WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lookin for a good ghost movie for Wife®. She's been wanting to catch something decent as the season calls for it.

Stipulations: Needs to be GOOD. No Thirteen Ghosts. No American Haunting. No US-stealing-japanese-movie fluff.

And most importantly, NO CLICHE BULLSHIT ENDINGS.

I asked her to name some movies she wants it to be like:
The only one she pulled out was "The Exorcist."

So something twisted/supernatural/suspensful... you know what i mean.

Two just popped into my head as i was typing that neither of us has seen.
Jacob's Ladder & Stir of Echos

So i'm already going to check those, but use that as your basis as well.

Thanks guys!

PyroJames

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WildWon said:
Lookin for a good ghost movie for Wife®. She's been wanting to catch something decent as the season calls for it.

Stipulations: No US-stealing-japanese-movie fluff.

I asked her to name some movies she wants it to be like:
The only one she pulled out was "The Exorcist."

So something twisted/supernatural/suspensful... you know what i mean.

Can it be the original Asian versions? If yes, try Shutter, Ringu (The Ring) and A Tale of Two Sisters. If no Asian films are allowed, try the first Poltergeist movie. (The sequels are not so good.)

If it doesn't have to be ghost films, try Suspiria, Halloween (tis the season), Rosemary's Baby, The Thing, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), The Exorcist I & III, Black Christmas (the original version), Psycho I & II, Silence of the Lambs, Carrie (the original) and The Omen.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Poltergeist yo
yaynds.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh well as everyone's throwing in old movies I'll chuck mine in!

Legend of Hell House - Classic British horror movie starring Roddy McDowell.
Gates Of Hell AKA City Of The Living Dead - Classic Lucio Fulci ghost story about the haunting of a small Italian fishing village. Comes with lots of gore too!
Suspiria - Dario Argento classic. Not a ghost story, it's about a coven of witches who run a school.
Poltergeist - I'll add my vote for this one too, always loved it. Poltergeist 2 ain't all that bad either if you can put up with the really crappy ending. The preacher is one of the creepiest characters I've seen in a Hollywood horror.
Exorcist 3 - Really enjoyed this, I know alot of people don't like it though.
Phantasm 1,2,3 - The Tall Man. No more need be said!
The Changeling - Ghost story starring George C Scott. Not got alot of fans but it's a pretty creepy movie.
The Howling - You've probably already seen it but it's always worth a watch.
American Werewolf In London - Same as above.
Mother Of Tears - Dario Argentos latest movie.
The Orphanage - This is just outstanding. Italian language though, don't know if there's a dubbed version. One of the creepiest and smartest ghost stories I've seen in over a decade. Relies totally on atmosphere and story telling.
Blair Witch Project - Most people I know hate this but I'm a big fan.
Inferno - Sequel to Suspiria.
Phenomenon - Dario Argento again. Stars a young Jennifer Connoly and Donald Pleasance. If you watch this then avoid the butchered up US version called Creepers.
Two Evil Eyes - A double short story movie, one by Dario Argento and one by George Romwro.
House By The Cemetary - Lucio Fulci, more supernatural then ghost story.
The Beyond AKA Seven Doors of Hell - Same as above.
Last House On The Left - I know it's not a ghost story or a supernatural movie but damnit if it isn't one of the creepiest movies made!
Friday The 13th Part 2 - I always really enjoyed this one. It's where the supernatural part of Jason starts. Awsome awesome beginning.
Carrie - You'll have seen it, but De Palma doing Stephen King can never be bad!

I can give you some more if you want but the ones above are some of my favourites. Real horrors are one of my favourite genres. If you're after zombie movies, Italian shock or just plain gorefests let me know!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I think too hard I go from ghost/supernatural to horror/gore/slasher films so I will and keep on topic.

"NO CLICHE BULLSHIT ENDINGS"
For me this includes moral lessons and the like which seem to be a staple of the genre.

Still I would first err away from that sort of thing and instead look to the likes of oldboy and what have you, for me they are far closer to what a ghost film should be (not to mention the ending is about as far from cliche as you can get).

This being said
Shikoku
Wristcutters: A Love Story (not strictly what you asked for but I thought it was good).
Fragiles http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0422272/dvd
Stir of Echoes

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Why not watch the show "Supernatural"?
I love it, it's awesome and every episode is a separate ghost/supernatural story (but it follows a main story line, which is superb)
sure.. the 4th season just begun, so you got some to catch up to, but hey, you'll always have something to watch
smile.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@CorruptJon:
I haven't seen it, but she has, and she hated it. Thanks for the idea though
smile.gif

@Jax:
We love that flick, she prefers the ABC Miniseries to the Kubrick classic however. She's a HUGE fan of horror novels and likes the miniseries because its a lot closer to the book (and steven webber is a lot creepier as Jack, because he's so nice looking, but flips out). Thank you though
smile.gif

@PyroJames:
Asian is cool. American rehash of asian is not. I think she was checking on A Tale Of Two Sisters. Is that one dealing with... erm... menstrual cycles at some point? (she was reading about it from the other room to me aloud, and thats all that stuck with me.)

Ooo, Suspiria. I should really just snag a bunch of argento's work. Never seen them, but heard they are just amazing. Talked about Rosemary's Baby in an earlier post. Actually, The Thing is on our list. Just "rented" that yesterday, so its ready to go
smile.gif
I think, all but Black Christmas have already been watched (from the rest of the list). Thanks
smile.gif

@DeMoN:
We have both seen all of Shamalammadingdongs movies. She enjoys em, i only really liked Lady In The Water. Scratch that, i LOVE Lady in the Water, but his other movies have not been my cup of tea. Wife® actually has two friends IN The Village, and a gentleman she's met numerous times in Lady In The Water (the kinda recluse guy that sits and watches TV all the time. Yea, that guy)

@JPH:
Seen it, loved it. Looking for more along those lines of classic/good shit
smile.gif

@Dwight:
LOVE Pegg, Frost, Write, Hynes (nee Stevenson) movies and shows. Cannot wait for "The World's End." (the third movie in the Blood & Icecream Trilogy... i.e. SotD, Hot Fuzz and un-made third, which will be that
smile.gif
)

@bangbanger:
Love. That. Show. We've been watching since episode one. Missed the first ep. of Season 4, but caught ep2 and we're right back in. Great reference though!

@TrolleyDave:
Dude, fantastic list. A combination of some that we've seen (and love), a few that have been referenced to us by other people (in person), and others i've never heard of, that i'll definitely look more into!

Fulci & Argento are two names of which i just need to collect their entire works. Gates Of Hell, Susperia, Inferno and Two Evil Eyes are the ones that are going to be first to be looked at. (i mean, Argento and Romero together, how can you go wrong
wink.gif
)

Also- Phantasm - Never fully seen any of those, but i've caught bits & pieces of those. I should REALLY check em all out, in terms of full movies. They do look like good fun.

@Devante:
GREAT movie. Thats one of my classics
smile.gif

@FAST6191:
Oldboy is a fantastic movie. Own that one. Shikoku, i have no idea. Wristcutters... why do i know that name? I was looking at that for some reason. I might have to see about getting ahold of that
smile.gif
. Fragiles - Again, no idea, but i'll look into it!
Thanks!

@noONE:
I'd type it all again, but in short, we LOVE that show. More of an answer from a post above
smile.gif

@Ducky:
I didn't like that one so much, but Wife® loved that in the theater. Tis a good creepy movie though.

Thanks guys for the wonderful ideas. Trolley, i think you get the current award for "most useful" post. Imma hafta look through all of these and see what we really like.

Thanks guys!! You ROCK!

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
TrolleyDave's always great for recommendations, hehe.

Also, try with "Los Otros" (The Others in English, I think). Not a bad one.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ducky said:
Blair Witch Project - Most people I know hate this but I'm a big fan.

Double that.

Oooh yeah. The Blair Witch Project I thought was a masterpiece, because of the documentary aspect. I have seen lots of supernatural/ghost movies but the Blair Witch Project is the only one I have seen at least 5 times! The Sequels were ultracrap though.... (a shame)

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Thing. Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The original One Missed Call series of movies from Japan. Also, look at Kiyoshi Kurosawa's movies. Start with Pulse.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
The original TV version of Juon (it had a smaller budget than the movie, so ended up creepier, but the movie has my baby's momma, Itou Misaki).

I agree with the post above mentioning Kurosawa Kiyoshi. Good stuff.

It's more grotesque than suspense, but Audition is the most disgusting mainstream movie (non exploitation) movie I've ever seen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.