NDS Saving: SC and M3

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Hanafuda, Jul 14, 2006.

Jul 14, 2006

NDS Saving: SC and M3 by Hanafuda at 3:14 PM (1,811 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. Hanafuda
    OP

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Note: I'm not looking for a big SC vs. M3 hogpile here. I'm asking for a comparison of one specific feature ... NDS save function.

I'm looking for a holdover miniSD solution for NDS games until the G6L comes along with an 8GB version later on. All I care about is NDS games so you don't have to get into how the SC doesn't do GBA as well as M3. Whichever I buy, I may never even put a GBA game on it. (I love my EFA's) But in comparing the M3 and SC for NDS games, I want to know a bit more about how saving works.

The SCminiSD allows NDS games to save directly to the miniSD card. In other words, saves are not transferred first to SRAM, and then to the media card after the next reboot. AFAIK this works well in all games. I see this as a huge plus, and I'm surprised more isn't made of this feature when these carts are compared.

AFAIK, the M3 still does the SRAM hold and then write to miniSD on reboot. But I've seen at least one person comparing all the carts (SC, M3, G6, EZ4) list the M3 having "real time save" the same as they listed for SC. Does the M3 now support direct writing like the SC? That would be great if it does, but I assumed that person was talking savestates, which would be a little different.

Which of the two has the more stable and reliable method of saving NDS games?

2. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    As far as stable and reliable NDS saves, both devices are pretty much equal. But as far as ease of use......SC blows M3 saves outta the water.

3. FifthE1ement

Member FifthE1ement GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    With the M3 saving games in a pain in the arse but they do save fine! With Supercard you can't tell the difference between using the Supercard or a real game cart! With the Supercard its as easy as playing your rom and saving whenever you like. You just save as if you had a real game cart in your DS and thats it! No having to go back and manage the save... nothing! Your done! Supercard has the best save system of and flashcart! Like I have said before with Supercard Mini-SD(Looks like a GBA game and sits flush with the DS Phat), a Passcard3/Superkey, and fast media byt ATP or Ritek you won't ever be able to tell you have 50+ games on your DS system or that is modded! Supercard even has a nifty program so that you can mange mulitple game saves for games like Nintendogs, and Animal Crossing which only allow for one game save! Supercard is the best choice for DS games as it allows for the no fuss DS experience. Its cheap and it works and the devs update the game list more then other companies so you'll never find a game that doesn't work.

FifthE1ement

4. Hanafuda
    OP

United States
    Hey FifthE1ement. Yeah I know you like the Supercard. [​IMG] Actually you've been a great help to me the last couple days here and at scdev, so I wanna say thanks. Wish me luck I'll be making a buy this weekend. Finally.

edit: hey Fifth or anyone - just thought about something ... what about games where saving is not a deliberate action, but more of a continuous process, such as Mario Kart where the game automatically saves? Does Supercard still perform like a commerical cart for these games?

5. wabo

Member wabo GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Everytime i see this i wonder... I've been using M3's for a good time now and still have to find that pain you're talking about. Works just like an original cart. Yeah the save goes in sram and is backed up when the DS is restarted. NO you don't have to restart it right away, you don't have to think about anything. Some people are just spreading misleading information like you have to power cycle the DS right after finishing playing to back up the save and whatever.

Well you don't have too, m3 use the same battery as my old F2A (if i'm not mistaken) and those are REALLY lasting. My F2A is 3 years old and still saves EVERY game flawlessly. If you ask me, those battery are even better than the rechargeable one some carts use. You know, those that you have to put the linker in for 8 hours before using, or like the EZFA where if you don't use it for 3 months, chances are your saves are gone. Even if it's rechargeable, it won't last longer, rechargeable battery dies too you know.

Well my post as little to do with the thread subject , i admit. I never saw a supercard because i always stayed far away from them. This goes back to GBA days where it was evident that it was an inferior products at the time compared to standard flash cart. it was just a cheap way to get into it for the people who were too cheap to shell out the dough for a proper flashcart. So i'm not in a position to compare their DS side. I'm just fed up, everyday i see comments that makes no sense posted by people and it creates falses rumours.

6. FifthE1ement

United States
    "hey Fifth or anyone - just thought about something ... what about games where saving is not a deliberate action, but more of a continuous process, such as Mario Kart where the game automatically saves? Does Supercard still perform like a commerical cart for these games?"

Yes, Supercard saves just as if you had the cart in the DS iteself! Works great!

"NO you don't have to restart it right away, you don't have to think about anything. Some people are just spreading misleading information like you have to power cycle the DS right after finishing playing to back up the save and whatever."

We are just saying that with the Supercard you DO NOTHING! No power cycles, no restarts, just save as if you had the game in your DS. Thats why Supercard is better then the M3. I don't play most GBA games but I know the M3 is better at that but when it comes to DS games the Supercard is 1000x better. We already have an update for all the new games that have just come out including Megaman ZX!

FifthE1ement

7. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Bottomline: SC saves easier than M3.

8. meangreenie

Banned meangreenie Banned

United Kingdom
    You must be joking mate , what about the battery bullshit spread about the supercard !! It even makes it into gbatemp reviews. check the Supercard miniSD review on this board, they tested Dogs on a old Phat DS and got 5 and half hours continueous play and then said it had bad battery drainage.

Honest folk would say that 5 and half hours continueous play on a old phat DS means you are lucky.

M3 owners have had it good when it comes to spreading fudd. But I do agree the saving issue don't really exist, they both save fine, just the SC does it directly so no boot up save waiting. I have an Ez4 too that uses the type of system as the M3 and the only time it bothers me is when I boot into GBA mode where it can take up to 20-30 secs to save the blooming save.

9. Thorisoka

Member Thorisoka GBAtemp Regular

France
    Yes that GBA saves thing, but that's indeed a matter of criticizing other material.

Haha [​IMG]
    there are always games that require an update, some times. last one was on M3, so what ? Supercard is "1000x better" just for that ? [​IMG]

"with the Supercard you DO NOTHING", well, hm, with the M3 you still DO NOTHING :/
    Ah. Yes. You have to boot again your DS whenever you want to complete the saving operation, whereas on Supercard you don't have to... and for playing again later on, you don't boot you DS ? [​IMG] then you still "DO SOMETHING", just like with M3 [​IMG]
    Really, I'm not sure to follow you about what you don't like with M3's saves...

(same things for backup saves, that's fair simple and logical for most ordinary people.)

10. Hanafuda
    OP

United States
    well, the die is cast either way. put in the order for SCminiSD/Superkey bundle an hour ago. $73.25 delivered. I think that's what a beer and a hotdog costs at Yankee Stadium these days, so good deal I think. xD

11. meangreenie

United Kingdom

What minSd card have you got to go with that ? try for and fast named brand one for best results.

12. Hanafuda
    OP

United States

bought the Ritek 150x 1GB Silver. SHould do the trick.

13. meangreenie

United Kingdom
    yes that should do the trick nicely.. good luck with it all

14. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    I would not really say Supercard is 1000x better than M3 for DS support. They go pretty much hand in hand. M3 is "usually" just as quick with fixing support if there are any issues. In the case of Rockman ZX, it was patched roms. Not to mention that alot of the time, M3 doesn't need to be updated at all. Alot of these updates add new functionalities (or sadly fix them) to the device. Still no getting around the fact that you either need to software reset or go a power cycle to finish the saving process though. But an extra 5 seconds isn't something to condemn a cart over. The price is where you can attack an M3. If GBA doesn't have to be perfect, then Supercard is the choice any day of the week (or maybe EZ4, wonder how it's GBA compat is...).

And Wabo, that's not misleading information about turning it back on right away. If you leave your DS for a bit before finishing the saving process, the save can corrupt. Lost 2 tetris saves and a 100% NSMB save the exact same way. I find it.... a bit random how long the saves last in the memory.

Also congrats on your purchase Hanafuda, I hope you enjoy your SC MiniSD. In retrospect, I probably shoulda picked up a Supercard SD instead of my M3 SD because I still use my EFA for GBA. Just lazy and usually grab that first. But maybe some cool stuff is still on the way for M3. The GBA-NDS rom linkup is a nice feature that I hope will work with Rockman ZX once they release the new software for it.

15. FifthE1ement

United States
    You took my advice on the Ritek card huh? Good choice my friend! With that combo you have the portable gaming system of a lifetime! Do you have a Phat or Lite?

Now I've done a hulluva research on both the Supercard Mini-SD and the M3 Slim Mini-SD and here are the pro's and con's on both:

Supercard Mini-SD

Pro's
    Realtime DS game saves as if you had a real game in your DS!
    Great DS game compatibility with perfect performace!
    Same size as a GBA game so it sits flush with the DS Phat!
    Cheapest Flashcard to buy with great durability!
    Devs update the software often to add games all the time!

Con's
    Ok GBA game support but the micro-sd version needs to have faster ram!
    Could have a better menu system, as text is plain old.
    No RTC for GBA game? Should be a given!
    DS/GBA in-cart bonus system should work on more then two games!

M3 Slim Mini-SD

Pro's
    Good DS game compatibility with great performace!
    Ok save system but you have to reboot to finish saving.
    Best GBA compatibility of any flashcart!
    Updates are often but after more then like 8-10 games are released.
    Media functions built-in, so no need to install them yourself!
    Menu system with icons!

Con's
    Price, its one of the more expensive flashcarts.
    You have to reboot to finish saving?
    It's too big and doesn't fit in even the DS Phat flush!?
    Makes your DS look ugly when you see it sticking out.
    No RTC for GBA game? Should be a given!
    DS/GBA in-cart bonus system should work at all! They advertise it!

I'm not saying the Supercard is the "end-all-be-all" of the flashcart world but I choose it mainly for its DS game support and its size. Have you seen the M3 offering?! Its sticks out of even the DS Phat! I mean come on! The Supercard Mini-SD looks great in my DS Phat and you can't even tell I'm using it! Not to mention I can install the same media software on my Supercard that M3 offers and its FREE! And I love how the devs update the software all the time so that I'm always up to date!

FifthE1ement

16. Hanafuda
    OP

United States

Plan for tomorrow morning:
    haircut
    buy new lamp for son's bedroom
    buy some spackling compound and paint for damaged drywall
    dump old DS on Gamespot and buy DSLite.

Sometime next week I need to order a few things for my guitar, too.
    (I got a few hunnerd bux today as a belated b-day present.)

oh and I got an email from RealHotStuff ... my pckg already shipped. phuckin' A fast.
    Newegg won't ship till Monday though, so it'll probably be next Thursday before it's all in place.

17. Hanafuda
    OP

United States

EFA [​IMG]

I can't wait to see their EFA-Lite, though it's gonna be a while. That's one of the reasons I decided to go ahead and just get the Supercard to hold me over until better stuff comes along.

18. FifthE1ement

United States
    I will prolly never get a DS Lite as my hands are way too big and I don't much like the look or feel of them. I do like the screens though! I might just wait for some stores to get rid of their stock of Phat DS's and get a V5 firmware and flash the Lite Flashme on it so I can have the same screen brightness, etc.

I am also waiting to see what the next incarnations of the flashcart from M3 and Supercard have ready. They should be released in the next few months and I figure the Supercard is the best bet until everything new comes out. I just want a DS Phat with Lite screens dammit! LOL! I think the next revolution in the DS flashcart scene is the Ninjapass DS and the flashcarts that will come after it! I would die to have a type of flashcart that goes in the DS game slot with about 1 or 2GB of memory on it! I would even take 512MB like the G6 Lite! That is definitely the next gen flashcart. Problem is; in its current form its way to small capacity wise. You need at least 512MB or higher which I guess we'll see by fall. Imagine the extra battery life (normal battery life LOL), rumble pack support! Good days are a comin' my friend!

I love the way the Supercard sits in my DS just like a GBA game! PPL look at my system and see me playing and picking between like 50 games and are like WTF? How are you doing that!? I've sold a many a Supercard that way! The real deal maker is that the Supercard fits in the DS flush and you can't tell it’s there. Most people don't care about the GBA compatibility since most just want DS games. And once they see the M3 and what a monstrosity it is they really would rather have the Supercard!

I want a PSP but I'm not willing to pay over $200 for one then spend $40-50 for games! Homebrew is good there but you need huge memory cards to do anything. PSP has good graphics but its not worth the money. The DS is great for everyone but where are the RTS and FPS games? I mean Nintendo could make a game like Goldeneye or Perfect Dark for the DS and just make it under a new name and property! What about a C&C or Civilization game? Step it up Nintendo!

FifthE1ement

19. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Your kinda all over the place with this post aren't you? [​IMG]

Let's start with the NinjaPass DS or whatever. These carts will be great for DS and all, but keep in mind this. You will have absolutely no GBA support. I'm sure you don't mind it. Neither do I. I have a cart for GBA as I mentioned earlier. With that out of the way however, I hope that these aren't going to be too expensive. But hell, will have to see. I don't know how much it would cost to construct these.

Moving on to the PSP part. Glad to say that you do not need a large memory stick. You can stream games from a PC using a USB cable now. So the included 32MB memory stick will do fine. EDIT: Unless of course your looking for portability.

And just to be fair, I wouldn't call M3 MiniSD a "monstrosity" because of a millimeter or two. Keep in mind that these carts are piracy equipment (let's be honest, how many people here are homebrew developers?) and we are lucky enough to be getting ones as fancy, let's use that word for now, as the G6 lite or the Supercard MiniSD.

EDIT: Oh and touching back on the NDS Flash carts, I bet some homebrew will need to be updated to work on them. Not that it matters much.

20. FifthE1ement

United States
    I'm just excited to see what can be done with them. I'm sure they will cost more at first and be small in size but I think they will drop and become bigger by the begining of next year.

As for the PSP, I want a portable system to take 50+ games with me not have to bring a computer with me too. Even with a 4GB produo you can only fit a few games on there. I'll stick with my DS.

And if cheap ole' Supercard can make the mini-SD fit onto a GBA card, M3 can. M3 has a version but its only chinese but it fits flush with the DS. We pay good money for them so I have no problem demanding high quality and standards from them. I expect to get what I pay for.

FifthE1ment [​IMG]