Need a hack to slow originals to 3x read speed

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by blitter, Feb 15, 2009.

Feb 15, 2009
  1. blitter
    OP

Newcomer blitter Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    So, if you've read my post over in the wifi forum, then you will know that I begrudge buying 2 copies of Endless Ocean just to play multiplayer with my kid.

So rather than chip my Wii (I'm happy with a soft mod which I rarely use), my new intention is to slow down his drive to read the original at 3x. I don't want to mod his Wii (just the HBC channel is enough for him atm), but I do want to perhaps find a way via say Preloader to slow down the read speed, is there such a hack?

Failing that, I will replace my soft mod with a chip - and read my legit backup at it's intended speed. Thus enabling it to perform multiplayer in my own house without paying double for something which it's supposed to do already. /rant over and I feel good =]

edit: and for the record, I tried tricking the original to slow down reading by quickly ejecting and reinserting the disk...but that didn't work as the link apparently pings every few seconds.

2. 2128

Newcomer 2128 Advanced Member

Australia
    Why not have him run a backup too? Less wear on the original disc if you do that, too.

3. iritegood

Member iritegood GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    HOLY SHIT, THIS MAN IS A GENIUS. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Why didn't you just do this in the first place? Isn't that what backups are for?

4. blitter
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yes for sure it's the ultimate solution. But here's the thing...if I give my kid the power to run backups then by the time he visits again he would have sold his originals and lost respect for the industry. I know it sounds a bit sad but he really enjoys the full experience of having the box art etc. I just don't want to contribute to taking that away. Better that I do the dirty work!

5. kimikal27

Member kimikal27 GBAtemp Maniac

Ireland
    the way i see, you 2 choices
    chip your wii
    or softchip your kids...
    i dont really think theres ny other choice, i guess your gonna go and have to teach your kid "the value of the industry"

6. blitter
    OP

United Kingdom
    You know it's funny because I remember being a 10 year old, we would try to copy cassette tapes on our ZX Spectrum's! A real buzz when it worked... Right now my kid sees my modded Wii as a sensible way for us to do multiplayer, and my backups as nothing more than what they are.

Yeah I should chip, a 1 off payment sounds better than 2 copies of all problem games.

And I'm happy that when he looks at the quality games which we do play often, he knows they deliver their monies worth...so he already both appreciates the value, while I do some evaluating =]

Thanks for the comments.

7. kimikal27

Ireland
    welcome

ps: i do remember those spectrum days , i had a 48k, 128+2 and 128k+3 those were the days, qbasic programing and hait 10 min to load a 1 k7 game ... i miss it

8. games2007

Member games2007 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    *EDIT*
    Um... not sure if one exists o.O

9. kimikal27

Ireland
    one what?