^^ndstitle-1124^^

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by TPi, Jul 29, 2006.

Jul 29, 2006

^^ndstitle-1124^^ by TPi at 6:16 PM (6,447 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. TPi
    OP

Former Staff TPi One Tired Raccoon

Canada
    ^^ndsrelease-1124^^

2. memyselfandi

Member memyselfandi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    WOW what's this? why is it so big(1024Mb)???

3. Tir

Member Tir GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    "Genre: Beetle Battling"

okaaay... [​IMG]

4. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    Mushi King? Wasn't that the thing successful in the arcades? No idea what it is though...

5. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    What's up with Japan and these beetle battling games? I've seen a ton for the GBA...[​IMG]

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I remember playing the Konchu Ouja mushiking game for the GBA (it was a big 256 title by the way) and actually enjoying it somewhat. Maybe it was sleep deprivation though, it has been known to do fun things to people.

In another thread a little while back Darkforce mentioned a localisation of one of the fighting beetle games too so hopefully at some point soon you can all enjoy the wonder that is fighting beetles

7. x_comp

Member x_comp GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    http://www.mushiking.com/cs/ds/

There are people who actually catch real insects, nurture them and watch them do battle with other insects. You don't see it much but, it does happen in Asia Guess it's the fun of watching real life, tough looking insects brawling together instead of imaginary characters... Stag beetles are most commonly used.

As for this game, I don't like the idea of collecting cards and using rock, paper scissors to do battle [​IMG]

8. JapanLover

Newcomer JapanLover Member

United States
  9. El Diablo

Banned El Diablo Banned

United Kingdom
    Im using this one [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    My brother breeds ants and watches the red and black colonies fight.

11. stepppp

Newcomer stepppp Member

United Kingdom
    Is this actually a DS game or some kind of sick joke?

Regards

12. werwe

Member werwe GBAtemp Regular

This series is huge in Japan. The GBA Mushi King was one of the top selling games on the system. Should be another big seller for DS.

13. m2pt5

Member m2pt5 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I seem to recall that the Pokémon series was originally derived from insect battling.

14. KroBa

Newcomer KroBa Advanced Member

Australia
    Well yeah, it seems it would be.

15. suchiru

Newcomer suchiru Member

United States

This is what really took off after Pokemon in Japan. It is a HUGE HUGE anime series for children. It rivals Pokemon fame. And, being a Japanese studies major I can certainly tell you why. *I wrote a paper on it.*

in short:
    In Japan there are only 3 animals that have venom that can kill humans, so insects have not had the bad steriotypes that we give them in America/(wherever you are from). They actually care collected like trading cards in parts of Japan where there are places for the bugs to live, as most of Japan is covered in concrete. Mushi King (????) saw what pokemon did with it's monsters and made it based much more on the bug aspect while adding more well defined evil characters that were not as "stupid" as the Team Rocket members. That's it in short. have fun

16. x_comp

United Kingdom
    Maybe that's part of Japan's motto "copy and improve"... Take the idea of insect fighting and change the insects to imaginary characters [​IMG]

Japan can just about make anything popular by turning them into a popular Anime/Manga.

17. yuwing

Member yuwing GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    LoL! I can't wait until they make an anime all about watching paint dry! It'll take the world by storm! maybe a DS game with you painting a wall and watching it dry on the same SCREEN! omg *drools*

18. Triforce

Member Triforce GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
  19. x_comp

United Kingdom
    Of course, they can do that! When you stare at something for too long, who knows what sort of things come into your mind [​IMG]

But seriously. Take a look at Hikaru no Go, an Anime about chess and suddenly the number of people playing Go flared up in Japan. Who would have thought a Manga about chess could become so popular? Then there's the recently finished Yakitate about baking... This is what makes Anime/Manga great. There's always something new and different.

20. Tuxedo Kamen

Member Tuxedo Kamen GBAtemp Regular

x_comp, "Hikaru no Go" isn't about chess, it is about a classical japanese board game called... "go". More information can be seen in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(board_game) .
    Actually, I heard rumors about a chess-based anime series, but always failed to find it or any information about it. I wonder if a game based in such series would be a normal chess one, or if it would have special moves and stuff like that.

As for this game, I never really understood what's the point in these games. The gameplay is generally with stone-scissors-paper battles, and you see the beetles performing impossible stuff, such as earthquakes and stuff. While my passion for japanese gaming is fairly known around here, I simply hate this kind of game! >_