nds on 3ds + upgrade from a9hl/gateway

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Aglae Pheryl, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Aglae Pheryl
    OP

Aglae Pheryl GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2014
    France
    Hi,

My kids are running N3ds & 3ds XL consoles all running a9hl in 11.3.0-36E & Gateway cards which they can choose at boot (yes they want to keep this if possible as they have Animal Crossing saves & cheats that they spent a long time on in GW mode).

1. How can they also play their old .nds file (in a9hl mode if possible) ? Do I need to install anything for them or convert the rom files?

2. They have messages to update their consoles in a9hl, I've told them not to update or they'll brick. Still correct ?

3. Is a9hl the latest/best they could use or is there a new update I should install for them (I have not looked into their consoles for ages).

Thanks,

2. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    They should be able to update without bricking, but you'd be best off upgrading them to use Boot9Strap instead. https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s

Best method for loading .NDS files is to use an old DS flashcart. Only other method is TWLoader, but compatibility leads a lot to be desired.

There are ways of transferring their Animal Crossing saves from Gateway to CIA versions of Animal Crossing on the home menu. Afterwards you may find that there's really no need or advantage to using a Gateway.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Use the GW blue cart for NDS games. It should work in Luma3DS right away, but to get it working in Gateway you have to be using Classic Mode AFAIK and you need bluecardfix.cia installed (it's included in the Gateway download)