Near fatal gaming accident

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by damiussus, Aug 29, 2011.

1. damiussus
    OP

damiussus GBAtemp Regular

Jun 30, 2005
    United States
    So my wife was folding laundry and found my Ocarina of Time 3D cartridge in a pair of pants that had just been washed and dried. I was in a panic. But to my amazement I popped the cartridge into the 3DS and It still works, I tested playing, loading my save, and saving a new file. Everything still works fine.

So thank you Nintendo for making such durable games. [​IMG]

2. XAlexBlitz209X

XAlexBlitz209X GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    United States
    +1 For Nintendo.

3. Fear Zoa

Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

Jun 18, 2009
    United States
    Maryland
    My version of Pokemon ruby went through the wash maybe 4-5 times and still worked, same save and all
    Nintendo does indeed make durable games

4. Dingoo-fan 32

Dingoo-fan 32 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2011
    Brazil
    One day my gba sp falled... [​IMG]

5. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Cartridges are 100% more durable than other media.

6. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    Why would you leave a loose cartridge in your trousers? I've never understood why people do this, surely you would feel the cartridge in your pocket and remember to take it out. Or maybe I'm just a bit obsessed with keeping my possessions safe from harm.

7. evening

evening GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2009
    Canada
    Rokenjima
    I washed and dried my GBA SP about 5 years ago. It still works, even now. Nintendo used to make hardware that lasted forever*

*I've gone through 4 DSs due to hinge failures.

8. dgwillia

dgwillia The Bacon Lover

Mar 9, 2008
    United States
    Columbia Station, Ohio
    I actually did that myself once (Though it was YEARS AGO), left my Yugioh Stairway to the Destined Duel cartridge in my pockets (For GBA), and accidentally washed them.

Luckily it still worked pretty much like normal (Though a few graphical glitches near the end).

Never damaged a game before or after that again. (Except a cracked MW2 disc

9. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I admit to washing my wallet multiple times (and I'm sure others have as well), and many of those times, I checked my pants pockets before throwing them in the washer to find nothing until after they are dried. A cartridge is even less noticeable than a wallet.

10. Hydreigon

Hydreigon Isn't that DELICIOUS!?

Mar 7, 2011
    THE MOOOOOOOON!
    So far, my DS Lite has been stepped on, thrown, washed, and dropped down the stairs. It still works perfectly. [​IMG]

11. Slyakin

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    I'm sure that cartridges would not be too terribly damaged if washed. The contacts won't take much (if at all damage) if wet, but if scratched, THEN is there a problem.

12. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    I still have my N64 and SNES from their respective launch days, and they've both been involved in two fairly serious fires. And yet aside from having to have the Gamecube's aerial cable pull double duty for the N64, they're both fine. Nintendo products are like cockroaches. They'll survive a nuclear blast. They have danced in the blue flame, they are immortal. In fact, here.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Note the little plaque that says it was damaged in the gulf war (by which I assume they mean the original, not the recent remake) and it still works. Got caught in a bombing run on the barracks and you can STILL play Tetris on the damn thing. The only part that was replaced was the screen, apparantly.

13. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009
    If they had to replace the screen... then it didn't actually work before.

You can't play it with a melted screen.

14. machomuu

machomuu Drops by occasionally

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom
    Just because you can't play it doesn't mean it didn't work, and you can play without seeing the screen.

15. DroRox

DroRox Ambassador of Ooo

Aug 1, 2011
    United States
    The Land of Ooo
    Alot of my GB/GBA/DS games have gone thorugh the washer and falls and all of them work. [​IMG]
    The DSi I had before the one I have now suffered 2 5 foot falls and 1 accidental id say about 12 foot throw (that one was the one that cracked the screen and messed up the shoulder buttons.) and it still turned on.

16. damiussus
    OP

damiussus GBAtemp Regular

Jun 30, 2005
    United States

Well the cartridge was in a case when it went in, but somehow in the dryer i guess the two became separated. And I am normally pretty thorough when I check my pockets at the end of the day. I think I was pretty tired after work that day though.

17. shadowkillerdrag

shadowkillerdrag GBAtemp Regular

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
    Hah reminds me of the time i left my movado watch in the lower front pocket of my pants -_-.
    Goodbye good watch.

18. matt1freek

matt1freek GBAtemp Fan

Nov 12, 2002
    United States
    tampa,fl
    And how.. A friends dog dug up a copy of Lego star wars gba from his neighbors yard. Took it home opened it and cleaned it. Worked like a champ. No telling how long it had been out in the dirt. And being in Florida I can only assume it had been rained on . A good find I'd say and worth the effort.

19. DJ91990

DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

Feb 9, 2009
    United States
    Oakwood Region
    Just whatever you do, don't expose any game cartridge to soda. If soda or anything else acetic comes into contact with the copper contacts, the corrosion becomes so great that it negatively affects your ability to maintain a save file. This is what happened to my Metroid Zero Mission GBA Game. It does not lose save data till I beat the game under any difficulty, which is STUPID!

20. ferofax

ferofax End of the World

Jan 26, 2009
    Philippines
    and here i thought the wife almost got murdered (near fatal).

misleading title is misleading.

but yeah, at least the cartridge can survive a trip to tumblewash land. too bad for the sticker though, i bet.