^^ndstitle-0919^^

Zaraf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
man i can't wait for the english version... how long does it take to learn japanese? maybe i can learn it so i don't need to wait for every game!
tongue.gif

You can learn to read hiragana and katakana quite quickly. But if there is kanji, that will take a while longer to learn. Also, it depends on how fast you can learn languages too.

huh? is there three kinds of japanese?! omfg... i don't want to live my life just to learn japanese... but still.. it would be fun ;D

Not 3 kinds of japanese, but rather, 3 different alphabets. If you take a look at japanese, Hiragana are the characters that are fairly simplistic, and are rounded and fluid. Hiragana is used for normal japanese words and grammer things (eg. watashi WA machi NI ikimashita; the WA and the NI are grammer letters called particles). Katakana are the characters which are more rigid looking and "box-like". Katakana is used mostly for foriegn words which are not native to Japan. Katakana is nice since if you can sound out the word, you can figure out what it says (eg. Seebu = Save, Rodo = Load). Kanji are the complex characters that you see, and those involve basically memorizing each kanji and knowing the meaning (although, there are some parts to kanji that have constant meanings, but that's more advanced). Kanji are basically the same as Chinese characters, so people who know Chinese usually have an easier time with this (although similar, not the same).

If you look at the first screen shot in this thread (on the first page with the hero talking to the girl), in what the girl is saying, we have:
First letter is hiragana, second is kanji, third is hiragana, a comma, then the next four letters on this line are katakana, then two more katakana letters on the second line, followed by one hiragana, one kanji, one hiragana, two kanji, one hiragana, and on the third line, there are 5 hiragana characters, followed by an exclaimation mark.

That's just to give you an idea of what the written language of japanese is like
smile.gif
I hope it's not too confusinging
tongue.gif

QUOTE(CakkuZ @ Feb 26 2006, 06:39 AM)
I really liked the gba sword of mana so when they translate this we will hopefully finaly have proper (action)RPG for DSÂ
bow.gif
Â
yaynds.gif

Why is it that people think this game is going to be different if/when they translate it? The game is going to be exactly the same, only in english! It's not going to turn into Secret of Mana style game play if/when they translate it, so please stop saying that
tongue.gif

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
wow...sounds like it would be even more difficult to learn to read than i thought. they need to make "train yourself to read 3 kinds of japanese so you can play all these wicked games we will probably never release in your native lanuage."

cheatah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For floating blocks: You're supposed to use enemies or barrels to block them so you can get by. Its easier to do when you get the flail.

The bird boss is easy if you deflect the spinning projectiles back at him with the sword charge move.

The barrel objects can also be broken by tossing barrels at them. Also can be broken with the mallet which you get a few levels after.

Mana/HP are restored everytime you enter a new room. You pretty much don't even need items in this game.

AFAIK, there is no AI and you only control one character. You need to play coop with human players to have more then one. The dungeons get quite a bit harder too. I'm not 100% sure however as I'm only about halfway through the game.

I

Irritated

It surprises me that no one was chocked with the dull gameplay of finding key to open gates to the next level in dungeon. It really makes the whole dungeon crawling yet another dungeon crawling game. No strong reason you have to go to a dungeon and break pots to open ways to go up, it's much more on the action than on the rpg... Moreover, SD2 and SD3 were not like this ! SD3 dungeons were really involving, no dull background, dull monsters, dull gameplay...
I'm really disappointed, this game is Shining Soul made by Squarenix...

You know. There is a reason for this. And that is:

This game was not made by Square Enix. It was made by Next Entertainment, who made the original Shining Soul.

I really wish people would do even a small amount of research before flashing a game.

axis2k5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've gotta say, anyone will have problems learning Japanese for a game. For something like GBA's Final Fantasy IV, you could essentially do it, as it is possible to have the text entirely in Hiragana, and Katakana (but that in itself will prove troublesome, in that Japanese is also a language without spaces between words.

As for most normal games, they use all 3 alphabets, and the problem with Kanji, is that every single one has many different ways of reading it, and it impossible to know even one way without knowing the Kanji in advance....

Zantagor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bah, learning japanese isn't THAT hard, the language itself is extremely well structure, grammar ain't complex at all and follows basic rules (unlike most Latin based languages, where a rules has like a thousand little exceptions)

It's true that Kanji's can be a pain, and for that, you can always use Kanji Flash cards... There's a few free software for that which can be very useful to learn the most used ones.

As long as you can remember the particles system, it's not too complex
wink.gif

shado blackstar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There are more exceptions in the english language than there aren't.

It's disappointing to hear that this is a dungeon crawler, but I'm not that disappointed, really. The game looks like it's fun, and the ranking thing is nice.

Zaraf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There are more exceptions in the english language than there aren't.

It's disappointing to hear that this is a dungeon crawler, but I'm not that disappointed, really. The game looks like it's fun, and the ranking thing is nice.

I agree. It's not exactly what I was hoping for, but it's not a bad game either. So I'll enjoy it still
smile.gif

bluemax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man i can't wait for the english version... how long does it take to learn japanese? maybe i can learn it so i don't need to wait for every game!
tongue.gif

3 semesters of college will get you to the literacy level of a 5 year old, minus kanji. I think you'd have to minor in Japanese to get to a comfortable speaking level, and even then your reading will be so so at best. Learning the radicals makes learning and reading Kanji easier but it's no walk in the park.

Don't even get me started on number counters.

Zaraf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
tongue.gif

3 semesters of college will get you to the literacy level of a 5 year old, minus kanji. I think you'd have to minor in Japanese to get to a comfortable speaking level, and even then your reading will be so so at best. Learning the radicals makes learning and reading Kanji easier but it's no walk in the park.

Don't even get me started on number counters.

Hahaha, I almost forgot about number counters
smile.gif
fun stuff
smile.gif
And you also gotta love how a single kanji can be read different ways depending on the context
tongue.gif

Jojjy Ugnick

shake your bonbon
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Bah, learning japanese isn't THAT hard, the language itself is extremely well structure, grammar ain't complex at all and follows basic rules (unlike most Latin based languages, where a rules has like a thousand little exceptions)

It's true that Kanji's can be a pain, and for that, you can always use Kanji Flash cards... There's a few free software for that which can be very useful to learn the most used ones.

As long as you can remember the particles system, it's not too complex
wink.gif

Hmm now I'm curious as to what your first language is...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: well.. Sorta new :)