Need A New MotherBoard

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by gov78, Aug 12, 2007.

Aug 12, 2007

Need A New MotherBoard by gov78 at 10:43 AM (967 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. gov78
    OP

Member gov78 Ha made you Look

United Kingdom
    Hey i just wanted to ask if anyone knew any good sites where they sell cheap computer hardware. the site can be from any where but i need a site with international delivery. i need a new mother board with a socket 775 and PCI-E slot since im getting a new graphics card.

2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
  3. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks

4. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
  5. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
  6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Simply put that motherboard is useless if you want to upgrade but for the price I doubt you could do much better.

With more detail:
    That motherboard is a tad on the lacking in specs side, granted it is a microATX board though.

10/100, Absolutely fine it is for internet and day to day usage but ideally a 1000mbps one, aka gigabit LAN, is desired for network games (I imagine that machine will be relegated to server or some such in any normal LAN stuff).

2 sata and 2 IDE: to each their own perhaps but that is a fairly minimal amount of ports, especially with the current shift to SATA.

"Support DDR2 400/533/667 MHz" Memory tends to clock 800MHz these days with some even higher but there is enough of the older stuff around to not have to worry.

It seems to have some form of integrated graphics as well, not something you want to pay for if you are buying another card. As far as I am concerned neither here nor there in this case.
    On the graphics case, can you say cheap?. The games you want to play are all directX9 based to my knowledge (not sure if anyone has released a patch enabling DX10 features), people are selling of their old high spec DX9 cards for about this or slightly higher which in my opinion are far nicer spec/ driver/ game compatibility wise. This being said some (read most) DX9 era cards do not support HDCP for some of the new "HD" video discs that are floating around. I can leave it (or crack it) and deal with the associated hassle but I do not know about you.
    Also the motherboard also only has one PCI-E x16 Slot which means you can not even stick another 2 cheap cards in somewhere down the line in place of 1 decent one.

Oh and take a wander over to amazon, they have some nice stuff on occasion.

7. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
    so the mother board is just a standered 1 but the graphics card could be better i was gunna go for a 8500/8600 Nvidia card

also if i choose to get that mother board will i need to get a new power supply (i got a ATX Power supply)

8. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    I'd say go for the 8600GT. It's a lot better than the 8500GT.

9. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK iv changed my mind im not gunna up grade to DX10 till next year since i dont see the point in doing it now since by next year il have a new comp anyway and all i want to play is stuff like doom 3 so all i need to know is whats a good AGP 8X graphics card thats worth getting?

10. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
  11. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    That board actually looks very good for the price (£30 from CCL?). If you wanted to step upto a better board you'd be looking at £60+ but in return in that sort of price range you would be getting 4 DDRII slots, 800Mhz DDRII support, faster FBS support and better overlocking abilities among other things.

As for graphics cards if you MUST get a DX10 graphics card the minimum you should consider is an 8800GTS (£180). Those graphics card you linked to will play HL2 and CS:S fine but not Doom 3, and playing a DX10 game on those cards will be more painful than shooting yourself in the head lol. As for the 8500/8600, again, it's a DX10 card but it's not going to be brilliant playing DX10 games, and DX9 performance is poor - an X1950 Pro performs better in DX9 [link] and costs the same money.

It sounds like you may be in a similar situation to me... I looked at upgrading my graphics card on my P4 PC earlier in the year but it seemed a waste of money spending so much cash on a graphics card using a redundant connection (AGP). So I considered changing my motherboard and processor but thought it was silly to only do half an upgrade (so to speak), as I'd be comprising features or spending more to ensure backwards compatibility, and would only end up upgrading the older half of the system 6 months down the line anyways.
    In the end I coughed up for a whole new PC. It's more than I wanted to spend but I think it was worth it and the machine will last me a good few upgrades now.
    So yeah, consider how much you are going to be spending on this upgrade, and how long you are likely to use the upgraded machine for before you need to upgrade it again. [​IMG]

Edit (In response to your last post)

Most DX9 graphic cards are available in both AGP and PCI-E flavours. Just expect to pay slightly more for the AGP version (e.g. a X1950 Pro costs £20-40 more on AGP)

12. iTech

Member iTech GBAtemp Regular

United States
  13. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
  14. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Personally I despise doom3, I have played boring games in my time but damn that raised the bar in that arena. If you really want it track it down for the xbox (hell if you are having a hard time I might even be inclined to send you my copy if you stump up for postage), Xboxes are getting a bit more rare as people realise they make for some of the best media PCs going and want to play xbox games but still.

For me the 7600 line (of which the GS is the worst) is not brilliant, specs are lower than the dabs one too.
    The gecube is OK but the Sapphire Technology beats it, if only for the TV out options and slightly higher clocking (it has extra ram too but I doubt it will make that much of a difference for these cards). So for the sake of 3 pence go for the Sapphire.

15. gov78
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK fast thanks il go for the sapphire