1. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Argentina
    If it happens on every game it may he a hardware issue. Have you tried cleaning the speakers and or the mic?

Robz8 likes this.
  2. havocdrake

havocdrake Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Philippines
    Its about the CIA forwarder issue, it always has a crackling sound. nds-bootstrap somehow treat it in another way.

3. AceTrainerMike

Newcomer

United States
    I don't know if anyone's ever asked this, but is the pokewalker supported in anyway? Lost my heart gold copy while visiting a friend, but luckily I had backed up the save and a copy of the game so this is the only way I can play for now until I can get it replaced.

4. Lotoonlink

Lotoonlink Probably doesn't know what he's talking about

United States
    It is supported but the way the pokewalker connects to the game is through an IR sensor on the physical cartridge so you need to plug in another ds game that has an IR sensor like the pokemon BW/B2W2 games while you connect to the pokewalker with hgss running on nds-bootstrap. You can't use the IR sensor that's built into the 3ds unfortunately, it has to be from another ds game that has one on the cart.

Tarmfot, Robz8, banjo2 and 1 other person like this.
  5. AceTrainerMike

Newcomer

United States
    Oh, great! I have White 2 so I think that should work. Thanks!

kop365, Robz8, banjo2 and 1 other person like this.
  6. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I used to have the crackling audio when using forwarders, what I do is close the screen and re open and it works flawlessly

Sorry if this was already posted but I'm not reading through 264 pages again

Tarmfot likes this.
  7. havocdrake

Newcomer

Philippines
    Nope not working, same with HOME + CANCEL, 1 second w/o crackling but then there again after. So annoying... :>

8. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    sorry to hear that bro, it's always worked for me... don't know what to suggest then :(

kop365 likes this.
  9. havocdrake

Newcomer

Philippines
    Must be prominent on other games, i tried the forwarded FE:Shadow Dragon and FE: Heroes of Light and Shadow.

10. raxadian

Argentina
    The hilarious thing is that I have two Pokewalkers, a DS and a DS Lite and Soul Silver and Heart Gold and I never ever used the Poke walker... Because I have an original R4 with Wood so cheating was way easy on Fourth Gen.

Anyway, Fourth Gen game rom save files have dedicated cheat programs for them, so using the Pokewalker is at most just because.

11. banjo2

banjo2 gamer

United States
    Is it notable on the compatibility list that only the Mario Party DS multicard multiplayer client doesn't work, but the host works?

raxadian and alexander1970 like this.
  12. TheAutisticGamer

TheAutisticGamer Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    hey whenever I launch puyo pop fever DS using twilight menu plus plus. I get a freeze whenever I load a cutscene. Can you help?

13. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL
    Developer

United States
    Make sure "Expand ROM space in RAM" is not set to "Yes+512KB".
    If it's already not set to that, and it still freezes, turn off heap shrink in the per-game settings.

banjo2 likes this.
  14. alexander1970

alexander1970 Better now ?

Austria
    Hello.:)

May I ask please,do you have the latest Version v16.0.3 ?
    (and nds-bootstrap Version v0.35.1)
    You can check it in the TWiLight Settings.

Thank you.:)

peteruk, Zense, banjo2 and 1 other person like this.
  15. raxadian

Argentina
    Pokemon Emerald has anti-piracy protections, you might want to use a rom with those removed or something.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

What kind if anti piracy does it have? This is the first im hearing of the GBA pokemon games having anything like that

17. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Italy
    Yeah, there are some select few cases of AP measures in GBA games, though Pokémon Emerald is not one I've ever heard anyone mention. However, you could always start a debate about what the definition of AP measures actually is. The only games I can remember with AP measures are the Legacy of Goku games plus some other Dragon Ball titles, which have patches incorporated in GBArunner2 thanks to @Robz8 , and the NES classics that were made deliberately hard to emulate to combat piracy, if I am to understand endrift, the mGBA dev, correctly.

I mean you could say that any rom that is coded in such a way to make it hard to emulate has AP measures, and I'm not sure if Pkmn Emerald is like that. Although I don't think you could ever really be 100% sure whether it is or isn't unless you were part of the team developing it, because from someone on the outside it might just look like bad coding or unneccessarily convoluted coding, while it might just be intentional. An exception is of course if the code introduces glitches, bugs, performance loss or the alike - that would just be bad coding. Those are just my thoughts and digressions, though.

So if you're encountering issues running Pkmn Emerald more than likely you're running a DS version of GBArunner2 that is not from the hirom branch. The solution would therefore be to change to a release from that branch, which can be found on the top of the releases on the gbarunner2 wikitemp page.

If you're on a CFW'd DSi or 3DS running from SD card you should be able to run it, so either you're using an old version or you have a bad rom.

Last edited by Zense, Oct 2, 2020
  18. raxadian

Argentina
    Pokemon has included anti-piracy measures as far back as Pokemon Crystal. In Crystal it was the pirated game not working all that well to make people know it was a pirate copy. On the GBA generation the whole dried battery thing, when tne games were new, was an easy way if your game was not original.

With Pokemon Emerald, there may be other issues.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/921905-pokemon-emerald-version/63707671?page=1

Oh can't forget the whole time thing in second gen was a way to let players know they had a pirate game but it was quite minor and annoyingly you had to wait like a say to find out if you weren't paying attention.

19. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Italy
    Well, the whole Real-Time Clock (RTC) thing with old emulators wasn't so much about AP as it was about bad emulation. Basically these emulators hadn't implemented RTC yet which made the Pokemon Games give the "The Battery has dried out" message, because to the game it seemed like the internal battery found inside those pkmn game cartridges had indeed run dry, gone empty, making the ingame time stop. This is also why some bootleg pkmn cartridges give that error message because the roms are put on PCBs lacking the necessary stuff for RTC. At least for good fake cartridges and real cartridges you can just open it and put in a new battery.

I read your link but I could only see examples of this and of bugs that are found in a real copy of the game running on real hardware, and it also seems to only be about bootleg cartridges. For example, if we're talking glitches I wouldn't call Missingno an AP measure.

Also don't confuse AP measures with Anti-cheat measures. IVs and specific controls to tell if pokemon are not fake are also not AP measures in my definition at least.

Last edited by Zense, Oct 2, 2020
  20. raxadian

Argentina
    The 3DS has real hardware to run GBA games is why the "ports" are so perfect.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - commercial, bootstrap, backups