Hacking NDS Lite Replacement Top Screen Discoloration?

Spartan117H3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've received two screens from DealExtreme. The first screen had a huge clump of dead pixels so I got a replacement. However, upon installing and testing both screens, I noticed that the top screen is immensely darker than the bottom screen. Can anyone explain why this is happening? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
First Screen With the Dead Pixel Clump:

Screen Replacement:

So far, I've soldered on the speakers, they work perfectly, but the screen is still dark.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disconnect and reconnect, make sure that the cable is properly inserted and locked in place.

Spartan117H3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried that a few times. The problem is, it's happening to BOTH screens. Yeah, I noticed it probably had to be something to do with the connection because if I leave the clip semi open, the screen will be normal. I've also tried moving where I clip the cable down, but no luck.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
i bought a new screen and the same thing happened on mine, dont think its that dark tho. i just live with it, if you tilt the DS more it looks normal, so the top screen is like 180 degrees to your body. thats how i usualy play anyway tbh

tedmg09130913

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will cost you about $23 to buy new screens from deal extreme. But if you buy the top and botom screens as a set then the brightness should match. Then you would simply need to adjust the brightness a bit higher for both screens

Spartan117H3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linkinworm said:
i bought a new screen and the same thing happened on mine, dont think its that dark tho. i just live with it, if you tilt the DS more it looks normal, so the top screen is like 180 degrees to your body. thats how i usualy play anyway tbh
The colors are actually wrong, it's not just dim. It looks kind of like negatives, but it's not opposite colored, just wrongly colored if you get what I mean.
QUOTE(tedmg09130913 @ Jun 6 2010, 11:23 AM) It will cost you about $23 to buy new screens from deal extreme. But if you buy the top and botom screens as a set then the brightness should match. Then you would simply need to adjust the brightness a bit higher for both screens
Uhh no. Why would I get a screen when my BOTTOM screen works? A replacement screen should match the original. Adjust the brightness for both? So you're saying I should get two discolored screens, up the brightness, and live with the broken colors?

I got this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3161 and it's nowhere near $23.

Shorkio

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
I had this problem too
ohmy.gif

I got it fixed when I cleaned (or tried, I don't remember anymore xD) that brown thing end of cable.
Have you tried clean contacts?
unsure.gif

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Spartan117H3 said:
linkinworm said:
The colors are actually wrong, it's not just dim. It looks kind of like negatives, but it's not opposite colored, just wrongly colored if you get what I mean.
QUOTE(tedmg09130913 @ Jun 6 2010, 11:23 AM) It will cost you about $23 to buy new screens from deal extreme. But if you buy the top and botom screens as a set then the brightness should match. Then you would simply need to adjust the brightness a bit higher for both screens
Uhh no. Why would I get a screen when my BOTTOM screen works? A replacement screen should match the original. Adjust the brightness for both? So you're saying I should get two discolored screens, up the brightness, and live with the broken colors?

I got this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3161 and it's nowhere near $23.
you mean like this?
DSC00365.jpg

Spartan117H3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shorkio said:
I had this problem too
ohmy.gif

I got it fixed when I cleaned (or tried, I don't remember anymore xD) that brown thing end of cable.
Have you tried clean contacts?
unsure.gif

Nope, shouldn't be dirty contacts for both, and I tried cleaning it already.
linkinworm said:
Spartan117H3 said:
linkinworm said:
QUOTE(tedmg09130913 @ Jun 6 2010, 11:23 AM)
It will cost you about $23 to buy new screens from deal extreme. But if you buy the top and botom screens as a set then the brightness should match. Then you would simply need to adjust the brightness a bit higher for both screens

you mean like this?
No, it's not purplish. Sorry, my camera kinda sucks so the pics are kinda "shaky" because of the bad focus. Anyways, here are 2 pics. I used Mario Kart for the game.

Spartan117H3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I found out that it's not the screen, it's something with the motherboard. There's no way my third screen would do the same thing. I have a multimeter so I can test stuff, this also has a blown F2 but it has nothing to do with the screen because it happened recently. So yeah, anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s