NDS Homebrew Bounty!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Jul 31, 2008.

Jul 31, 2008

NDS Homebrew Bounty! by Costello at 1:56 PM (56,525 Views / 0 Likes) 85 replies

1. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

[​IMG] NDS Homebrew Bounty!
    Monthly reward for best homebrew authors

We at GBAtemp are proud to announce the creation of a Monthly Homebrew Bounty, a bounty (fund-raising using donations from organizations and people) that will reward, each month, the author of the best homebrew. For now, this only goes for Nintendo DS homebrew but we might extend it to other platforms later.

[​IMG]

In order to show our support for the homebrew scene, GBAtemp will be sending a $200 contribution to the bounty, every month! You can contribute too, by using our ChipIn page! Your contribution, no matter how much it is, will be much appreciated and your name will appear on our front page when the winner is announced, at the end of the month. Let's now take a look at the rules:
    • Every month, one homebrew application or game is elected "Homebrew of the month", and its author receives the entire amount of money collected using the bounty.
    • Votings are done at the end of each month. Donators will be allowed to vote if their donation is $10 or above. Please note that GBAtemp.net will be donating $200 every month, but will only be entitled to 10 votes. The 10 voters from GBAtemp may vary every month, and will be selected among our staff & long-time trusted members.
    • There are no particular requirements for homebrew to be eligible to the competition, except for one point: the homebrew game or application must either be completely new, or have received a significant update specifically for this competition.
    • The same homebrew may win the competition several months successively, under the condition mentioned above: it must receive a significant update from one month to another.
    • To submit your entry, all you need to do is post a topic in our special dedicated Homebrew Bounty Forum. Your topic should be as helpful & descriptive as possible: presentation may be a key point for judges. If you need a hosting space for your homebrew projects, feel free to use our Download Center.
    • If you're a website owner and wish to join this project (and contribute on a regular basis) please send me a message! This bounty is held for the sake of the NDS scene and although we did start it, we would like this to be a general project, in everyone's best interest!
    Financing this project was made possible thanks to our partner sites!

[​IMG]
    DealWoot.com, new affiliate website

And let's not forget our other 3 partners!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] Use our ChipIn page if you wish to contribute to the bounty
    [​IMG] Make sure to check our Homebrew Bounty Forum regularly!
    [​IMG] In addition to the Homebrew Bounty, we have just created two new forums dedicated to homebrew: NDS and Wii Homebrew Forums.
    [​IMG] Our Download Center has already got over 700 homebrew files!

On a side note, Jim (aka. thieves like us) just finished writing his very detailed guide on how to disassemble and reassemble a Nintendo DS Lite! A must read!
    [​IMG] Read more...

2. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    I'm very glad that we're able to provide this bounty to the public, and want to thank our affiliates personally for helping make it happen! There are some very talented homebrew authors out there that seriously deserve some recognition and I hope that this bounty encourages them to continue making their software, and to keep making the people that use their software happy! [​IMG]

3. MR_COW

Member MR_COW GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is a very cool thing guys, its like a monthly neocomp.

Congrats for providing this, glad to see you supporting the homebrew scene!

4. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

Hopefully this will encourage some better homebrews. [​IMG]

So, this is for DS and Wii?

5. ScuberSteve

ScuberSteve Newbie

AND I KNEW ABOUT THIS FOR HOW LONG?

6. TeenDev

Member TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

United States
    OMG I LUV YOU COSTELLO

7. ScuberSteve

ScuberSteve Newbie

AND I KNEW ABOUT THIS FOR HOW LONG?

8. t4ils

Member t4ils GBAtemp Regular

France
    way to go guys
    very good job for this announcement, I'm glad to see how much you support homebrew devers [​IMG]

9. smealum

Member smealum growing up sucks.

United States
    Dla boulette toussa.

10. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    great idea. This could actually help amateur coders become professional!

11. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Thanks a lot to our sponsors for this, hopefully we're going to be seeing some more awesome homebrew very shortly!

12. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Sweet. Maybe I'll make a homebrew someday, and win

13. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I think is needs to be for the best hack too! It takes time to do a hack too.

But its still nice to get $200!

14. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Lol me too, I think it was for the last month or two [​IMG]

15. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Wow, this is really great what you guys are doing..That's a lot of money too!!

But everyone with the skill to make a decent homebrew deserves it..It's nit like they are payed for developing games and applications that get released for free!

16. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    Do custom firmwares count as homebrew? For example, if Smiths and Normmatt make another AKAIO release with RTS, slow motion, in game menu with text reader and cheat modifier, and wifi cheat updating (already supported) and millions of stuff will that count as an entry?

17. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    One of the best ideas (if not the best) you guys've had.
    A suggestion would be to have more winning spots. Like 1st 150$, 2nd 50$ and if this catches on with more monthly entries / updates, you can have 3 spots etc to encourage more.

Once this keeps on running for a while, we're going to see some high quality homebrew these upcoming months [​IMG]

18. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    Wow, I'm really impressed by this action. It's a really great thing that our beloved GBATEMP encourages good solid homebrew in this way.

I'm very curious what great things lie ahead of us...

19. pilotwangs

Member pilotwangs GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    OMGOMGOMG,this is amazing.

I can't belive how good this week has been for homebrew.

First we get the awesome podcast homebrewcast,then the DS and wii homebrew forums and now this!

I love GBAtemp.

20. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

We'd like to offer more but $200 is all we have. We thought that rewarding ONE best homebrew would have more impact since they would win more money in the end. If in the future we are able to make a bigger donation, this could be possible.