Hardware Need a little help with my 3DS XL Nand mod

SMOKE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a usb nand mod installed, and the installer was able to make two successful dumps with it that matched. The problem is, my Win8 laptop won't recognize it at all. Not even in disk management. I've also tried with a Win7 laptop and my RaspberryPi (with dd command) The RaspberryPi is a Model B+ if it makes any difference.

Now, with my RaspberryPi, I did make a dump, but was 80 bytes, so I'm probably doing it wrong. I think the problem is finding it's correct location. I traced it back to /dev/bus/usb/001/005 with this tutorial
Code:
dd if=/dev/usb/bus/001/005 of=/home/pi/nand.img bs=1M
That's the command I used to attempt to read from nand. I definitely don't want to try and write to it not knowing if it works properly.

I am going to the store tomorrow to get a sdcard to usb reader because I assume the problems I'm having with the 80 bytes is because I'm using a multi-card reader.

Here's the questions I have not been able to find an answer to:

1. Is there any type of driver / program I could install to help Windows recognize the 3ds?
2. Is there a technique to getting Windows to recognize it? ( I notice it's real picky )
3. Am I using the dd command properly for this?

Also I should mention that this 3DS is bricked, and I do have nand backups. I get BSOD with or without charger plugged in.

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sooo the 3DS is picky with the card reader you use. There are a couple that work pretty well and many that just don't like it, or like the 3DS and not the N3DS. My guess it largely has to do with the controller on the reader and the eMMC controller.

For linux that looks correct assuming it is your USB cardreader drive, but i'd recommend backing up the partition as you might just be backing up the header with a file size that big and not the full drive.

These are some quick examples of backing up a drive to a file:

# dd if=/dev/hdx of=/path/to/image

With Gzip compression:

# dd if=/dev/hdx | gzip > /path/to/image.gz

To list all partions / disk you can try

# cat /proc/partitions

or just do a # fdisk -l

Based on the link you posted you are using lsusb which will just list the USB devices and information about them but not their actual partition / disk.

SMOKE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool thanks, getting closer. I can backup drives now.

It doesn't appear to notice the 3ds either, but again, I am using an sdcard adaptor connected to a sdcard to usb reader.

Code:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

179        0    7676928 mmcblk0
179        1      57344 mmcblk0p1
179        2    7615488 mmcblk0p2
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 7861 MB, 7861174272 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 239904 cylinders, total 15353856 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00090806

Device Boot      Start        End      Blocks  Id  System
/dev/mmcblk0p1            8192      122879      57344    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2          122880    15353855    7615488  83  Linux

I will get a sd to usb reader tomorrow so I can make another one. I made one yesterday, but no effect.

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche