Hacking (nearly) Complete newbie here wii 4.3e

Jacklynne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone, I used to have a wii which I did chip, did the chip programming, made the programmer and soldered the chip in etc. I have been away from the wii scene for a long time now. I now have a black wii 4.3e. I would like to soft mod it to play backups from a usb hdd. I have no interest in homebrew, wii ware, virtual console or anything like that, I would just like to play backups from the hdd. I have read the modmii sticky thread for about 40 pages, I haven't tried to download it yet or anything. My worry is that i'm not sure if I need all the stuff that modmii gives options to install and I wouldn't know what to pick if it asks me questions as it seems now everything is priiloader, wadloader, bootmii 2,cios, nand etc..
I hope you get the picture - I'm just completely lost as it all seems so much more confusing than soldering your pic chip socket in and programming the chip. I'd sort of like to know what I'm doing so that I'll also know how to undo it if I want to put the wii back to it's virgin state.

It's just a pity I can't use the soldering iron on it anymore, and I've got spare pic chips :(

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I used to have a wii which I did chip, did the chip programming, made the programmer and soldered the chip in etc. I have been away from the wii scene for a long time now. I now have a black wii 4.3e. I would like to soft mod it to play backups from a usb hdd. I have no interest in homebrew, wii ware, virtual console or anything like that, I would just like to play backups from the hdd. I have read the modmii sticky thread for about 40 pages, I haven't tried to download it yet or anything. My worry is that i'm not sure if I need all the stuff that modmii gives options to install and I wouldn't know what to pick if it asks me questions as it seems now everything is priiloader, wadloader, bootmii 2,cios, nand etc..
I hope you get the picture - I'm just completely lost as it all seems so much more confusing than soldering your pic chip socket in and programming the chip. I'd sort of like to know what I'm doing so that I'll also know how to undo it if I want to put the wii back to it's virgin state.

It's just a pity I can't use the soldering iron on it anymore, and I've got spare pic chips :(
Just do everything ModMii tells you to do. cIOS's are absolutely necessary.

Jacklynne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I assume a cIOS is a custom i/o system. But I would like to understand what modmii has built into it (priiloader etc) before I mod my wii. That way I will have more of an idea on how to fix it if it happens to go wrong due to a mistake I might make. It's generally better to have some idea of what you're doing before you start(if you see what I mean). I don't actually know what priiloader and bootmii 2 do(just for an example).

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I assume a cIOS is a custom i/o system. But I would like to understand what modmii has built into it (priiloader etc) before I mod my wii. That way I will have more of an idea on how to fix it if it happens to go wrong due to a mistake I might make. It's generally better to have some idea of what you're doing before you start(if you see what I mean). I don't actually know what priiloader and bootmii 2 do(just for an example).
Priiloader=Brick Protection. Turn your Wii on holding the reset button to access it. Can go straight to System Menu, HBC. Bootmii IOS and any other homebrew.

How it works: Priiloader moves the System Menu and puts itself in its place. By default it "autoboots (automatically loads" the System Menu. That's why you have to hold reset.

BootMii as boot2: Loads System Menu (Brick protection to be used with Priiloader). Can load HBC, System Menu, and other homebrew. Can also restore/backup your entire Wii.

How it works: Right before the System Menu is loaded, there comes a thing called boot2. Bootmii replaces boot2 with itself.

Jacklynne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for that, if you have anymore info on some of these obscure titles can you let me know, i seriously appreciate it. There's nothing worse than not knowing what that piece of software/ plugin whatever does. I also take it that hbc is homebrew channel - which I assume is needed to run any custom software i.e. I need to have that going before a softmod will ever work. In other words if I want to run backups I have to have a hbc.

Edited just to add that I don't even want to play software from different regions - just backups

Jacklynne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Whoops - looks like you answered me while I was typing, there's more info (or confusion) in the above post :) The other thing that I would like to know is if I want to put the wii back into it's normal/virgin state how would I do it? It is possible I assume.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr