Hacking NDS Lite Sound Volume

brien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i recall the sound on the DS Phat being quite loud..
now on my lite, a lot of the times i can bearly hear it.
certain sounds are louder then others, but for the most part my Lite seems to have a lot lower max volume then my Phat had..
even with headphones (nice headphones), i feel the sound doesn't go loud enough...

anyone else with this problem?

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I dont play with the sound on most of the time unless it calls for it.

It might just be the area that you are playing in. I know when I play in the other room, it sounds fine, but when I play on break at work, there is quite a bit of noise. If I turn on the sound, its not that loud...

But when I hook it up to my computer speakers (5+1 Altec Lansings) it sounds nice
smile.gif

biggiec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm noticing the same thing. I just switched to a DSLite (Onyx), and the second I put in Bleach DS and heard Ichigo say "Sega", I knew something was wacky.

raaamesh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
lol, why dident i think of 5.1 i am sitting right in front of one =D

will use it wen i can find my line in wire ¬_¬

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Although it might be a little lower then the Phat, I notice big differences
in loudness depending were I’m at. In the John the Lite is to loud, but
in my room it’s a little on the low side.

Moneo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What kind of headphones are you using?

With sennheiser mx500 I find that anything higher than ~60% is too loud.

But when I plug my hd580s (huge studio-ish headphoes, 10x higher impedance) I usually turn it up close to the maximum. Though, I find it pretty amazing that the ds can drive them at all, with my cd player they are unusable (quiet-ish, no bass to speak of).

Finally, don't forget that listening to music/playing on your ds at exteremely high volumes will damage your hearing... if the ds lite still isn't loud enough with 'regular' headphones at the max volume setting, I'd suggest re-thinking your definition of 'loud enough'. 8)

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The sound on the DSL does sound lower. Try turning on the DSL without a game inserted and leaving the volume slider midway then, do the same with the DSO (original). You can hear the clock ticking on the DSO but you can't on the DSL.

I think it's the position of the speaker holes... Look at where they're positioned on both DSes. That might be why some of the sound is being blocked off. I noticed that the surround sound effect seems to be better with the DSL, though.

brien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of headphones are you using?

With sennheiser mx500 I find that anything higher than ~60% is too loud.

But when I plug my hd580s (huge studio-ish headphoes, 10x higher impedance) I usually turn it up close to the maximum. Though, I find it pretty amazing that the ds can drive them at all, with my cd player they are unusable (quiet-ish, no bass to speak of).

Finally, don't forget that listening to music/playing on your ds at exteremely high volumes will damage your hearing... if the ds lite still isn't loud enough with 'regular' headphones at the max volume setting, I'd suggest re-thinking your definition of 'loud enough'. 8)
i go to raves every weekend.. so maybe my definition of loud is a little different them most.

omegatr0n

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DSOrganize just came out with a new version that has a volume multiplier...so it has to be somethign in the ndsl firmware...as teh speakesr are capable of being WAY louder...

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DSOrganize just came out with a new version that has a volume multiplier...so it has to be somethign in the ndsl firmware...as teh speakesr are capable of being WAY louder...
Hmmm... Not sure about cranking it higher than what's set officially. Then again, it might be like PCs... Most of them aren't set at 100% by default if you click on the speaker icon in the task tray. Same for when you first install Winamp.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that my NDSL has richer sound when I pull the jack a little bit back from complete insertion. The difference is night and day for me. I can feel the bass when the jack is pulled back slightly, but when I push it back in to normal position, I lose all of the detail. Does anybody else have this problem? I'm still under warranty, do you think I can get it fixed?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Could have something to do with the fact there are less holes for the speakers on the DSL, and the size of the speakers is the same IIRC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Exhausted but happy lol