Hacking Nds lite flashcards?

WrathofGod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure this has been posted hundreds of times. I have a flashcart for my gba but my gf wants a nds lite b/c the games. I have really no idea of the differences. I guess I don't need a slot 2 card as I really don't need gba support. So does that mean I just need a slot 1 card??? I sorta want something that u can add an sd card. I have a few of those for my wii. I just want something reasonably price. I guess theres not enough info and I dont know any pros or cons really. I'd be doing the flashing and stuff for her. Also if you flash ur ds wtf is the point of that??? THANKS

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, the only Slot1 Device that supports the big SD cards is NinjaDS, but as you can see in the pic's, the device is rather big.
If you want a normal DS-Cart sized thing, you'll need to use a MicroSD (TransFlash) kind of device.
Currently there are AceKard and NinjaPass, AceKard is harder to use, but NinjaPass is crap. Soon there will also be MicroNinja (that's from the NinjaDS company, not the NinjaPass), which will be just like NinjaDS but now normal size and MicroSD format.
Also there will be EZ5 and SuperCard DS coming, both also using MicroSD.
Ow, and there's a DSLink out already for a while, but that requires you to flash your firmware or keep switching cards with MK4-Mini...

But if you don't want to buy seperate MicroSD carts, you might want to use a Slot2 device. However, Slot2 devices using big SD carts will be big themselfs too, so expect them to stick out of the ds lite pretty much.
As you only want DS support, I think the big blue SuperCard will be a good choice.
Slot 2 devices require you to have a passcard in Slot1 though. (or to flash your firmware, but I don't think you want that)

-edit: ow, the flashing. Flashing is modifying your DS firmware to make it able to boot from Slot2. (and allow unsigned code to be run and so) However this will make you lose you warranty and it might go wrong, which will make your DS useless... But since the passcards, it's not needed to flash the firmware anymore...

WrathofGod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a little confused you mention like ninjads but also supercard...

Also I read about ninja ds and it doesn't support much homebrew
frown.gif
and has a problem on some games i really want to play. Is it still this way?

Also on that one link it says the m3 is actually better cause 100% rom capability and also homebrew
smile.gif

So if I didn't care if it stuck out or I had to switch memory then what would be the best choice?

What do you use and why?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you have a bunch of SD-cards, you can take either M3 SD or SC SD. Which one you choose is up to you (research). But you will need a Superkey or Passcard cause they are Slot-2 carts.

WrathofGod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If money wasn't an issue though what would be the best decision? I want flawless ds gameplay and if gba works thats just a bonus as I previously stated... Im sure I can find minisd cards cheap if I have to
smile.gif

WrathofGod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If money wasn't an issue though what would be the best decision? I want flawless ds gameplay and if gba works thats just a bonus as I previously stated... Im sure I can find minisd cards cheap if I have to
smile.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Any card can claim 100% DS rom compatibility, but the only one that has delivered on that promise is the Acekard.

Unfortunately it has vitually zero homebrew support, you need to use specific microSD cards to get it running full speed, the software (currently) totally sucks ass, and it's just a pain to use in general.

Still, it is the only 100% compatible card, and with the right microSD card it should run every DS game perfectly.

p.s. I use a G6 lite and so far I'm happy with it. The only game I wanted to play that doesn't work is Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam(doesn't work on ANY slot 2 cart), and it seems to have fewer problems than the carts that use SD cards.

WrathofGod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the acekard isn't what I want then.. What alternative solutions do I have? B/c if I get slot to I need a pss device correct or does that come as a set?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I use a G6Lite too. It's very good for DS and GBA, but it is limited to 512MB (on board memory). If you want more, get M3Lite.

WrathofGod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I went for a slot 2 device I think i'd go with
M3 SD Perfect
casue I can use sd cards but then I have to buy a passkey :s
At least I think I'm so confused about m3 products (SO MANY)

What would be good for slot 1 devices?

I would want something with clean rom support and whats with the internet stuff for nds games?

Also I still need a psskey to flash right?

bajibbles

Ragnafreak
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i think, like alot of this forum, you're waiting for a company to come good on all our wants before xmas
tongue.gif
. No slot1 card is entirely perfect, these seem to be the specs for one but no card can deliver fully...

MicroSD Compatible (preferably with side loading sd card)
Full compatability (this seems to just be a card software thing so if a good card comes out it would probably get this eventually in my experience)
Full homebew compatability
Direct Download Play to unflashed DS's (so you can multiplayer etc with legit people)
Fits perfectly into your NDS (surprising amount of cards didnt deliver on this)
Plug n play, no patching or needing a software (this really let ACEKARD down)
Price?

thats all i know at the moment. alot of cards are giving some of these but as youll notice alot of the new unreviewed ones are promising on all of them. Join the queue waiting for the mother of all cards
frown.gif

WrathofGod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think thats what it is gonna come to. With all these cards getting released right now maybe if I wait a month or so maybe something will come along as a slot 1 alternative
smile.gif

sumpm1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think thats what it is gonna come to. With all these cards getting released right now maybe if I wait a month or so maybe something will come along as a slot 1 alternative
smile.gif

I think that is right. There are basically cards coming out DAILY for the love of god. The most recent of which, the R4 claims no flashing roms, and $25! How much cheaper can you get? So like you said, in a month or 2 (trying to buy before Xmas is probably gonna leave you with a card that you don't want), you will have a bounch of great cards, and proven results to back them up.

TheValeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yeah .... wait for GBAtemp to get their reviews out of the Supercard DS 1 or whatever they call it and the M3 Simply [ gotta love those names
laugh.gif
]

They are the big players of the slot 2 scene and I think have the potential to be the biggies of the slot 1 scene as they update their firmware/software fairly regularly so giving the potential to fix issues with newly released games etc. Personal feeling is the M3 will be slightly better than Supercard .... but always happy to be proved wrong ....

Seriously though .... if they have greater than 90% compatability on first release then things look very good for slot 1 devices and if GBA support isn't part of your buying decision then either of these look good. The advantage of removable storage outweighs the slight compatability advantage of the DS-Xtreme in my eyes as 512mb onboard is too small for all those lovely games ... and I'm not into sticker-shock .... look at the price of that thing
ohmy.gif

I had a SD supercard/NDS combo and was very happy with it and having recently purchased a NDSL I am now awaiting delivery of a Supercard Lite as I like some GBA games and I'm not anal about the whole 100% compatability issue

So I too am looking forward to seeing the verdict on these cards ... especially before plunking money down on them. I'll base my purchase decision on quality and support any day over compatability with a particular game as I'll buy the odd game if it doesn't play properly .. it's called supporting the industry

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: