NDS TokyTrim

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Chotaz, Dec 2, 2007.

Dec 2, 2007

NDS TokyTrim by Chotaz at 9:53 PM (2,468 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. Chotaz
    OP

Member Chotaz I'm back! :D

Portugal
    Title and description say it all... ive trimmed all my 1700+ roms and i wnana know if i have to download all them again or not [​IMG]

2. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    It shouldn't. TokyoTrim auto-detects things like WiFi so it doesn't over trim.

I've been using it for a while now and it always worked well for me. Never had a ROM fail yet.

3. Chotaz
    OP

Portugal
    thanks i was affraid of having to DL more 80GB of roms all over agian :|

4. joshwill80

Newcomer joshwill80 Advanced Member

United States
    Yeah no problems here, but I do burn the roms untrimmed and 7zipped to dvd. You never know when you might need the untrimmed rom.

5. Chotaz
    OP

Portugal
    yeah im thinking of getting DL dvds and star zipping the roms and burning them to DVD, 80GB ocupied in a 111GB hdd is to much :\

and dont really know ytf you would need the untrimmed rom, for each 100 roms i save from 800mb to 1gb o'space after being trimmed

6. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    Is there a point to downloading that many DS ROMs? I just download the ones I like.

3/4 of the 1700 DS ROMs are utter crap anyways.

~Nero

7. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I used to collect them all, but know days i just download about 50%, anything that sounds remotely interesting.

the others really are a waste of space.

8. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    What's the point of having a US, Japanese, and European dump of [almost] every game?

9. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    Okay just say Nintendo manages to close every single rom site down, including shutting down the rom related torrent trackers (this is all theory and im not hinting anything [​IMG] ).

Where would we go if we ever needed a few of the old roms. As long as there are collectors like ChotaZ there will be roms and DS piracy, you should be thankful hes taking his time, bandwidth and HDD space to build a nice collection, who knows what might happen in the future.

10. joshwill80

Newcomer joshwill80 Advanced Member

United States
    I have the roms sets for all the old school roms, but the DS roms are just to big imo to have a full collection. And ChotaZ, the reason I keep them untrimmed on DVD is because a clean untrimmed version might be needed in the future. I can do this because I'm not collecting every rom.

Still, if you want to grab them all, that's up to you. Like enigmaindex said, it can be helpful having a rom set. I would 7zip them over zip or rar if you want to save as much space as you can.

11. matriculated

Member matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Yeah, 7zip can compress much better if you group the games by region (eg compress Mario Kart (U), (J), (E) into one file). A complete set of games 7zipped can be as low as 20-25GB. Even RAR can come somewhat close if you turn on solid compression. The problem with doing this is that games are coming out frequently so it's hard to update your archives.

12. Chotaz
    OP

Portugal
    nah, my DVD's are label'd like this:

NDS Roms #0001--#0300
    i have all rom inside a zip and each 25 zips inside a 7z, so i can save more space and out mor roms in a DVD

*feels great that finally someone got the point of collecting roms*

i also have all my roms uncompressed ina HDD im sharing trough an FTP server, so when a friend of mine needs a rom he just grabs it from my server, i have almost 85GBs of roms sharing atm ^^, if ya want the adress to gen any old rom you can find with good seeds/peers, just pm me and i'll give you a free 1day limit account to get any rom from there [​IMG]

13. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    Ohh Chotaz, thats awesome i may take you up on that offer to get me some free roms soon. Thanks.

14. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    You might as well invest in an external HDD or another internal. DVDs don't last forever, so if you really care about the collection, you might not want to use discs (not to mention they can be damaged by abrasion/light/etc).

15. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I've been archiving ALL the ROMs myself. I don't bother with the XXXX ones, but the standard 0001-current....yeah.

I have terabytes of hard drive space, so it's no sweat to save them all. I zip them in packs of 50. Once I get enough to burn to a DVD, that's what I do.

The only reason I do it is because the DS is the first system I've had since launch, I have the HD space and because I can. I was starting to do that with older systems (GBA, Genesis, SNES, etc.) but I decided to only archive the games I actually like on those because I wasn't there for those since the beginning like I have been for the DS. I'm not usually an early adopter.

I only trim the ones that I put into my R4. Otherwise they all stay as the original downloaded zip.

My friend's two daughters have R4's, but they don't have home access to PC's, so I have the DVD's and a laptop to hook them up with the latest every few weeks.

16. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    When i wass playing call of duty modern warfare it crashed couple of times during all of my game passing (it was trimmed with nds tokyo trim), but this could be the fauld of m3simply or microsd (but who knows). [​IMG]

17. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    wats so good in this trimmer that all the other trimmers such as r4 2.0 or skinny one don't have

18. matriculated

Member matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    -it's fast - really fast
    -scans roms for wifi block and only trims it if necessary
    -seems to save more space than other trimmers

19. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    I have about every single rom as well all ready all ziped takes up about maybe 35 gigs? I have not updated in a while which I shall do soon. It is just nice to have a collection when needed. I need to burn them off my external though to save a bit of space. I also have a collection of every GBA and NES and SNES but thats just me being a collecting freak [​IMG]

20. BrianTokyo

Member BrianTokyo NDSTokyoTrim Dev.

Japan
    2.0 out with changeable background, check out the main thread.