Gaming Nds lite freezes with and without slot1 card

xonn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello to everyone.
I'm working with a broken nds lite to create a gameboy macro. After have finished the work, I have discovered that it freezes if I hit softly the mainboard in the upper zone(over the touchscreen and next to charger port).
I'm a bit lost because it happens when I'm playing with a slot1 card or if I'm in home menu (no game inserted), but never freezes when I'm playing with a slot2 game.
Could it be related to slot1 or not?
Thanks a lot for your time :)

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have removed it and insert again a lot of times :(
Could be a weak holding?
And is there a way to strengthen connector?
Thanks!
I'm not sure, I have a DS motherboard that had a problem like this too (but much worse and I don't know about slot 2 games because I don't have any) and sometimes it just wouldn't turn on at all (the green light would come on but it would never get bright and there was nothing on the screens and no sound) and the same thing normally happens if there's no wireless card connected so I thought it could be an issue with the connection but it could also be something else on the motherboard
The games just freeze or go black and don't display any message like "The game card was removed"?

Reactions: Alexander1970

xonn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The games just freeze or go black and don't display any message like "The game card was removed"?
The game glitches, sometimes with a sound like radio interferences, and other times those interferences appear in screen too, like an old TV when there was white noise.
When this happens, the only solution is powering console off.
It's interesting that slot 2 never fails, even if i hit or shake the console.

Amez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This sounds like a problem that occurs with motherboards that have been wet or stood on,

If you have finished converting it to a Macro, how are you playing slot 1 games without the top screen?

Reactions: Deleted User

xonn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
This sounds like a problem that occurs with motherboards that have been wet or stood on,

If you have finished converting it to a Macro, how are you playing slot 1 games without the top screen?
With a R4 card you can install NES, GB, GBC, MasterSystem and GBA emulators and get infinity retro fun :)

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
So I redid the same mod (GBA Macro thing) from a topscreen broken phat NDS , some pictures added. But I am also getting freezes.
I am getting freezes in gbaemu4ds, but weirdly I ain't getting freezes from TGDS homebrew.

At first I tried a no soldering mod (which involves stripping the leds (led circuitry) from the upper screen, and keeping the led circuitry + the upper screen connector + the ribbon cable connected to the motherboard but the flex cable died. So I had to buy some 330 Ohm resistors.

I wonder if turning off the backlight of the missing screen will improve stability...

edit:

https://bitbucket.org/Coto88/gbarunner2/commits/7d369792e472024e2b81773a671a662b0d0a9ae7

And, as suspected, turning off the missing screen in a GBA Macro modded NDS / Lite will improve stability. No more freezes in GBARunner2! I guess other emus should support these features...

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 154
  • 2.png
    2.png
    783.1 KB · Views: 272
Last edited by Coto,

xonn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So I redid the same mod (GBA Macro thing) from a topscreen broken phat NDS , some pictures added. But I am also getting freezes.
I am getting freezes in gbaemu4ds, but weirdly I ain't getting freezes from TGDS homebrew.

At first I tried a no soldering mod (which involves stripping the leds (led circuitry) from the upper screen, and keeping the led circuitry + the upper screen connector + the ribbon cable connected to the motherboard but the flex cable died. So I had to buy some 330 Ohm resistors.

I wonder if turning off the backlight of the missing screen will improve stability...

edit:

https://bitbucket.org/Coto88/gbarunner2/commits/c6e78a36aeaca24b56659362b7fffde1c10ef31c

And, as suspected, turning off the missing screen in a GBA Macro modded NDS / Lite will improve stability. No more freezes in GBARunner2! I guess other emus should support these features...

I have a total of 4 NDSL, 1 NDSi (sold) and 3 NDSi XL, all with GBMacro mod (330 ohm resistor). The problem of freezing only appears in one, so I suppose that the problem is related to hardware, mainboard or slot1. But if you need I can check it with with same rom in each one to check it.

Last edited by xonn,

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Yeah, but I think the freezing issue on your side triggers when pressing the unit, and i never had freezing issues (when this GBA Macro was a NDS) except by shaking a lot the broken hinge. Also TGDS-audioplayer (using both screens) and gbarunner2 (from the most recent commit, turning off the unused screen) I experience no freezing at all. Where as gbaemu4ds does.

Yeah, we should make a list and test homebrew for these mods. For now, i'm inclined to think some DS models turned into GBA Macro may become unstable even by running through the 330 ohm resistor (if the DS motherboard isn't faulty, that is)

Last edited by Coto,
D

Deleted User

You could try and open the hardware to clean it.

Btw, the "fat" DS models are still good? I thought they didn't have backlight.

D

Deleted User

Yes, all NDS has backlight included.
That's good to know. I saw really cheap DS, but I already have a DS Lite and 3DS XL.

I also have a 2DS, but the screens are broken and the thumbstick is missing rubber.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs