^^ndstitle-1275^^

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Nov 2, 2006.

Nov 2, 2006

^^ndstitle-1275^^ by shaunj66 at 10:34 AM (4,423 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. shaunj66
    OP

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    ^^ndsrelease-1275^^

2. sabinraijin

Member sabinraijin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    For anyone wondering, the EU save worked with the USA version on my M3.

Excellent racer for DS - way ahead of NFSDS in terms of......everything. Handling is closer to the console NFS games, and the music is good for a DS game - right up there with Ouendan. Don't miss this one!

3. khan

Member khan GBAtemp Maniac

Pakistan
    True, one of the only few racers on DS that i actually really like (other being mkds and possibly asphalt gt)

Anyone know when Asphalt GT 2 is supposed to be released? last i heard it was Novermber.

4. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    I thought this game would be great

I believe they started this game once they released their plans to shift focus from the psp to the DS, also it looks like theyve made a solid engine with some nice blurring effects, also they figured out how to overlap translucent sprites which will help a lot with the atmosphere and sense of speed if they use it right.

*buying*

5. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    I must admit I didn't play it very long, but I wasn't at all enthusiastic. The main problem is still that you almost cannot see where the cars are coming from. I was in first place and suddenly.....BANG!....a car from nowhere and I lost. It's the luck factor in these games that I cannot stand. While I am a sucker for racing games I just hate the darkness in the NFSU:DS series. I mean if it would be daylight I guess it wouldn't be so incredibly hard to make out what's coming ahead.

This is driving with a dice IMO

6. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    Some spots are harder to notice those random vehicles coming at you (uphills, turns). But I really didn't have much problems avoiding them through the entire game :|

7. masvill20

Newcomer masvill20 Advanced Member

Philippines
    At least the framerate is very smooth. I really, really hope that Asphalt Urban GT 2 is just as good or even better.

8. Lacrimosa

Member Lacrimosa GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    The only thing I don't like, is that it doesn't have an in-car view... That thing sucks... [​IMG]

9. m_babble

Member m_babble The Bad Boy of Good Behavior

United States
    I wanted to throw my DS half way through the first race.
    This game is really poor.
    I feel sorry for anyone who shelled out money on it.

10. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    I'm with you Babble [​IMG]

11. a_m

Newcomer a_m Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hmm some mixed opinions here...

12. AppleJuice

Member AppleJuice GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It's playable, which makes it the only playable racing game on the DS that doesn't include go-karts.

As for whether or not it is worth playing:

Plus points: Well the engine and physics are pretty good (a massive improvement on other non-mkds racers), there's a good sense of speed, the graphics are quite impressive and you can customize your cars in lots of absurd ways. There's ten or so cars to choose from including a Porsche, an Aston Martin, a Ford Mustang and every pikey's favourite the Golf GTI. Which are actually pretty fun to drive once you've bought all the upgrades, thanks to a decent control set up.

Bad points: Story mode is short and easy. The story itself is really really terrible. The AI sucks and has some of the most noticable rubber-banding I have ever seen. The only difficult part of the game is avoiding traffic which comes at you way too quickly but which isn't there in the 'boss fights' making those parts the easiest of the game (although it is possible to avoid the traffic with some practice).

Oh and the music... not really my cup of tea tbh, but no matter, some of the board members seem to like it. However, there is a real problem with it: There are only about 5 tracks in the game. So expect to hear them over...and over...and over again....

I'd say it is worth trying out, maybe fun for an afternoon and certainly the only racer worth playing on the DS right now if you - for some unknown reason - hate Mario.

EDIT: made it a little clearer

13. wabo

Member wabo GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    you're entitled to your opinion but the game really isnt that bad, i personnally find it pretty good.

Sidenote: Am i the only one who thinks that EA can't code a proper menu in their game? And i mean all their game not only on DS. EA's menus are always so counter-intuitive it boggles the mind that no one noticed that and told them to do something about that..

14. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    In my opinion, this continues the trend of garbage Need for Speed games on the DS. (Who wants to confess to playing the DS version of Most Wanted?) The only one worth playing is Need for Speed Underground 2, and that came about very early in the DS lifespan.

This is not a fun game to play. The developers of all racers on the DS need to work with the strengths of the platform, not try and condense everything from the console version to handheld size.

15. meteora91

Newcomer meteora91 Advanced Member

Australia
    Any differences between this and the EU version?
    Maybe a smoother menu? =]

16. Deaddy

Member Deaddy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Has anyone found write settings that work on the G6 Lite? I got black screens.

And Underground 2 is about the worst racing game, the lousy controls made it unplayable for me, and the graphics stunk.

17. Vidnez

Newcomer Vidnez Advanced Member

The (E) version work with DoFAT + Force R/W, I think the (U) version would use the same settings.

18. Deaddy

Member Deaddy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Thanks alot, I didn't try R/W!

19. lonster

Newcomer lonster Advanced Member

United States
    working on dslink the menu's have a bit of lag but the gameplay seems fine

1.12 kernel
    1.20 software
    2006-10-26 rom.dat
    vanilla sandisk

20. sabinraijin

Member sabinraijin GBAtemp Regular

United States

Yeah that music got old pretty quick. They should have used a larger DS cart and put more music in. Though I'm glad they didn't resort to midi-style music like games on N64.