it or fork out an extra 5-600 to get a custom built one.

It's specs are:
* CPU - Intel Pentium Dual Processor E5200 2.5GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, EM64T, Execute Disable Bit, EIST
* FSB - 800MHz
* STANDARD MEMORY - 2048MB DDR2
* HARD DRIVE - 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive at 7200RPM
* OPTICAL DRIVE - SuperMulti DVDRW LS DL SATA Drive
* NETWORKING ⁄ WIRELESS - Integrated 10⁄100 BaseT network interface (Broadband Ready)
* GRAPHICS - nVidia GeForce 7100
* OPERATING SYSTEM - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Vista I can do without, but how does the rest size up? I do have more than enough money to upgrade it as necessary, but would rather not have to.

So, any thoughts?

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how much did you say you would pay for those specs on a custom built because i built one like that but more ram for $500 but then again i didn't buy vista

eltrut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't looked at these specs for a custom built, just an average gaming computer build. As I said I don't know anything about hardware so really my question in summary was "Is this computer any good?".

Also, I'm talking $AU which is about 1.28 $US, plus we have to pay heaps on most electronics for importing. The computer I mentioned above costs $899 which is $US700.

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well it's good for just computing but not gaming if you want gaming go for at least a geforce 9800 and a core 2 duo. I use vista and don't have any problems i actually like it better than xp even though linux has my heart but since you don't know much about building a pc you're gonna have to pay more than i did.

eltrut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This is from a general electronics store (Dick Smiths, doubt you have it over there) so upgrading or downgrading anything pre-purchase is impossible

moodswinger

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 1gb geforce 9400 and I don't have any problem in any games I play. Tell us what kind of games are you going to play.

eltrut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
To be honest, I will use this to play pretty much any game that tickles my fancy. I mainly play 360 and DS but on those I have no real common theme to the games I play. GTA, Halo 3, Oblivion, WoW, Super Princess Peach (By FAR the best game EVER!), Pokemon, etc. See my point?

So the general consensus is just fork out the cash and get a custom built?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
moodswinger said:
I have a 1gb geforce 9400 and I don't have any problem in any games I play
until you try to play crysis with the eye candy and a respectable resolution that is

Captin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I always get Seagate hard drives as they give the longest warranty, normally 5 years. The performance of hard drives will not worry 90% of the peeps as there isnt much to choose from unless your are setting up a raid array.

Get as much ram as you can afford. I use 8Gb and both Windows Vista and Windows 7 run without a swapfile which makes a big speed improvement.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.