The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka

Worth a watch, even if you're not into getting something like that. Dell made some modular laptops before but they were so bulky and expensive as hell, only meant for enterprise.

This one is thinner than an XPS, has USB A ports that are swappable on any side, hot swappable storage, modular battery, speakers, keyboard, display bezels, etc, and RAM/Storage like usual.

Not to mention it's so repair friendly, because of the easily removable parts yes, but also due to "QoL" improvements like every screw used is the same, there's no glue used for things like the battery or touchpad (screws instead).

There's even QR codes on every replaceable component that takes you to relevant documentation/purchase links so you don't need some sort of manual or time spent on google. The microphone even has an off switch with the webcam having the sliding cover.

So much to this thing, it's amazing. Admittedly it's not a laptop with a removable CPU or GPU, though to be fair the manufacturer can't find those separately easily anyway.

It's definitely a step in the right direction and I can see so many people who would buy one, in fact their website has crashed due to this video from a hug of death. It gives no excuse for other manufacturers that deny this can be done well, especially considering they made this in a year. Hopefully the laptop itself is decent anyways.

Last edited by Jiehfeng,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Reminds me of my ol CyberSystems i7 Laptop, where you could replace GPU and CPU.
(Still a 17" Behemoth....)

Sadly modular oftentimes means inefficient...
Meh.

In this case I can't find the inefficiency unless the actual performance and battery life is horrible, everything else seems great. The modular IO uses USB C, the speeds are there. The efficiency of carrying the small storage modules is great as well.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Believe it when I see it or have it confirmed it is not junk, and find myself able to find replacement parts in about 5 years from release.
In a "planned obsolescence" economy ?
Forget about it.

Thanks Edison, you hack and your greedy friends

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I just checked them out, how is that any similar to this? It seems it's just the regular choose your CPU/GPU/RAM/etc thing you get usually with other vendors as well.
You can customize a lot with a Clevo. Clevo themselves don't sell to customers but their a lot of sites that are clevos.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended