Need a Christmas Miracle! Recommended Procedure and Loader to save wii games to Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by caliskier, Dec 24, 2014.

1. caliskier
    OP

caliskier Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    Looks like a lot of folks are able to get the games saved on their hard drive. I suck. I have USB Loader 3.0 and I have WBFS Manager 3.0. I can get games to slowly slowly load onto a 4GB Flash drive and play. I can't get it to work on anything larger, 16GB or my 64 GB stick, just freezes up no matter how I format (NTFS, FAT32,exFAT, WBFS). All I am doing is sticking a blank (formated) stick in my usb slot in the back of the wii and trying to load games, no folders, no nothing. Just format and go.

Maybe I am doing something completely wrong from the beginning, or maybe I am using the completely wrong tools to do this. What are you guys using and how do you get from formatting of the drive to playing the game from the hard drive?

Thanks in advanced. Trying to get a Christmas Miracle going here

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    What did you used? modmii?

3. Hielkenator

Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    I second that:

Use modmii by Xflak for WINDOWS and follow all the procedures for a unmodded (virgin Wii).
    Make sure to follow the custom generated guide by the letter and you should be playing in about 30 minutes.

https://code.google.com/p/modmii/

4. caliskier
    OP

caliskier Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    Wow, thanks for the quick response, I followed this guy to get USB Loader GX 3.0 on my machine. . So I have homebrew and I have USB Loader GX 3.0 and it runs fine, sees the USB stick, just won't record to it

Wife is tell me I have to go to the store and is pushing me out the door... is modmii a rebuilding of homebrew and usb loader gx on my machine or something to save files onto. Thanks, sorry gota split. Been messing with this since 21st and wife is getting tired of it.

5. elmoemo

elmoemo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 4, 2012
    Try different loaders?

6. Hielkenator

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    Modmii is DEAD simple, Follow that to be on the save side. Everything will be up to date afterwards. should take about half an hour.
    It is the ONLY way to go when you want to softmod your Wii the fastest and safest route.
    When you want to use usbloader GX, you can offcourse just put it on our SD card andinstall the official usb loader gx channel.
    Make sure you get the las beta version of usb loader gx, NOT 3.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zki0wv8thvuhbk3/ModMii6.3.1.zip?dl=0

7. Hielkenator

Feb 7, 2010
    Netherlands
    You are not helping, dude. No offence.

8. caliskier
    OP

caliskier Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    OK, I did this... ran modmii it sticks the files on my SD and USB stick for the wii. I got everything up and running and then i get to step 6, setting up the USB loader. Back in the modmii step it copies 3 folders to my USB stick, but then in step 6.1 it says format to fat32 (it was exfat). So I removed the folders from the usb stick, formated to fat32 then put them back on. The folders are "aps" "USB Loader" and "WBFS". Step 6.2 says to do this

"Copy Files to the Hard Drive Copy everything inside the E: folder to the root of your FAT32 hard-drive\partition."

What is it talking about? There are already folders there, the three mentioned above. So, I make no changes, and I move on to 6.3, (maybe this is my problem)

"Manage Wii backups using Wii Backup Manager (optional)

"You can use this program to manage/transfer your electronic backups of Wii Games."

It is very simple to use, but a detailed tutorial on using Wii Backup Manager can be found here:
    www.sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/iso/wbfs-managers/wii-backup-manager

Note:
    Original Wii Discs cannot be read/copied using a computer (unless you have one of the rare LG Drives that is capable of doing so).

To copy original Wii Disc's, insert the disc into your Wii and Launch Configurable USB-Loader, and hit the plus sign "+". "

I do not have any electronic backups of wii games to manage so I can't do that. Then I try to copy using Configurable USB-Loader, it says copying, but just hangs... "installing game, please wait..." nothing else, does not seam disk is spinning.

What hoop am i not jumping through?

9. caliskier
    OP

caliskier Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    Anyone, sorry, just want to knock this out.

10. nakata6790

nakata6790 True Player

Sep 17, 2009
    Greece
  11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    1. Throw WBFS Manager out of the window, go downstairs, pour gasoline on the carcass, light it up, after 15 minutes cover with sand and forget about it
    2. Download and install Wii Backup Manager and never switch to anything else
    3. Format your external HDD to FAT32, make triple sure that the Volume is set to *Primary*
    4. Perform and post a SysCheck if you want to update individual cIOSes/IOSes *or* use ModMii to perform a complete update
    Post below if you need any of the above points explained

12. caliskier
    OP

caliskier Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    Ok, before I did not have an active partition, only a primary one, so that is a difference.

Also I should point out that the drive I am using is a sandisk 64GB flash drive and it is USB 3.0.

I then used this software recommended by the modmii folks and got it to be FAT32 cluster size 32
    FAT32 Program.PNG

I check disk manager and see it is indeed fat32 and active primary

Drive Status.PNG

I add the folders back into the drive that were recommended by modmii process (folders in my drive below)...
    Folders in drive.PNG

Try it in the wii, turn on CFG USB Loader, hit the +, select A to continue... It says "installing game, please wait..." I do not hear the disk spinning, i cannot see the cursor or get off the screen without doing a hard power off. Pretty much the same thing I was getting before.

13. caliskier
    OP

caliskier Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    UPDATE:
    Tested this same exact process with the 4GB no name flash drive I have. Works fine, easy peasy
    Tested this same exact process with a 16GB png flash drive I have. Starts, works for 2 seconds and freezes
    And of course the original does not even start, just freezes.

Here is my system check if it helps anyone...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

And thank you guys for all the help thus far...

I am curious, if my system check is good, then I wonder if it is just the drive i am using. Is anyone doing this with a flash drive bigger than 4GB? Is that my problem, does it need to be a spinning disk drive? Does it need to be USB 2.0 and not 3.0?

14. caliskier
    OP

caliskier Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    Success - it was the the flash drives. Guess they do not work with this set up. I got a 1TB hard drive and that worked. Still help needed tough. I have researched, have not found anything really clear. Want to make this HD play the wii games I own and play the game cube games that I own from the same hard drive. I might eventually make it so I can play the NES, SNES and N64 games I own so would want know how to format the hard drive for future stuff like that.

Also which is best CFG USB Loader or USB Loader GX?

15. caliskier
    OP

caliskier Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    Success - it was the the flash drives. Guess they do not work with this set up. I got a 1TB hard drive and that worked. Still help needed tough. I have researched, have not found anything really clear. Want to make this HD play the wii games I own and play the game cube games that I own from the same hard drive. I might eventually make it so I can play the NES, SNES and N64 games I own so would want know how to format the hard drive for future stuff like that.

Also which is best CFG USB Loader or USB Loader GX?

16. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Use FAT32, should be no problem with the 1TB drive. Then you can install anything you want on it.

17. caliskier
    OP

caliskier Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    Ok, thanks, i tried using the wii and CFG loader to copy a gamecube game to the hard drive and it said "not a wii disk." How is that accomplished?

Also I keep seeing posts that talk about partitions and how they need to do a special partition for GameCube games. Is that just old and OBE? I might want to one day do some roms for other systems I own and don't want to start over. Can all this be piled into one big fat32?

18. caliskier
    OP

caliskier Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    Just a note to thank the folks here for helping me get this done. Happy New Year

19. mikefor20

mikefor20 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 12, 2009
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Use FAT32 32k or smaller cluster for your HDD. Some formatting tools do not do this correctly. Use the one that comes with modmii and you should be ok. That way you don't run in to problems with nand emulation (wiiware/vc/dlc/and saves on HD). Also I recommend using Panasonic SD formatter only for formating your SD. It is the only one apparently that adheres to the true standard format.

Wiibackupmanager is a much better option than wbfs. Everything will go in to the /games/folder GC and Wii iso.

wiibackup manager
    http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/

Panasonic SD Tool
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/