Need abit of help/advice about the wii nand backup??

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by chadders, Jan 26, 2011.

1. chadders
    OP

Member chadders GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Ok, so i've got a launch wii with a wiikey v1 installed and everything works fine.

I decided to softmod my console cos the wiikey was having abit of trouble with some of the newer games. I used the guide on these forums "mod any wii 4.3 and below" or something like that, everything installed fine and all working ok. Nand backed up, bootmii installed as boot2, everything went to the t.

Now, yesturday i softmodded 2 wiis for family, had to install bootmii as ios, both nand's backed up fine, everything ok, neogamma installed, and backups are loading no problem.

This is my problem though?????? I transferred the 2 backed up nands to my PC for safe keeping, where i also have mine, and decided it would be a good idea to stick all 3 onto a DVD just incase the PC fucked up. I put the files into imgburn and burn as data, the 2 from yesturday copy and verify fine but mine for some reason isn't transferring right and errors when verifying.

So i'm now thinking there might be a problem with my backup.

Heres my question(s)!!!

1. When i softmodded my console, did this change something in my nand or do we make a backup just incase something happens that shouldn't??

2. If it doesn't change anything, i take it i just go ahead and make another backup, transfer it to my PC and put all 3 onto DVD for safe keeping.

3. If Softmodding does change something is there something a can check my backup with to see if it is screwed.

I think thats enough to be starting with, hopefully i can get this sorted.!!!! By the way, theres no problem with my console, it all works just fine, but this is to be on the safe side if you get what i mean.

Nice one guys for reading and for your help/advice, this will be my something new learnt for today!!!!

2. mvgc3

Member mvgc3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    NAND backups are for protection from screw ups. You can make a backup at any time and when you restore it, the Wii will be exactly as it was when you made it.

Just make a new backup and burn it to the DVD. As long as your Wii is set up the way you want it now, it would probably be better than the original anyway, since if you restore it you'll have all of your mods ready to go.

Oh an make sure you clearly label which NAND belongs to which console. Restoring the wrong one will render the Wii useless.

3. chadders
    OP

United Kingdom
    so softmodding does modify the nand????

and ive put them all in separate folders

I'd like a copy of my untouched nand if pos though???

Any advice?

4. mvgc3

Member mvgc3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The NAND is to the Wii what a harddrive is to a computer. Anything changed on the Wii, that's maintained between uses, modifies the NAND. Saves, channels, IOSs, System Menus, etc.

If your original NAND backup is corrupted there's nothing you can really do about it as far as I know. I could be wrong though. There's also no real reason for an untouched one. All you need is a working one.

5. chadders
    OP

United Kingdom
    Cheers mate, will try and do another 2moz!!