:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Oh great, so it's another nuke?

I should've guessed when I read this:
"Guys, a proper of a game that works perfectly is useless, who cares about that secure area anyway... No one will notice any difference if it works as well."

Edit: Yep, just checked, doesn't reencrypt
frown.gif

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
There isn't a supercard dumper is there? A bad dumper is still better than no dumper.

Arg nuke. Well, at least it plays fine, he claims. I'd rather have a 100% working New Super Mario Bros. *Bad Secure Area* now than wait for a clean dump. =P

However for collectors and perfectionists, bad dumps won't cut it, huh?

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There isn't a supercard dumper is there? A bad dumper is still better than no dumper.

Arg nuke. Well, at least it plays fine, he claims. I'd rather have a 100% working New Super Mario Bros. *Bad Secure Area* now than wait for a clean dump. =P

FWNITRO should be able to dump to Supercard... Don't know if it dumps better files than the M3 dumper but it should work with the M3, too. Never tried it, though.

feriol

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There is one, FWNitro. Well, actually it's a firmware replacement and not only a dumper. Anyways, it only dumps to CF cards, and I don't know even a single person who didn't choose the SD version.

edit: Damn, too late again! I'm slowly starting to hate these forums...

Dirtie

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
When ROMs are dumped, they can't be dumped 100% cleanly - there is an encypted secure area, but there is no way to dump it encrypted, therefore all ROMs released have a decrypted secure area.

The no-intro team have released a tool that allows us to reencrypt the secure area, to get as close to a clean dump as possible, however, if said secure area can't be reencrypted, then it is bad/corrupt.

What difference does it make you ask? More than likely, if a real NDS flash cart is released, the secure area of your roms will need to be encrypted and intact. We don't want what happened to earlier GBA roms to re-occur - even now releases that were dumped a long time ago have to be redumped - it's a lot easier to do it as soon as they are released. Consistency is a good thing
smile.gif

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

There is one, FWNitro. Well, actually it's a firmware replacement and not only a dumper. Anyways, it only dumps to CF cards, and I don't know even a single person who didn't choose the SD version.

edit: Damn, too late again! I'm slowly starting to hate these forums...

I chose the CF version. The only reason someone should choose SD is for the size.

CF is much better memory.

helpme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:

thats strange i dont know a single person with the sd version & i would not advise anyone to buy one they have always been inferior

Dirtie

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
We don't want what happened to earlier GBA roms to re-occur - even now releases that were dumped a long time ago have to be redumped - it's a lot easier to do it as soon as they are released. Consistency is a good thing
smile.gif

Did´nt that happen when around the 50 first NDS dumps got nuked?
Yes it did in a way. Since the Neoflash kit was the only one out and the only way to play roms, GST's patched roms were the norm for a start, luckily their 'monopoly' fizzled out.

DarkLink

Advanced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Now see you didn't read my post!
lecture.gif
I said it's better not to have a dumper than to have a bad one
nyanya.gif

No it won't people need to check before releasing their bad dumps, but some are just creditw*res
lecture.gif

When ROMs are dumped, they can't be dumped 100% cleanly - there is an encypted secure area, but there is no way to dump it encrypted, therefore all ROMs released have a decrypted secure area.

The no-intro team have released a tool that allows us to reencrypt the secure area, to get as close to a clean dump as possible, however, if said secure area can't be reencrypted, then it is bad/corrupt.

What difference does it make you ask? More than likely, if a real NDS flash cart is released, the secure area of your roms will need to be encrypted and intact. We don't want what happened to earlier GBA roms to re-occur - even now releases that were dumped a long time ago have to be redumped - it's a lot easier to do it as soon as they are released. Consistency is a good thing
smile.gif
Tell that to the silly release groups that want you to accept their bad dumps as good
rofl2.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just to add more confusion to the mix there are two ways to re-encrypt the DS rom: no-intro's encrypter and later versions of NDStool, both do it differently too.

Should you wish for a tool to check for bad roms NDSTS should (you can also grab no-intros re-encyption tool there should you want it): http://www.gbadat.altervista.org/gbata.htm

And yeah GST roms are universal nukes but the first 50 or so "proper" releases" (and a few after) were bad too, hopefully all this buisness will settle down soon though with the release of a good dumper.

Dirtie

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The no-intro encrypter leaves the section between 1000-4000h blank. This section apparently contains encryption tables but there is no way for this to be read from the cart utilising the DS itself. NDStool just randomly creates bytes in this section. For further info, check the no-intro forum: http://x.or.internet.free.fr/forums/showthread.php?t=472
Yeah I realised that, which is why I didn't say encrypted ROMs were perfect, just as clean as we can get right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +3