OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,
I want to learn to translate NDS Games,
can anyone help me pls.
Which data I have to take, which programs?
Or is there an Website about this (ithe site should be in german
wink.gif
)

thx to all answers

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ROM hacking/translating on the DS is doen in the same manner as any system, you find a table and the area of the rom that contains the text.
You find the area of the rom that contains the graphics (the use GBA ones for the most part)
Now you edit said text and graphics.
I know of no German sites but http://www.romhacking.net/ combines the knowledge and databases of several respected sites.

Bear in mind that DS roms can usually be broken down into their components with NDSTool/NDSTS which makes things easier by far.
Lack of emulation though is a nice drawback as everything has to be tested on real hardware.

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not Chinese...

Also, in order to translate from one language to another, it is a good idea to know both languages. If you are asking to translate from Japanese->English and you don't know Japanese, how would you translate it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
+1 on outphase's comments

Speaking of Chinese though it seems the Chinese translators have been going for it and now have an almost finished Chinese translation of Ochaken no Heya DS (the game somewhere between nintendogs and the sims if memory serves):
http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbrelds.php?id=0447
Translation details:
http://www.yyjoy.com/yy/?p=1185

As for actual translations I already posted how to do it but to simplify it yet further: you find a table (there may be more than one), for the DS it will likely come as a combination of relative searching, luck (nice file names are good here) and maybe the use of a corruptor/ASM knowledge.

Also you had better hope no complex compression/obfuscation either otherwise you are in for a long journey (Pokemon creators have a long history of making rom hackers and code creators jump through hoops to practise their arts).

So you have a table, now you have to find the text. As I mentioned DS roms can be broken apart using NDSTS or NDStool so things get easier.
You need to get the script, translate it and reinsert it.

Say process applies for pictures, i.e. menus (although the tables are essentially already defined: normally GBA 4 bits per pixel (GBA 4bpp) or 8bbp).

Above all no translator really is going to help you with a game that will see a Western release and a brand new Pokemon certainly will.

Sorry for the releatively quick run through but it has been said before, also I am saving some for the GBA/DS rom hacking 101 type document I am writing as we speak.

If you are desperate for some info though I came across this document today: http://desnet.fobby.net/doc/AoRH.html which details pretty much everything a rom hacker would want to know (albeit for the nes, it all applies though).

romeoondaline

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You Know wat would be kewl if someone came up with a program that translates roms i mean all u have to do is put the rom in it selcet the lang u want it to be and TADAAA u have the same rom with a differnt language
just putting ideas to all that are computer software people
wink.gif
, I know sum 1 can do it
yaynds.gif

mekaxero

I am the alpha, and the omega
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you knew what it took to make a rom translation, then you would know that it is impossible to make a program to tranlsate any rom into any language. a computer program cannot do a translation, and even if it could be done, then there would be translations of games that you get when you try to use an online translator. some things might make sense, but the rest would be something that would be very hard to understand.

Each game has to be handled differently, so there will never be a program to do it for every rom.

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
English Spanish is barely doable and the language structure is more similar than English Japanese. Ever try using Babelfish to translate a website and realize it doesn't make sense? That's what a computer translates like. Suck it up because ???????????

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How the hell do u kno
lecture.gif

I bet it can cus i have seen a tranlater for sumthing else
yaynds.gif

QUOTEIn A.D. 2101
War was beginning.
Captain: What happen?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb.
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What !
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It's You !!
Cats: How are you gentlemen !!
Cats: All your base are belong to us.
Cats: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say !!
Cats: You have no chance to survive make your time.
Cats: HA HA HA HA ....
Captain: Take off every 'zig' !!
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move 'zig'.
Captain: For great justice.

Golds

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
too bad you cant copy the rom text onto a website and let bablefish translate it for you, it may not be perfect but it would be fast.

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you guys wanna try something cool, and point out how useless online translators are, try this:

Try [Language1] -> [Language2]

Then, retranslate the result.... [Language2]->[Language1].

You can repeat it for worse and worse results every time.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
If you guys wanna try something cool, and point out how useless online translators are, try this:

Try [Language1] -> [Language2]

Then, retranslate the result.... [Language2]->[Language1].

You can repeat it for worse and worse results every time.
Here's the Lord's Prayer
English -> Japanese -> English

God art of the heaven which is sanctified thy name our fathers who are listing.
Afterlife Thy.
Thy tries to be with the earth in the heaven. Our everyday pans give this day in us.
In order thing invasion to permit those and us vis-a-vis us, permit our invasions in us.
And it is not in love with in temptation, lead we. But give birth to us from badness. Amen.

Give birth to us from badness! Bwah ha ha ha ha!
rofl2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back