NDSMail 0.60 fails on WPA?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by gosub, Aug 26, 2010.

Aug 26, 2010

NDSMail 0.60 fails on WPA? by gosub at 8:32 PM (1,145 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. gosub
    OP

Newcomer gosub Member

United States
    I'm trying to make NDSMail work with Gmail over POP3 on a WPA2 AP. The system settings for the router are fine - I can browse via NDSi Browser - but I keep getting "Could not connect to AP" error in NDSMail. It's patched via DLDI (which should be irrelevant until I try to download mail anyway AFAIK).

I know the author said no WEP support (despite contradictory GUI entry) because it is not secure. Right, okay, that's why I'm not using it on my router either despite Nintendo's genius in that regard. But does this mean that he did the intelligent thing and assumed WPA - or that there is zero support for secure authentication? Or am I just missing a step somewhere?

Failing that - what's a good homebrew alternative for this application? NDSi Browser *works*...if you like scrolling over a huge page, since Gmail doesn't detect this as a mobile device and give you the low-resolution GUI (maybe there's a way to override that?).

2. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Flashcarts cannot use WPA/ WPA2.

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    More like DS Mode Homebrew cannot use WPA/WPA2 [​IMG]

Now that DSi Mode is cracked, we should start seeing homebrew being able to use WPA (obviously, only by running them via the newly-discovered DSi exploit).

4. gosub
    OP

Newcomer gosub Member

United States
    Well drat, I didn't know it was a DSi mode thing. That does rather put a crimp in matters unless I want to leave my AP open. [​IMG]

On the other hand, hurray for DSi mode getting cracked! [​IMG]

5. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    Don't get too excited. So far the crack only works on early DSi model. Later DSi and DSi XL are "immune" to this crack.

6. gosub
    OP

Newcomer gosub Member

United States
    Aww. Then again, "so far"...tomorrow, who knows. Apparently even the PS3 will fall soon.

In the name of tying this off for future reference, I'm looking at one or both of the following as a workaround.

a) Install Tomato firmware to router. This will allow blocking of all devices which are not on a whitelist of MAC addresses. This is not all that secure, but it's unlikely that anyone will get on your network short of performing the sort of sniffing which would break WPA anyway.

b) Tough it out and use the DSi Browser software. Apparently there's no way to force Gmail into mobile mode since it has to go off the user string on the server side. However, HTML mode can be accessed through http://mail.google.com/mail/x/ and it works even if the interface is extremely awkward to use.

7. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States