nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
card.v2 release
Mario Hoops 3-on-3: Boots with the same chip type. It gets to the title screen animation, but it stays there with a choppy sound (it doesn't seem to progress, but you can barely see the title in the top screen), and it gives a error without the same chip type inserted.

I will quickly test soon Sonic Rush Adventure too. BTW I had a compatible cart inserted when I booted Mario Hoops, and it can't be played since it doesn't get to the title screen menu (I played MMX3 for a good while and still didn't load, so I suppose it doesn't go past there).

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
In latest unofficial commit, Sonic Rush Adventure shows logos but white screens if same chip type cart is inserted, and a data error if there isn't one inserted.
In card.v2 release, Sonic Rush Adventure only stays in a white screen no matter what.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In latest unofficial commit, Sonic Rush Adventure shows logos but white screens if same chip type cart is inserted, and a data error if there isn't one inserted.
In card.v2 release, Sonic Rush Adventure only stays in a white screen no matter what.

I'd consider this progress...sorta. :)

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have no access to my 3ds, can somebody confirm if Kirby Superstar Ultra works right now?
If you boot Kirby Super Star Ultra without a cart it displays a "save error" screen.
If you boot it with a compatible cart, you will be able to enjoy a beautiful, white square.

EDIT: card.v2

Last edited by seseiSeki,

Guipradi

Trophies
XP
Country
Starting 999 with the last update prompts the white screen and after a while a black screen, then it plays the menu selection sound and stays there, i presume it's because there is no chip for save loading.

TheMynx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Pokémon SoulSilver and HeartGold lock up on a white screen as soon as you launch them. Same applies to SacredGold/StormSilver.

EDIT : Used latest version at the time of posting. Also waited 15ish minutes on the white screen.

Last edited by TheMynx,
Reactions: Stack3r

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
Mario and Luigi Partners in Time (US) is working after wait about 7 minutes to menu. I didn't wait enough for the game start after choose the file, maybe it works with a card inside, idk

TLNiles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Sonic Rush loads to "Save corrupt" error much faster now compared to 0.0.3 release. On the start it might get choppy for a bit when you skip/get to start screen, then reaches the "press start" screen.
I let Press Start screen to stay for a bit. It took a good while for Demo Play to start running, but it seemed to run okay, so I guess it majorly works well? Since Sonic Rush Adventure supposed to use same engine (not sure?) I might suggest that previous post actually suffered from long loading times, while the game itself actually is, in fact, playable. I surely can say that Sonic Rush is playable, if not count loading times.
UPD: Sonic Rush special stage puts the game on white screen. It actually doesn't seems to load and sure takes much longer than usual loading time delay.
UPD2: used unofficial bootstrap.

Last edited by TLNiles,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Rush loads to "Save corrupt" error much faster now compared to 0.0.3 release. On the start it might get choppy for a bit when you skip/get to start screen, then reaches the "press start" screen.
I let Press Start screen to stay for a bit. It took a good while for Demo Play to start running, but it seemed to run okay, so I guess it majorly works well? Since Sonic Rush Adventure supposed to use same engine (not sure?) I might suggest that previous post actually suffered from long loading times, while the game itself actually is, in fact, playable. I surely can say that Sonic Rush is playable, if not count loading times.
UPD: Sonic Rush special stage puts the game on white screen. It actually doesn't seems to load and sure takes much longer than usual loading time delay.
UPD2: used unofficial bootstrap.
Exiting special stage puts the game on white screen.

TLNiles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Exiting special stage puts the game on white screen.
Entering it still puts me on the white screen, pretty much :D This time I'm checking on official release. By special stage I mean emerald ones, where you spin the special thing to enter it.
Also, after first 2 acts, it gets really choppy on cutscene, and after 2-3 pieces of Sonic-Eggman chat the game seems to freeze. Overall running on first 2 levels seems to be OK.
UPD: Attempted to run Rush Adventure on official release of bootstrap. Still doesn't let you to get past save data error, so it's unlikely to be playable/testable until save redirection is implemented

Last edited by TLNiles,

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Entering it still puts me on the white screen, pretty much :D This time I'm checking on official release. By special stage I mean emerald ones, where you spin the special thing to enter it.
Also, after first 2 acts, it gets really choppy on cutscene, and after 2-3 pieces of Sonic-Eggman chat the game seems to freeze. Overall running on first 2 levels seems to be OK.
UPD: Attempted to run Rush Adventure on official release of bootstrap. Still doesn't let you to get past save data error, so it's unlikely to be playable/testable until save redirection is implemented
I already tested Rush Adventure in both official and unofficial, official gives white screen (maybe should have tried WITHOUT the cart inserted), and unofficial either whitescreens with the cart inserted or gives data error without one (BTW unofficial shows the logos)

TLNiles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I already tested Rush Adventure in both official and unofficial, official gives white screen (maybe should have tried WITHOUT the cart inserted), and unofficial either whitescreens with the cart inserted or gives data error without one (BTW unofficial shows the logos)
Try without cartridge first - don't forget the dangers that game will be trying to save the game into it, overwriting existing data. At least make backups before doing so!
I put on unofficial release again and put my only DS cartridge (Sonic Chronicles) into the slot and tried to run Rush Adventure. It seemed to fire up and overwritten save data(I guess?), gave me the logo and now I'm enjoying th changing cranky sounds of the game that tries to run past the logos. It SEEEMS to be trying to run... but how it struggles to even reach Press Start screen, it doesn't seems to be playable currently.
UPD: Yup. As indeed, it overwritten save data. Didn't though it was able to do so with this cartridge... previously it's been blocking the game from saving.
UPD2: Sonic Rush also seems to be able to save on Sonic Chronicles cartridge, of all the sudden. So I guess that's actually... normal? At least it clearly no longer shows save corrupt error on start with unofficial bootstrap release.
UPD3: It was also now able to get a bit futher on cutscene? And after one of Sonic's sayings nearly the whole screen got covered in broken pixels. Game is now unplayable as I can't proceed on the cutscene tho, but music still plays normally.

Last edited by TLNiles,

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks to "Kyouken" Ⅰ figured out how to play homebrew games. Since those games obviously do not have covers, Ⅰ made one for "NetHack" and "Rogue". If anyone wants to use these, here you go.
Ⅰ also scanned and resized the cover of Pokémon White 2 [GER] because, apparently, neither this game, nor the cover exist.
Also included in this .rar is a clear cover (Just the "Nintendo DS" logo on the left.) to make your own covers for homebrew games if you don't like the question mark.

Attachments

• Additional Covers.rar
    101.7 KB · Views: 266
Reactions: Deleted User

Guipradi

Trophies
XP
Country
Now 9 Hours, 9 Presons, 9 Doors (USA and EUR) loads quickly the white screen, goes to black and after some seconds plays the menu selection sound, button inputs do nothing, meaning probably the game needs to load / write save data and stays there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm telling on you