NDSL powering on, but won't charge.

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by sb1129, Mar 21, 2017.

1. sb1129
    OP

sb1129 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2017
    United States
    Just my luck! I start using my old DS Lite again for the first time in years and the case cracks within a few weeks! Needless to say I ordered a replacement shell and just finished moving all the parts into it yesterday.
    The problem is now the darn thing won't charge. The battery was full before I started, so it does power on, and should continue to do so until that dies. But plugging in the charger does absolutely nothing, like the system isn't even recognizing it.
    After some googling my guess of the culprit was the em10 part of the circuitboard. It seems that it can easily come loose when reattaching the back of the case. After some inspecting it does appear that this component isn't fully attached. However it does not look to be damaged either.
    My question is whether it's necessary to fully replace the em10 or if I can somehow check whether the current one still works as I have little to no experience with soldering.

Thanks!

2. sb1129
    OP

sb1129 Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2017
    United States
    Update:Whoops, I made it worse.... Holding it in place seemed to do the trick (charging light came back on), so after trying trying to tape it in place the em10 came clean off the circuitboard. Guess that means I'm either outta luck or learning how to solder it back on... yippee......

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

For anyone interested in a visual look at the problem here's a picture: IMG_2521.JPG The em10 is sitting off by itself to the lower right of the screwdriver tip, pointing to where it's supposed to go.

3. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 GBATemp's Official Skiddo™ | Founder of Skiddoism

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    That image is way to big for this site. please size it down.

4. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    Bullet Hell
    I've got an old DS phat that developed the 'works fine but not charging' issue after suffering a fall (my workaround is to use a second DS just to charge the batteries)... maybe I should take a look at the EM10 in mine :unsure:

Seems fine to me - try browsing the site on a suitable device rather than policing users to suit your needs.

5. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 GBATemp's Official Skiddo™ | Founder of Skiddoism

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    I'm on a laptop, when I first loaded the thread the picture stretched out the page to the side. Now its fine.

6. EthanAddict

EthanAddict Face the Slayer!

Nov 12, 2016
    Greece
    You can learn how to solder and solder it back, search for online tutorials and buy one soldering iron to practice on something before you try on your DSLite, or buy another DS...